ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rubbing strips - off or on

BMW 320d Sport

The front and rear bumpers are either gonna have their rubbing strips colour coded or taken off and Im putting on a set of M3 skirts, they dont stick out too much...but the question is do I keep the side rubbing strips and just colour code them? Or take them off and smooth the sides? Theyre the phase1 by the way, not the chunkier phase 2s. Will it lose its chunkiness without the strips, look too narrow waisted?

BMW 320d Sport

Thats kind of what Im thinking myself. Was really wondering if anyone had any really good arguments for smoothing them out? Im keeping the roof rails in cos its a lost cause trying to get rid of them without it cracking. The boot lid is gonna be totally smooth but Im keeping the wiper, the locks and front badge are gonna be gone as well.

clio williams, Ph1 172

Get phase 2 and colour code em. Think Im gonna do that. The phase 1s are rubber and the paint may flake off em easy.

keep em on and not coded, as itll just piss you off bad when you get a door opened into the side of yours after a fresh respray etc etc..........useful things lol.

nick if ya keep the rub strippes update to phase 2 ones

if y do decdie to pay more for haveing them removed and filled, the its a good move too. look at nevs silver valver in the gallery looks as smooth as feck and bloody nice dont it

Nick! remember how blank the white one looked at the FCS, if you get rid of them youve gotta do something about the bumper strips or itll look all odd. Colour code the ones youve got or get phase2s, but dont get rid of them.

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah but cost is not really the issue. Itll be roughly the same whether i get them done or not. Thats a nice idea about getting the phase 2 strips and colour coding them. Will they still match with the strips on the bumpers? Marcus one does look good without the side strips but thats cos hes got crazy side skirts, mine are gonna be a lot less obvious.

well, jsut think, when somebody opens their door into yours, all that paint will flake off and look really bad till you get it done again and well, it all adds up.

Dunno, just looking from diff angles...........30 quid now, 30 later etc etc etc......alot of dosh to have 2 plastic bits that nobody really notices the same colour.

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah but thats the whole point. You only dont notice them on a standard car. Seeing as mine will have just had a respray in Subaru Blue with the locks taken out and a bit of smoothing going on anyway, its gonna look bloody shoddy to leave the standard unpainted strips on there?

dunno, i wouldnt think so.....i think the cup racers look bloody decent with the plastic strips in black....as goes for the MK1 172.

172 exclusive no 172

i would say keep them. If you remove them it will look to smooth for the car and also start looking like a NOVA GTE :D

leave me on the doors will look naked on a relatively standard car, on my car for example theres so much goin on ya dont really notice it i dont think, on that valver pic it actually looks like somethings missing

definetly off as they look so much better off really suits the curves of the car unless uv got a light coloured 1 where it needs something to break up the shape!!

BMW 320d Sport

OK After seeing Steves photoshopped one and considering all the evidence Ive decided the strips are staying but I will definitely colour code them and maybe change them for phase 2 jobs.

Cheers everyone!