ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ruined little orange clio

came out of work and though there was bird s**t on car, so as soon as I got home out came the quick detailer and microfibre. Turns out whats on my car is in fact... big spots of varnish/glue :(

The Car's been sat in 23 degree sunshine all day, so its well and truly baked on, nothing in my car detailing box is touching it.

there's 5 blobs on the bonnet and N/S wing, all of which are built up quite thick and the size of a golf ball. gutted! :(

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

parked a good 20 ft away from the nearest small tree.

I don't think its vandals either tbh... im sure there would be more of it if it was done deliberately and I don't have any enemies.

Looks like high build varnish tbh, im gonna break out the 1200 grit wet n dry and see what happens... but chances are a respray is on the cards. So far I've spent an hour with Scratch X, SRP, AG Tar remover, White Spirit, AG engine machine cleaner, AG Bright Wheels (lol was worth a try) and Pure Alcohol.... none of which have made a difference, and the pics were taken after this effort! :(

Looks like some kind of sap or something, somebody chucked a kfc cup of coke off the bridge onto my clio (the space I usually park it) and that baked on, was a devil to get off.
I can't understand how it would of got on there though providing it was parked in its usual spot, you sure it happened at work? Any cctv?

Chocolate Bar™
try some 2500 grit, sand it back and the get someone to pc out the marks if you dont own one yourself, thats the only thing i can suggest

was parked in its usual parking space Alex... a fair way away from the trees.

I only washed the thing yesterday evening, so definitely happened today at work. Its stronger than sap/coke... its dried solid just like high build varnish.

Found some 1500 grit and using AG bodywork shampoo conditioner as the lubricant.
The 1500 grit w&d is working.... very slowly! i'll have a LOT of paint correction to do after the 1500grit has done its job :(

was parked in its usual parking space Alex... a fair way away from the trees.

I only washed the thing yesterday evening, so definitely happened today at work. Its stronger than sap/coke... its dried solid just like high build varnish.

Found some 1500 grit and using AG bodywork shampoo conditioner as the lubricant.
The 1500 grit w&d is working.... very slowly! i'll have a LOT of paint correction to do after the 1500grit has done its job :(

Thats a bugger that is, no sign of anything on the tarmac, like someones dropped a pot of varnish and splattered it everywhere or someone on their way to the tip has lost a tin of something out of their truck and splattered your car...

Good luck with that, if you want the pc this weekend give us a shout.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Not followd a lorry or something this morning? Ie its been dripping off a load etc??

you tried using a detailing buffer like that one meguires sell? i had very similar stain on mine and that brought it off with a harsh cutting solution. used abit of sealent and wax after and it was as new .

hope it helps :)

just got back from Homebase with some Cellulose Thinners (cheers for the tip Steve). The 1500 grit helped, but can see it ruining the clearcote as im scrubbing, so have stopped that now.

I dont have a PC, but Alex has kindly let me borrow his if required... i'll see what I can do by hand first. Its gonna be a long night :(

I'd very gently use a softer grit paper around 2000 maybe and then use a little g3 to buff it back up with a machine polisher, then will just have to use some other less abrasive polish for a proper shine again

Gutted!

Not sure what else to say to use?

I know Auto Glym Tar & Adhesive remover (Trade) is a lot stronger than the normal stuff, but not sure if it'll work?

Good luck in getting it off.

Hmmmmmm, Alex sent me a PM and asked me to have a look. If you are sure its varnish then you have no choice but to wetsand 1500 would be your best bet...

How do you know that you are rubbing away clearcoat BTW?

Tar remover is a waste of time that wont touch it.

If worst comes to the worst I know someone that will spray it cheap for you providing you can take the panel off yourself! (sorry without going back I'm sure you said it was just the front wing?)

Anyway back to fitting my cat back on I'll check back in a while!

its on the bonnet and wing Matt... the 1500 grit helped lots but also marked the clearcote lots. Took most of it off though... but now the areas are really dull and scratched up. Looks awful!

gonna head out now to see what the cellulose thinners can do.

Tesla MP3 2021
Is it just me or is attacking your paint with any kind of wet and dry / grit paper sound like a bad idea. Gutted for ya matey anyways :(

Is it just me or is attacking your paint with any kind of wet and dry / grit paper sound like a bad idea. Gutted for ya matey anyways :(

not at all... take your time with plenty of water/soap and wet sanding brings out good results. Time will tell in this case...

im on the final stages now... the thinners removed some more of the worse stuff... I can still see the raised ridge from the outline of the blobs, and a s**t load of dull/pitting marks from the wet n dry.

I will not be defeated by the varnish! ;)

Tesla MP3 2021
Well Im no expert in this field but I would never attempt it myself. Good luck with getting it off anyways.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII

It's done after spraying a panel fresh too, to remove all the nubs and imperfections. Then a good G3 polish and a wax and the panel shines perfectly.

Sorry to hear this mate. Stick to the 1500, and so long as you don't go through the basecoat it should hopefully polish up.

edit: Don't be afraid to use 1200 too. Just be careful.

Could be a long shot but what about wonder wheels? Done quickly?

already used AG Clean Wheels (pretty much the same) and it didn't shift it. God bless wireless internet... can keep reading people's tips on this thread while the laptops sat on the bonnet of my car :D

doing some more 1500 wet n dry at the mo.

My arm's aching :(