ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running in period

206 GTI
My 172 has been in the garage for a while (read f**king ages lol) has had a brand new bottom end, reconditioned head, cams, remap etc. Some places are telling me it needs run in and treated with kid gloves for 1k miles others are saying it doesnt. Can anyone suggest whether it does need run in and driven very carefully for 1k miles or whether it doesnt?

Drive it hard get the revs up and on full load within 25 miles you need to bed the piston ring in. (you need to wait till its warm though).

2005 Nissan Navara
full load yes....revs not so much. yup u want (as it always should be) the oil to be fully hot.

give it bursts of full load in say 3rd and 4th, then let her over run. do this for a while then change oil.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
edde said:
Drive it hard get the revs up and on full load within 25 miles you need to bed the piston ring in. (you need to wait till its warm though).

You seem to be suggesting to use it hard soon.

So why does Renault say lay off a new car for 1,000 kms/miles or so?

The wisdom used to be that the faster you run a car in the faster it gets to maximum power and the faster it wears out. Which is OK for a race engine. And good for business for people who make money rebuilding engines. But its not the way to get the maximum life from your car. I don't know whether it ever was actually true, and even if it was whether it still is given how much better and more precisely engines are built these days.

GordonD said:
You seem to be suggesting to use it hard soon.

So why does Renault say lay off a new car for 1,000 kms/miles or so?

The wisdom used to be that the faster you run a car in the faster it gets to maximum power and the faster it wears out. Which is OK for a race engine. And good for business for people who make money rebuilding engines. But its not the way to get the maximum life from your car. I don't know whether it ever was actually true, and even if it was whether it still is given how much better and more precisely engines are built these days.
Because if somehting breaks at 2k it won't cause much damage it it breaks at 6k then its expensive to fix. Renault don't raly care about hp one or 2 either way on a slowly bedded in engine vs hard bedding it doesn't mean anyhting to them they don't care.
You need the rings to make a good seal but to do this you drive as Satn etc said most people who do this then hammer the car hgard any even then they last forever rust of the body is the first thing most likly to happen. Myself and others have always hammered engines for thousands of miles without issues.