ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ryobi 400Nm Impact Wrench

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've been looking for a decent cheap impact wrench for working on my car, after having issues removing the pinch bolt on a ball joint this weekend. Then thinking of all the times one would really have come in handy. I do pretty much all my own work on all my cars, except for timing belts.

I don't really want to buy something that isn't going to be much use though, and could do with it before the weekend, as i still need to remove the pinch bolt. But i don't want to spend big money on something that'll be more than i need 99.9% of the time.

So I've come across the Ryobi 400Nm starter kit on sale at Halfords for £135. This seems like a decent option for the money, includes a charger, 2Ah battery and a few sockets.

Has anyone got any first hand experience with this tool? and is 400Nm going to be plenty powerful enough for most jobs?

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
I use one pretty much every weekend its decent enough for the money. Ive undone hub nuts, wheel nuts gearbox bolts pretty much anything really.

Iv also used it in my day job fixing anchor bolts into walls for industrial garage doors.

Only once as it not removed a hub nut for me and that was on a transit that had rusted solid.

The 5ah battery is a must tho

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
The Ryobi stuff is pretty decent.

400Nm should be plenty, but you'll soon go through that 2ah battery if it's being used all day.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Same company as milwaukee now so the newer stuffs much better.

I've got an older version which is ok but it struggles with stuff thats really tight, I think the 400Nm rating is optimistic.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Well I ordered the Ryobi last night in bed using there click and collect service, so paying on collection. As i wanted to ensure i could collect it today, as might not get chance later in the week. Just wanted to make sure it was worth a punt before collecting it.

The Ryobi stuff is pretty decent.

400Nm should be plenty, but you'll soon go through that 2ah battery if it's being used all day.

The battery concerns me a little. But i don't expect to be using it for long periods of time. The 5ah battery is around £60 (or non genuine £35). So if it starts to become an issue i could pick up a replacement should. Just don't want to spend too much right now really.

Same company as milwaukee now so the newer stuffs much better.

I've got an older version which is ok but it struggles with stuff thats really tight, I think the 400Nm rating is optimistic.

There is also a smaller rated version which is around 200Nm. But again, the rating were a bit of a concern as the reviews I've seen on various Impact wrenches online don't always tally up correctly to the max torque specs (the lower spec sometimes being more powerful than the higher).

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I use one pretty much every weekend its decent enough for the money. Ive undone hub nuts, wheel nuts gearbox bolts pretty much anything really.

Iv also used it in my day job fixing anchor bolts into walls for industrial garage doors.

Only once as it not removed a hub nut for me and that was on a transit that had rusted solid.

The 5ah battery is a must tho

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, that's pretty useful

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
great timing. I didn’t know if to wait until Black Friday for a deal on these but this isn’t bad value as it is now. £128 with trade card aswell.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Loads of videos on YouTube where people have measured and compared the torque of the major players.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Had a go with one of these for a short time and seemed really good for the money. Thinking about buying one myself.

Can get the body only for £83 on amazon then a 5.0Ah aftermarket battery for £27 making it a bit cheaper than buying from Halfords or elsewhere.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'd deffo be getting a higher Ah battery.
As said, look at getting a 4 or 5ah battery.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I'd avoid getting aftermarket batteries, generally not as good as genuine and they'll void your warranty.

But if you're not too bothered then go for one.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Picked it up about an hour ago. Not going to get chance to properly play with it until the weekend most likely. But will report back when I do.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Had a go with one of these for a short time and seemed really good for the money. Thinking about buying one myself.

Can get the body only for £83 on amazon then a 5.0Ah aftermarket battery for £27 making it a bit cheaper than buying from Halfords or elsewhere.
I remember this, was used on your top mounts wasn't it? Was properly good for the money

Take after your dad you

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Di that with an SAD lamp after 2 months. Ended up using it as a car work light. They said "I am aware you have been using this outside in a dirty environment but I will refund you anyway" hahahaahaha

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
yep i run lots of Ryobi stuff for home, got the grinder , drills , impact gun , chainsaw, light, vacume,
all good and works well.
b&q sell it all aswell and have some good deals on.
best to buy the kits with the 5ah or 4ah batterys works out a lot cheaper than buying them seperate

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
@Darryl_1983 how did you find the impact driver now you have had it a couple of months?

Forgot I'd not replied to this.

Honestly, it's not quite as powerful as I'd hoped. But it's probably fine for 95% of the bolts I'd need to undo on the car to be fair. And most of the bigger stuff is easy accessable with a breaker bar anyway.
It will undo a wheel bolt for example, unless it's been slightly overtighten with a breaker bar. It wouldn't move the hub nut either. But I guess that's probably to be expected.

I've only used it once so far, but it was definitely very handy. Managed to move a bolt I'd been having issues with using a ratchet/breaker bar due the the bolt being rusty and mangled (much easier to keep it Square and add pressure, without worrying about also rotating the bolt.

I'd say it's probably worth getting something slightly more powerful if it was to be used regularly, maybe around 600+Nm.

I'm pretty happy with it though overall. And the battery was fine. I just kept throwing it in to the charger unit when I knew I wasn't going to be using it for a while.

I'll likely be using it again this week, as I've got a load of little jobs to get sorted. It should save me quite a bit of time going forwards

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
But more expensive, especially with a battery. But the DeWalt XR series are really good for the money.
The half inch version will munch through anything you chuck at it. https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...r-brushless-cordless-impact-wrench-bare/4660j

We use one of these at work for the small bolts and it is more powerful than the 1/2" air guns we have, for the tighter stuff we use this not much it will not undo 😂

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
SGS are selling a 400nm version with a 4ah battery for 155.

Seems pretty good?

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
When I was back in the window fitting game I would use Ryobi all the time. Its decent stuff for the price and it took a beating all day long. I have the impact gun as I already had the batteries and yes its not the best on the market but it will get you out of a hole if needed

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
When I was back in the window fitting game I would use Ryobi all the time. Its decent stuff for the price and it took a beating all day long. I have the impact gun as I already had the batteries and yes its not the best on the market but it will get you out of a hole if needed

Good enough for a quick wheel change on a trackday tho eh? And home diy stuff

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5

Easily good enough for that. Just make sure it has got a 4 or, even better, a 5ah battery and you're laughing. More than up to the job for DIY stuff.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup

Provided the wheel nut/bolts haven't been tightened by an ape it's perfectly fine for a wheel change. I think the only bolt I've had issues with so far has been the wheel hub bolt, but that was probably tighter than the required torque also. For the money I've been pretty happy with mine, makes working on the car a little easier then you can actually access the bolts with it.

I've also not had any issues with the smaller battery going dead, I found working on the car that it's not in constant use, at least for the jobs I've done so far with it.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Easily good enough for that. Just make sure it has got a 4 or, even better, a 5ah battery and you're laughing. More than up to the job for DIY stuff.

Sorted ta, yeah it's a 4ah 400nm Ryobi with battery, charger, case and the longer sockets for 166 posted. Got one ordered.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Provided the wheel nut/bolts haven't been tightened by an ape it's perfectly fine for a wheel change. I think the only bolt I've had issues with so far has been the wheel hub bolt, but that was probably tighter than the required torque also. For the money I've been pretty happy with mine, makes working on the car a little easier then you can actually access the bolts with it.

I've also not had any issues with the smaller battery going dead, I found working on the car that it's not in constant use, at least for the jobs I've done so far with it.

It's not about the battery going dead, it's about the power of it. In theory, it shouldn't make a different but compare a 2ah to a 5ah on it, like I did, and you can clearly see the difference in power.

It does make everything a little bit easier though. Everything takes seconds, rather than minutes.

I still keep Barry the breaker bar on hand for the mega tough stuff though.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Sorted ta, yeah it's a 4ah 400nm Ryobi with battery, charger, case and the longer sockets for 166 posted. Got one ordered.

I don't think you'll be disappointed for the price. Comes with a impact driver end as well. It's a bit heavy compared to a proper impact driver but I've recently been using mine for driving screws into loft boards and it worked a treat.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I like the fact the battery can be used so I can get other ryobi one bits for around the house, if I need anything.

Using my X brace thing to change wheels over was a ballache. Always ended up dropping it and scratching or chipping the wheels :(

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
It's not about the battery going dead, it's about the power of it. In theory, it shouldn't make a different but compare a 2ah to a 5ah on it, like I did, and you can clearly see the difference in power.

It does make everything a little bit easier though. Everything takes seconds, rather than minutes.

I still keep Barry the breaker bar on hand for the mega tough stuff though.

That's interesting to know.

I'll probably hold out buying a bigger battery until i expand my Ryobi tool collection, currently at 1No. haha

Like i said it's not been a major deal for me up to know, even just using a breaker bar to start it moving then wiping the bolt out with the gun saves loads of time.

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
I’ve got a few ryobi drills inc the 400nm impact gun. Works ok in the smaller batteries but kills them quick. I bought a cheap 6.0Ahr one off eBay and it’s been great. Was £26 for the battery. Think they’re £32 now.