ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

s4.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
full service every 20k is about 320 inc vat all in , brake discs on the front are pricey , and ours does more like 22mpg over 20k miles as i reset it when we have a service

Been checking it with an app on my phone and getting same reports as the on board jobby, after I changed the wheel and tyre sizes using vagcom to the correct sizes.... Also the cab is heavier and I would think less aero dynamic though any s4 is far from that lol....

Front discs are 80 quid for oem ones? And the rears are 92 quid.... Similar price if not cheaper than my rx7 lol

when i changed ours they were about 90 quid plus vat each disc !! and there were only oem ones around (unless i wanted to spend more ) they are 325mm (or 13") discs , oem pads on them are pagids (they are stamped pagid but come in an audi box ) think brakes on the front, end discs and pads cost me 300 quid

you are right the cab is heavier , and we have shittier traffic round here , i have eaked 26mpg before now but whats the point ;) if its a direct comparison our 172 cup doing the same journey in the same traffic is doing 32mpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
£90 a disc ain't bad imo! Bloody fancy Fiesta's were £200 each ffs!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Can get a set of mintex discs front and rear with pagid pads front and rear for 190 lol

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Better than the rs4 disks and pads.... 1200 for the fronts lol

S4 Avant

Gone for a B5 Avant in Quartz grey. Just got to get back to the bloke now about it.

supposedly once chipped they are better on fuel.

I've read somewhere that the stock map causes them to run too lean for emissions purposes, which is meant to cause excessive temperatures and something else about heat travelling up the valve stems and wearing the cam lobes. Hence the issues with cam wear. Not my theory, just something I read while researching.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
To be honest, the stock map is a self learn.... It has egt sensors and 4 lamdas supposedly it self learns as you drive.... I will chip it at some point not that it gives much if any power increase more for the throttle response it gets :) been looking at how hard it is to change the s4 4.2 for the c5 rs6 4.2 twin turbo... No one seems keen on attempting it lol!

Guy I know has just got a b5 s4, got to admit for tuning it's sooooo much easier on them, is yours standard?

S4 Avant
Think remapping the V8 is supposed to bring around an extra 20bhp as well.

Guys just accepted my offer on that S4, so I'm all set. Remap and 320bhp here I come.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
My brother has just sold his '07 plate 530 to get one of these (in Red). Looks lovely, sounds epic and shovels torque like a punch to the kidneys from Tyson.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I would love to see a pic of said mpg.32 out of a 4.2V8 when a focus st would struggle I'm not doubting you BTW i just find it a little hard to fathom.

Just the usual 50 miles at said speed returning X mpg will be fine.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I would love to see a pic of said mpg.32 out of a 4.2V8 when a focus st would struggle I'm not doubting you BTW i just find it a little hard to fathom.

Just the usual 50 miles at said speed returning X mpg will be fine.

Direct injection mate, its bloody brilliant for fuel consumption (when it works). VAG and BMW have perfected what the French struggled to do with the IDE's

S4 Avant
Guy I know has just got a b5 s4, got to admit for tuning it's sooooo much easier on them, is yours standard?

Once I pick it up it will be. I reckon a remap to 320 and I'll leave it. Spend my money on keeping it running I reckon.

I never realised a 4.2 V8 was sooooo affordable!! :D

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/...di-s4-4-2-v8-2003--excellent-condition/831737

*runs off to do some internet searching*

How have you not noticed this? They're dirt cheap for the amount of car you get!

Insurance on them is half the price than anything with a Subaru badge as well.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What's insurance?? I haven't insured a car for over 10 years! lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Back on topic...

Is there a cheaper way to make the V8's sound like thunder? I don't like the thought of spending £5k on a car and then over a fifth of that on decats and an exhaust.

Are there any secrets??

S4 Avant
The facebook police are already queing at my front door...

I've just read through that lot, absolutely epic! They'll come to your house and scare the wife s**tless, but won't pull over the tw*t causing a mile long tailback by sitting in the middle lane?!

Is there a cheaper way to make the V8's sound like thunder? I don't like the thought of spending £5k on a car and then over a fifth of that on decats and an exhaust.

I mentioned earlier in this thread, getting exhaust cut outs put in somewhere along the system. Open them up, make children cry, close them and have comfort back again.

Daniel , get the cats removed with a decat pip and the centre boxes bypassed .

and yes we have one , have had it for 4 years , and yes ours is remapped and running miltek and it does make a difference , as for could not outrun a saab ....LOL whats the saab had done .....

find it immensely practical , we had it loaded up with bikes and everything for camping @ lemans and had the roof down and 4 seats

View attachment 86137

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd rather suck off a goat than own a cab, but I appreciate the input Harv! ;)

Decats and bypass pipes I can cope with. £1500 miltek equipment I cannot. Especially when i'll only have it a short while.

RS6 C7
£4k to insure on for me :(

S3 i think for me next although would much prefer one of these if it wasn't for the silly insurance prices! They sound epic as standard so i can imagine with a decat + miltek it would be even better.

Daniel , a cab is handy when you can prove your manliness with your other vehicles ;) its far less floppy than an M3 cab thats for sure .

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It could be the definition car capabilities, it could be the best car EVER made, I still won't own a Cab. Audi or otherwise.

MX5 or a classic MG is the only soft top I have and will ever own. Little two seaters are fine.

Everything else just screams poser/tosser/flash git. IMO of course. No offence intended.

RS6 C7
It could be the definition car capabilities, it could be the best car EVER made, I still won't own a Cab. Audi or otherwise.

MX5 or a classic MG is the only soft top I have and will ever own. Little two seaters are fine.

Everything else just screams poser/tosser/flash git. IMO of course. No offence intended.

MX5 convertible is heavy bent. Audi s4 cab not so much.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
911??? NOOO!!!!! Seriously?!

911 without a roof is a Cardinal sin!!!!!!!

You choice of cars says that when i'm as rich as you, we'd be singing off the same Hymn sheet.

Now though, finding out your a poof/tosser/poser, i'm not so sure.....

LOL the 911 has a roof , and is over 30 years old ..... are we ok now ?

and rich ...... LOL in my dreams , when i buy a 288gto without selling my 599 gto like my mate has then i'll say yeah ok i am well off .

and the S4 is the wifes ;)

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
just seen this, daniel, get a s4, get some exhaust place to make you cat back with cross over pipe with small (noisy) backboxes, it will be loud ish, then do what i did cut 2 pieces of pipe the length of the backbox, slip the pipe in to the back box and wedge or bolt in to place effectively cutting off the backbox and making it straight through, there you have your thunder and it sounds SOOOO good! on idle its got a very quiet rumble, rev a little you get a v8 growl, rev past 3k you get the thunder crack noise!

dont do cat bypass unless you want to get it chipped too as it needs to be coded out in the ecu to stop the CEL light coming on and limp mode coming on (main cats that is) other easy ish way to get noise is stock exhaust, take the down pipes off, smash the cats out of the down pipes and refit (you need to use lamda sensor spacers to move the sensors out of the way of the main flow of exhaust to stop the cel light coming on (the s4 runs 4 lamda sensors, 2 egt sensors also) stock system with down pipe cats removed but with main cats still in place will also give thunder noise! will make a video of mine tomorrow and post it up so you can hear the noise.

oh and insurance is 400 quid a year for me... im 27 no driving convictions.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Just made a huge post and lost it lol...

anyway fitted hotchkis rear arb makes it much more solid and more oversteer when pushed than the natural under steer they have stock...

needed new mats, got these...

A3D9CAEB-BF1E-4DAF-974A-74EED825AD70-4332-00000446B2603868.jpg

also fitted rs4 pedal set, still waitin on the dead pedal

DF8752D7-0F8B-40BA-9BF2-48D1E00E86AC-4332-00000446AA1837F9.jpg
by far the most awkward thing I have ever attempted on a car lol!

Wanted a new gear knob... Got this

33B12BE7-EF42-41C0-AE96-E78EB61CE7F7-4332-000004469A5ED129.jpg

fitted this gaiter too
E42D2672-BC68-4B93-A61C-B9614EC77D06-4332-00000446A0690CBF.jpg

next plans are a 2010 rnse prob going to get the seat exeo versionas it's a strait fit! Along with the audi ami for the glovebox so I can have iPod or a HDD in there.

then wheels will be in the new year, I'm in love with the 3sdm wheels, either the 0.01 or the 0.05
86faa70b27f809b71a254ab066e6870a.jpg