ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sachs Refurb - Trophy

Trophy #387
Hi all,

I'm sure there's a million threads on this, but I hate the search function.

Ideally, I need my bits and bobs on my suspension to be repaired/refurbished, I don't have the grip that I used to round corners despite new tyres, etc, etc, and I have a bit of fluid leaking.

Where is the best place to get this done? BG Motorsport seems to be named around the place - is there anywhere more local to me (Surrey/Sussex?)

How much will I be paying? How does the process work? Do I turn up with my car, leave it there for a few hours and it's done, or is it more complicated?

Ty

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
remove suspension

send away for repair

refit suspension

Few hours?

more like a few days to a week......

S

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Cornering force in York I think are highly regarded and cheaper..
Might be worth throwing cup dampers on.. Nicer ride on the road and have the sachs refurbed and leave in the box for sale time..

Cornering force. Contact Simon : simon.roberts@corneringforce.com

The cost would be;

£85 for the strip, clean and rebuild with new seals, oil, regas and dyno test/match.
£20 to un-pin (if they haven’t been done already) – strongly recommended as it allows us to match them up on the dyno.
£7.50 for new Schrader valves (if required)
£55 to blast and passivate/powder coat (if required)
£15 for return courier

This is on the basis that parts are basically ok but just need cleaning – if there is extra work or parts required then we will let you know when we strip then dampers and can assess the condition.

Prices are per damper and are plus VAT.

Turnaround is normally c1 week for basic rebuild and an extra week for the blasting/coating.

Trophy #387
remove suspension

send away for repair

refit suspension

Few hours?

more like a few days to a week......

S

I don't really have any "know how" whatsoever, I wouldn't know where to start if someone told me to "remove suspension"...

York is a long way away from me, the prices seem reasonable, but the timescale is ridiculous given that I have to drive to work 5 days a week.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Quick turn around, but will pay more - BG motorsport

Slow turn around, But will cost less - Cornering force

As you need your car either put cup packed dampers on for the time being, or try to lift share to work if possible?

Unfortunately it is just part of trophy ownership having fancy dampers.

Megane r26
I used Simon at Cornering force, great guy and took the time to show me round the workshop and explain the process and services offered and also passed on some maintenance tips for the dampers.

I ran cup suspension whilst they were being refurbished and come winter the Sachs come off so they don't get attacked by the road salt as the bare alloy seems to crumble from what Simon showed me.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
There's a specific thread on the Clio Trophy forum regarding this. Take a wander over there and have a read, it's fairly comprehensive.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I think from what i can see BG are around £900 for a full refurb.

Im also lead to believe that simon buys all his parts (Seals / Valves / Gaskets) direct from BG as they are the only sole Sachs dealer in the UK.
I also believe that BG will now put new stickers on your suspension when its refurbished. (Have this in an e-mail direct from sachs/ZF)

I personally would go with simon due to the fact that he is powder coating the unit and preserving the life of it a little longer.

No one can supply the dust covers / bump stops and you can not buy any of them tho so take care of them

If it's only front shocks , I have a new set here in bought from Adam last week, I'm getting them put on this weeks or begining of next week, id be willing to send my current ones out free.. if u postage was paid .

koi

Audi S1
Got old front and rear shocks from my cup packed 182 if you need something for it to sit on whilst it's away. Can post it down if you cover postage.

Trophy #387

I think from what i can see BG are around £900 for a full refurb.

Im also lead to believe that simon buys all his parts (Seals / Valves / Gaskets) direct from BG as they are the only sole Sachs dealer in the UK.
I also believe that BG will now put new stickers on your suspension when its refurbished. (Have this in an e-mail direct from sachs/ZF)

I personally would go with simon due to the fact that he is powder coating the unit and preserving the life of it a little longer.

No one can supply the dust covers / bump stops and you can not buy any of them tho so take care of them

£900 is insanely different to the ~£200 mentioned by Paprika... I'm guessing it depends on the state of your suspension at the time, though?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What you want, which is a quick turnaround cheap service that has your car back on the road in a couple of days, simply doesnt exist.

Just buy some other dampers to use in the mean time.

Trophy #387
Wow, that's ridiculous expensive. Given that the car has just hit 90,000 miles I am debating if it is even worth it... It won't add £800 to the resale value surely?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wow, that's ridiculous expensive. Given that the car has just hit 90,000 miles I am debating if it is even worth it... It won't add £800 to the resale value surely?

It's about maintaining value not increasing it.

If your clutch was slipping and you got it changed that wouldn't increase the cars value from before the clutch slipped either.

Ex 182 owner
I would imagine any buyer would hammer you down on price if a trophy had either poor sachs history or been replaced by somthing else. Its a bit like these old cambelts/aux belts. These little clio can be bought very cheap .. but aint cheap to keep right. Especially trophys. Which is why I couldnt afford one this time round.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I have spoke to simon about a dozen times over the last 5 days and he has given me a full brake down of price and for me to have the following work carried out

Basic Rebuild - £85
Blast & Powder Coat - £55
Schrader Valve - £7.50
New Red Cap - £30.00 (Awaiting ETA)

Thats £177.50+vat each side which is around £208.00.

Dampers x 2 = £426 including VAT
Postage x 1 = £15.00

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Cheers mine have been done at 55k so won't need redoing for a good while then :).

They Might need done next week, They can go at any time.

You need to check them from time to time to make sure they are not leaking and that the car is still stiff on both sides.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Mines are ready for going to simon

SpareSachs04.jpg

SpareSachs02.jpg

SpareSachs03.jpg

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Are you having them powder coated as well Marc?

Yeah i am, These are my spare ones that i have had laying about. The ones on the car are in worse state than these but they are not leaking and they are still stiff.

As you can see from the picture below the ones on the car are rather corroded

TrophyProgress06.gif

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Oh and what makes are them springs? Are they eibach? Does the trophy sit any lower on them?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Oh and what makes are them springs? Are they eibach? Does the trophy sit any lower on them?

The springs are "Mark Fish" springs and they are decent, had them on the car for 3 years with no problems

I also have a full spare set of standard Trophy springs (Front Yellow Eibach & Cup Rears)

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Oh yes forgot about the epic Mark Fish springs, a quality way of getting rid of the laughable tractor height Trophy suspension.