ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sad day, about to list my Cup for sale...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
...but I'm unsure of the following...

My 172 Cup's speedo doesn't work as there's no drive from the gearbox, so I have a Road Angel showing MPH instead.

Is this legal?

Thanks

set cruise control before you enter the tunnel?

keep in flow with the traffic in the tunnel?

But i don't think its legal. just get it sorted?

Golf GTI PP Mk7
You'll definitely be best off getting it sorted, would you buy a car with a non working speedo? To me as a buyer that'd raise too many red flags.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
i thought gps speedos were a legal form of speedo? in fact, im not sure the law staates you need a speedo at all, just that you cant go over a certain speed, so if you dont have one you likely to go over the speed limit and brake the law that way instead...

Kawasaki ER6N
Iirc the car doesn't move on an mot enough for the speedo to be checked so it's not a mot requirement.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
However I believe it is illegal to drive a vehicle without a working speedo?

If thats correct, then thats an unenforcable law.

What are the police supposed to do, test drive everyones car's that they pull over?!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Keep a diary and a pencil in the door pocket.

Again, completely un-enforcable.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Who cares?!

Its an offence to go above 30mph but we all do it. Its an offence to cupcake your best mate (probably) but we've all done that.

As long as mark tells the next owner that the speedo doesn't work, nobody has lied and nobody will get into trouble.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Who cares?!

Its an offence to go above 30mph but we all do it. Its an offence to cupcake your best mate (probably) but we've all done that.

As long as mark tells the next owner that the speedo doesn't work, nobody has lied and nobody will get into trouble.

Thanks Daniel. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Sad times :( There is a 'track car' (or something similar) section on PH classifieds... could be worth a shot :approve:

Thanks Daniel. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

What on earth did you want to hear about cupcaking friends for ? One trick pony, that Daniel !

Black Gold Trophy
A friend of mine owns and runs an MOT centre and the speedo of any car he is testing is never checked as there is no part of the test that includes a road test.
Moving the car on and off the ramp is rarely done at any speed that would register on the speedo.

A speed doesnt need to register to test the brakes, the machine literally measures the braking effort of each wheel, not the time it takes to slow from say 30 to 0.

I'm sure the car will sell itself tbh Mark

I always wondered this until my last MOT, as my 172 shows a good 6-7mph out at 30mph (weirdly by the time you get to 70mph it's fairly accurate) compared to GPS and those 'this is your speed' signs they move around town.

Asked the tester...he doesn't even see it move doing a test anyway.

Anyhow, 'never been tracked' in the ad for a laugh ;) I'm sure I have some lovely photos of the car on 3 wheels / brakes on fire if you want them to help sell it...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
be sad to see it go always saw this car about on here since i joined and enjoyed your videos.

engines notoriously strong.. i used to say that at one point too when bigging up RS clios lol!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't understand the "no drive from the gearbox" part. That makes it sound like it doesn't drive at all.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Warranty on the Ktec exhaust isn't transferrable so you may want to change that.

Didn't realise that. Seeing as they'd have the original purchase invoice in their possession, what's to stop the buyer of my car phoning up and pretending to be me (apart from someone from K-Tec seeing my advert/knowing that I've sold it on)?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Any reason why you didn't wait on a 172 gearbox at the time Mark?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Waitey had this one instantly available and at the time, there weren't many/any 172 Cup 'boxes about. I think I had another trackday booked so couldn't be arsed waiting.