ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung ordered to pay Apple $1 billion!

Re: samsung to pay apple 1 billion!

The money makes absolutely zero difference to Apple. It's the principle that is the important thing from this.

Maybe Samsung will think up something of their own before they make their next cheap plastic phone.

306 GTI-6
The money makes absolutely zero difference to Apple. It's the principle that is the important thing from this.

Maybe Samsung will think up something of their own before they make their next cheap plastic phone.

Seeing as Samsung have already released new/revised products that don't infringe the patents, i cant see this being a problem.

I would say it was more about trying to garner a monopoly by apple rather than a principle.

I personally think it's more about protecting amazing designs from plagiarism. Everyone has the right to do this.

Exactly.

apple_samsung1.jpg

Microsoft and Blackberry have managed to make their own OS without copying. And Microsoft have even licensed patents from Apple, which is how things should be done. Instead of just making a cheap copy.

306 GTI-6
So what about Apple claiming the right to produce a rectangle with rounded corners is theirs, and that Samsung doing so was an infringement?

I would say thats a bit ridiculous.

I would also say its strange that it was a US court that upheld some of Apples points, whereas the same ones have been dismissed by other nations

Listerine & Poledo
I love that image of pre-post iPhone Samsungs, but it could go one step further to truly rubber-stamp how Apple changed the entire market overnight.

unbiased completely.jpg

306 GTI-6
Perhaps stop posting an image that wasnt allowed to be submitted in the case, and was a blatant effort to influence the jury by Apple.

Its all b****cks anyway, i couldnt give a s**t who copies who, i buy the phone i like.

Apple are just genuinely peeved about the amount of smartphone market share Samsung have, amd that Android massively outsells IOs phones

It's clear that iPhone did change the handset market. Their designs and software have always been ground breaking. Yes it's inevitable that others would follow, but it's Apple's right to enforce patent infringement. IMO anyone who fails to accept this, is incredibly naive.

Apple are just genuinely peeved about the amount of smartphone market share Samsung have, amd that Android massively outsells IOs phones

Not at all. Profit is what is important. Profit is where Apple absolutely destroys everyone else.

Apple have 9% of the global handset market. Which is tiny. But they have 75% of the profit in a 'bad' quarter.

Samsung have 16%.

306 GTI-6
Is that profit from phones?

I mentioned market share anyway.
Flol at trying to dismiss my comment by bringing out stats about a different thing.

In that case, Samsung win as they make more from tv sales than Apple.

Have never understood the love for Apple, people who buy everything they make, but probably didnt know who Steve Jobs even was until he sadly died.

The rest of you probably took a day off work in mourning, and wanked yourselves to sleep over images of the new, ever so slightly different ipod / iphone

Yes. That is smartphone profit.

It's not stats about a different thing at all. Sales numbers and profit are linked together. It doesn't matter if you sell 1 or 10,000,000,000 if you don't make any money. Samsung would rather have Apple's numbers. That's obvious to anyone.

'Flol' at the rest of the s**t you typed too. Always done by people when they haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

Is that profit from phones?

I mentioned market share anyway.
Flol at trying to dismiss my comment by bringing out stats about a different thing.

In that case, Samsung win as they make more from tv sales than Apple.

Have never understood the love for Apple, people who buy everything they make, but probably didnt know who Steve Jobs even was until he sadly died.

The rest of you probably took a day off work in mourning, and wanked yourselves to sleep over images of the new, ever so slightly different ipod / iphone

Or maybe some people just like great design? Why does life have to be so complicated?

If their designs were not brilliant, they wouldn't be copied. It's simple logic. Why be such a hard-on about it? I like Samsung stuff too. I have one of their TV's, and one of their monitors. Great products. It doesn't change the fact that iPhone changed the mobile handset market. You may not agree, but this legal case does agree.

DB.

BMW 440i
Yes. That is smartphone profit.

It's not stats about a different thing at all. Sales numbers and profit are linked together. It doesn't matter if you sell 1 or 10,000,000,000 if you don't make any money. Samsung would rather have Apple's numbers. That's obvious to anyone..

Here here.

Apple is THE leading company in the industry, and one of the leading companies in the world across all industries at the moment. You would have to be an idiot to think Samsung wouldn't want to be in their shoes!

Hopefully it will generate some real innovation in the mobile market rather than just copying Apple. WP7/8, Palm/WebOS and Nokia proved you can create great things without having to copy Apple's design language.

It's a sad day when Microsoft are more innovative than Google though.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Firstly, I'm not coming in here looking for arguments. What did Samsung actually "steal" from Apple? The shape? Software/ hardware? If so, then aren't HTC's pretty much the same shape as both? (I have never had an iPhone/HTC so not too sure)

And also, don't Samsung make parts for Apple? (Screen components?) I wonder if that will carry on?

There was a lot of different things. Apple didn't win on them all.

They won on..

Some of Samsung's handsets, including its Galaxy S 4G model, infringed Apple's design patents for the look of its iPhone including the system it uses to display text and icons

All the disputed Samsung devices had copied Apple's "bounce-back response", which makes lists jump back as if yanked by a rubber band

Several Samsung devices incorporated Apple's facility allowing users to zoom into text with a tap of a finger

And loads of others.

Samsung do make a lot of components for Apple but there's no way they'll cut Apple off. It's billions of dollars involved and their shareholders would never allow it.

It was around the hardware shape and design, software patents and software design. There's an article on The Verge that gives you a list of the questions. If you look at a HTC they are much more curved at top and bottom and usually not edge to edge glass. Compare that to an S1 or S2 (US and UK editions) and it's noticeable.

In terms of the parts that Samsung make for Apple it would be suicide for Samsung to break the contract (which would cost billions to exit I expect) and the loss of revenue from it would be insane. They might be pissed off but they aren't stupid.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I used to be anti apple and resisted getting an iPhone for a couple of years.

I finally caved in as the handset is a million times better and I now own an iPhone, IPad and mac.

Im a slave to the corporate giants.