ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sash’s new Learner car.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't the cost to run and insure this make it less feasible to use as a learner car? Or are you able to up the prices because of what it is?
I'd presume the majority of learners don't care or appreciate the car itself

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Doesn't the cost to run and insure this make it less feasible to use as a learner car? Or are you able to up the prices because of what it is?
I'd presume the majority of learners don't care or appreciate the car itself
Auto prices at the moment are more than manual due to lack of instructors. I’m currently £35/hr.
you’re right, the majority don’t have a clue about the car, they don’t really care either. The car is mainly for my benefit and the yellow has kinda become associated with me and it’s quite distinctive. So much so, another instructors pupil spotted menin town and noticed I had a brake light out. He told his instructor it was a yellow Clio with a spoiler and his instructor knew who he was talking about and got in touch to tell me!
It’s not cheap to insure but hopefully that’ll drop considerably once I can sell the DS3 and free up all those no claims!!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Auto prices at the moment are more than manual due to lack of instructors. I’m currently £35/hr.
you’re right, the majority don’t have a clue about the car, they don’t really care either. The car is mainly for my benefit and the yellow has kinda become associated with me and it’s quite distinctive. So much so, another instructors pupil spotted menin town and noticed I had a brake light out. He told his instructor it was a yellow Clio with a spoiler and his instructor knew who he was talking about and got in touch to tell me!
It’s not cheap to insure but hopefully that’ll drop considerably once I can sell the DS3 and free up all those no claims!!

You must be minted Sash!!??
Must say if I never drove another manual it wouldn't bother me.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Fair play! We use 1.2 16v Dynamiques, about to move over to 0.9 TCE's since the 1.2 has now been discontinued.

be interesting to see how the clutch packs gets on as the miles gets up, we change the cars at about 140k/3yrs usually just as they are starting to need a clutch
The LY is just shy of 128k now and doing absolutely fine with regards clutch wear. Had the clutch touch points measured a while back and they’re still very much within the correct tolerances 👍🏼
Can’t believe I’ll have owned the car 4 years in April 😳 current mileage is a little less than anticipated thanks to some enforced downtime due to Covid-19 lockdowns 😪.
Besides a battery fault that left us barking up the wrong tree for ages it’s been good as gold for me, still many smiles per mile, many double takes from passers by, many a punch thrown (yellow car game) and still the same question gets asked… “is that a real learner car?” 🤣 and there is no plans to change anytime soon. 🤩

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
What was it giving you? Check hill start assist, Engine failure hazard, Check stop start, Check auto Gearbox, and anything else it decides to throw?!
Check gearbox only. Diagnostics kept telling us it was clutch motor 1 failure.
Turned out to be a dodgy connection and therefore the battery wasn’t charging properly.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Check gearbox only. Diagnostics kept telling us it was clutch motor 1 failure.
Turned out to be a dodgy connection and therefore the battery wasn’t charging properly.
Yeah they are pretty bad for it, first thing I do on any Clio 4 now is a battery test before any diagnostic 👍

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Yeah they are pretty bad for it, first thing I do on any Clio 4 now is a battery test before any diagnostic 👍
I wrongly assumed it wasn’t battery related as I had replaced the battery less than a year before.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The LY is just shy of 128k now and doing absolutely fine with regards clutch wear. Had the clutch touch points measured a while back and they’re still very much within the correct tolerances 👍🏼
Can’t believe I’ll have owned the car 4 years in April 😳 current mileage is a little less than anticipated thanks to some enforced downtime due to Covid-19 lockdowns 😪.
Besides a battery fault that left us barking up the wrong tree for ages it’s been good as gold for me, still many smiles per mile, many double takes from passers by, many a punch thrown (yellow car game) and still the same question gets asked… “is that a real learner car?” 🤣 and there is no plans to change anytime soon. 🤩
Good to hear!

The amount of 'it will fail because it's French' stuff you read online is kind of negated by posts like this.

Of course, all makes and models of cars have bad traits and the Clio isn't exempt from that. But for the majority of the time, they certainly don't deserve the social media digs that they receive.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
The Mk4 RS didn't get off to a good start being panned by most if not all the motoring press.

The 4th generation was a big leap of change, the gearbox being the biggest. The British as a tradition don't like change, add in the 4 door only shell coming from a previous 3 door manual it was a big ask to convince the die hard RS petrolheads.

It's a brilliant car for it's time, to think now they're already 8 years old as a model but back in 2013 when you sat in one and saw the tech it was worlds away from the MK3.

2016 when the 220 came out as the facelift that really was the Clio the 200 should have been. Thank god! Akrapovic exhaust with carbon tips, heated leather seats, Bose as options, LED headlights as standard.

They are the last generation of true Renaultsport cars alongside the Mk4 Mégane. Yes a shame the badge no longer exists but only as an RS Line trim level spec, but given time behind the wheel of one and you need to give that box time to get used to they are a great car to be in.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
CA38EB1E-975C-451C-89CC-12B73313093E.png

presume this is you getting papped Sash?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Still looks awesome. Those wheels alone have probably gained so much custom.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Still looks awesome. Those wheels alone have probably gained so much custom.
Still makes me giggle when little kids see the car and shout at their parents ‘look at that car.. it’s amazing!!’ 😂

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
As said wheels and spoiler look mint!!
What would you replace it with?
I have no plans to replace it any time soon but when that time comes it’ll 100% be another one.

Those that slated the mk4’s when they came out should give their head a wobble 😂 it’s bloody brilliant car.

Clio 197,with megan'
I learnt to drive in an Austin A35, heavy clutch, bad brakes, you boys and girls have been spoilt. I remember when I was a boy............,...

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I am 83 years old in July, I was 17 years old when I bought the A 35, followed bt A55, Nash Neapolitan A40, Essex Capri, and many, many others, last motorbike was a Yamaha R1, enjoyed at the same time, solo parachuting, now running around in an Fully forged R26 360bhp, 340 torque. I will grow up someday soon.

Thats amazing! Fair play to you, Sir!

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I am 83 years old in July, I was 17 years old when I bought the A 35, followed bt A55, Nash Neapolitan A40, Essex Capri, and many, many others, last motorbike was a Yamaha R1, enjoyed at the same time, solo parachuting, now running around in an Fully forged R26 360bhp, 340 torque. I will grow up someday soon.
No! Never grow up! 😁❤️

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Still makes me giggle when little kids see the car and shout at their parents ‘look at that car.. it’s amazing!!’ 😂

Prime example today. Following another LY (Megane) put of the carpark yet the young lad points mine out and gets his parents to look too!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

You sir are a legend!! 🤣😎