ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sat Nav for less than 150quid?

Yeah I'd go for Garmin. I've gotta buy a new one soon. Garmin or TomTom over Navman, I've not heard great things about them.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
I saw the Navman S100 before it was released and wanted it straight away. Told myself I was gonna buy it as soon as it was in the shops but never got round to it.

But.. I'm buying it on pay day. Look on the website at the interface it's soooo much nicer than other sat navs!

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
If you are buying a sat nav. (from halfords, probably cheapest place on highstreet)

Basically Tomtom/garmin develop all the soft ware on the unit and once they have used them for a couple of years they sell them of to the "undercutting" companies, so garmin/tomtom always are the best software wise, they have the best features the best displays and most detailed maps and can be updated alot easier. Customer support is better aswell.

You should go for a Tomtom or a garmin. Basically because halfords staff(some) actually get some sort of training on these, also the model range is always in stock so any problems it can be replaced.

IIRC, with the garmins they have like a 2 year garuntee (excluding screen) if you have a problem in the first year you need to take it to halfords, a problem in second you need to deal with Garmin.

Tomtom can be delt with directly through Halfords.

Used to work at halfords and thats what i remember (left 6 months ago) my brother still works there and he will be along to correct me or add to it :p

A3 Tdi
I bought this about 4months ago and its great for the price and as long as you dont need more than the great britain maps. Really small and easy to use, really recomend it.

*oops sorry, just realised you need NI and irish maps!*

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
one of the tom toms. im not sure what the difference is though

1.5 Clio Dynamique
i got my navman from tescos for 69.99 and its quiet but its got me out of many difficult situations

182FF with cup packs
I've got a TomTom 520 (i think it's a 520). Thats about £150.

No problems with signel, can sometime take a couple of minutes to get a fix, but if you update it regularly it downloads quick fix updates that allow it to get a fix in 20 or 30 sec.

Bluetooth to your phone works pretty well, it'll read any text messages you recieve if you set it up to and works as a hands free.

If you have a compatible phone, you can even use GRPS or similar to download traffic updates and suchlike on the move.

It plays MP3's, has a SD card slot.

Software is a cinch, it even carries a copy of the software on itself, so as long as you have a usb cable, you can plug it into any windows PC and it will ask you to install the software if it isn't already on the PC, then you can download new maps or update your speed cameras from any PC.

As an added bonus, it seems to have a habit of taking you the back roads for medium length journeys, which is always fun :D

I've only ever had it try and take me somewhere I couldn't go the one time. It once told me to turn right off of a bridge in Cardiff.

I've heard Garmin have better signal/strength over here than the TomTom's do
If you have a garmin & heat reflective screen you'll probably need to get an antenna for it as they are awful through the screen. Tomtom's work through it though.

My job at Halfords is to sell these things so maybe i can help a wee bit.

Personally i would stick to garmin. Dont touch navmans or the navigons, they give you loads of features for your money but they are extremely cheap, even the plastics they use are cheap.

with the tomtoms you get sligthtly more features for your £, but thats only little stuff you might find yourself not using anyway, like the help me function.

garmins dont look as flashy or operate in such a friendly way, but they are still uber easy to use and they are damn near bulletproof.

we get s**t loads of tomtoms back that have gone wonky, menus locking, refusing to start, uk-only satnavs insisting you are in germant, that sort of nonsense.

the big + point with garmins is they just dont seem to go wrong, and if they do, garmin's return policy is soo much better than tomtom's. with tomtom we HAVE to send off the unit if it goes wrong in your warranty period. Even if it has a nail through it, tomtom want to see it for themselves to make sure. 9 times out of 10, on the rare occasion a garmin comes back to us as faulty, we will ring them and they will give us the authorisation to give you a new unit there and then.

one little thing to note is that tomtom are being sneaky as f**k about upgrading maps now. in the past they all came with an sd card slot so you just popped some more memory in there fi you found out you needed europe, and downloaded the new maps. now they have taken all that away on all but the very expensive models, so you cant put more memory in. Basically, if you buy a uk satnav, then find in a few months that you need europe on there, tomtom want you to bin youe £130 sat nav and go buy another £160 europe one. Not very fair really.

Best thing to do would be to nip down to halfords, and ask to have a look at both. have a play with them and see if the ease of use of the tomtom outweighs its reliability issues. You may find you like the way the garmin operates much more.

one final note - mapping wise they both use the same software - navteq - so there is nothign between them on that front.

hope this has helped

1 years warranty on any nav. Return to any store and we will sort it out.

we HAVE to see your receipt though so dont lose it!

As mentioned i think the garmins have another year warranty after ours has expired, but you have to deal with garmin direct yourself in that period, we wont do it for you.

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
My job at Halfords is to sell these things so maybe i can help a wee bit.

Personally i would stick to garmin. Dont touch navmans or the navigons, they give you loads of features for your money but they are extremely cheap, even the plastics they use are cheap.

with the tomtoms you get sligthtly more features for your £, but thats only little stuff you might find yourself not using anyway, like the help me function.

garmins dont look as flashy or operate in such a friendly way, but they are still uber easy to use and they are damn near bulletproof.

we get s**t loads of tomtoms back that have gone wonky, menus locking, refusing to start, uk-only satnavs insisting you are in germant, that sort of nonsense.

the big + point with garmins is they just dont seem to go wrong, and if they do, garmin's return policy is soo much better than tomtom's. with tomtom we HAVE to send off the unit if it goes wrong in your warranty period. Even if it has a nail through it, tomtom want to see it for themselves to make sure. 9 times out of 10, on the rare occasion a garmin comes back to us as faulty, we will ring them and they will give us the authorisation to give you a new unit there and then.

one little thing to note is that tomtom are being sneaky as f**k about upgrading maps now. in the past they all came with an sd card slot so you just popped some more memory in there fi you found out you needed europe, and downloaded the new maps. now they have taken all that away on all but the very expensive models, so you cant put more memory in. Basically, if you buy a uk satnav, then find in a few months that you need europe on there, tomtom want you to bin youe £130 sat nav and go buy another £160 europe one. Not very fair really.

Best thing to do would be to nip down to halfords, and ask to have a look at both. have a play with them and see if the ease of use of the tomtom outweighs its reliability issues. You may find you like the way the garmin operates much more.

one final note - mapping wise they both use the same software - navteq - so there is nothign between them on that front.

hope this has helped

Great help. Thanks a lot. Think I'm gona have to go check a few out instore and then come home and order it online because instore prices are more than the online ones. From what you have said I think i might go for the Garmin in that 2nd link

yeh the 205 T is a nice unit.

Just decide if you want the wide screen or the traffic - the work out about the same price.

Widescreen is handy for seeing a wee bit more of the junction or just for putting addresses and postcodes in it without hitting 4 keys at once due to a small screen.

Having said that the traffic is damn handy

Defo do a reserve and collect - usually works out cheaper.

yeh thats right, its the same satnav we're getting you out the back your just paying less for it. Madness but someone must think its a good idea.

the cheapest garmin with both traffic and the widescreen that you can get in store is the 265wt which is full of whistles and bells. does europe, bluetooth, traffic, its got the widescreen. It damn near makes your breakfast for you.

Think its currently on at 179 however.

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
Ohhhh sounds good. Found it online there. Really considering stretching my budget now. Decisions, decisions...

Once again thanks a lot for all your help^^^:)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_503305_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

Most likely going for that^^^

Would I need/you recommend getting any of the extras? USB cable I'm guessing?

255 is a nice bit of kit, only get it if you know you will need europe though, you can get a 205 which will be identical it just wont have europe maps for a fair bit cheaper. Garmins are also easy to upgrade, so you could pop europe maps on a 205 anytime you like for £40 or so.

id get a case, dont both with the home charger, and you'll probably find you have loads of usb cables knocking about that fit, its the really common mini usb connection as used with digi cams, mp3 plays that sort of thing.

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
Ahh i was looking for the non Europe one but couldnt seem to find it. Thats the one for me I think. Only 109.99 too. Even better:D

You've been an excellent help so I think I might leave you in peace now lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
No regrets as yet, will get more use of it for planning routes & driving over on the mainland later in the year hopefuly :)