ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

scared to do my springs

Yozza'd Titanium 182
i want to lower the car 50-60mm but after my last experiance im abit worried about doing it.

When i did it last time i popped the driveshaft out and gearbox oil leaked everywere...

Has this ever happend to anyone before? I have done the rear end my self befor and thats a piece of piss, but is it worth paying a garage to do the front?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i did the exact same thinkg lol,
well to be precise my m8 popped my drive shaft out,
we kind of want at the job with no idea what we was doing,
by tbh, you dont really need that much oil in ur gearbox, we leeked 3l out of 3.5, and it didnt crunch though any gears, needless to say i took it easy and had it filled up again the next day lol, ur not alone :p
if u dnt wna do it urself, im sure theres someone on this forum that will give you a hand for a small free,

id rather that than pay the con merchants at most garages.

RenaultSport 172
I am halfway through fitting springs at the moment. Did the rears last night, no problem. Doing the fronts today. I better not have any driveshaft problems lol

Da

Less
Justy learn to support the hub with bricks/jack etc whilst you manouver it. If you're aware of the risks take precautions to prevent it :)

Failing that, pay someone local ;)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
it does say in the haynes manual

BE CAREFUL OF THE DRIVESHAFT WHEN REMOVEING THE STRUT

and god knows how many times i said it to my m8 before he pulled it out :mad:

its easy to do so jst be very carful n try to support it n ull be fine

i didn't even think about the driveshafts when changing my springs...changed many before and it didn't even cross my mind!!! oops!!
you'll be fine mate, just take your time on it and you'll sail through fitting them.

BMW M135i
I'd love to know how people manage to pull the driveshaft out tbh, you'd have to be very rough with it to get it out imo.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
well to be fair, mine didnt come all the way out,

it came out slightly, and the rubber thing popped off, so it dumped all the gearbox oil

we just popped it back over and put a new clip on it,

RenaultSport 172
Well I wouldn't worry too much about it. My hub fell all over the place but didnt have any problems.
Sportlines are all fit now, I've just gotta give it a good run and see the difference :)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I'm in Derby if you want someone to fit them mate.
Won't charge a lot for the fronts, PM me.

Titanium 182
I did the exact same thing.

tryint to get the bolt holes to line up can be a bugger and using force to get them to line up is when mine popped out :(

I was going to fit a suspension kit next week but not so sure I want to do it now! Anyone near Henley/Reading want to do it for me? I'll pay of course!

And James..post some pics when youve got it all fitted!

Yozza'd Titanium 182
thanks for the advice i am definatly going to do the back myself, im still unsure on the front tho, if i take it the garage then its there responsiblity.
how much do you think they will charge me?

its just not worth the risk when you don't know what your doing!

Yozza'd Titanium 182
string?? thats not gonna hold it, to be honest

1. i cba doing it myself
2. i dont wanna risk it
3. i dont think id do a proper job

it was the worst feeling ever when i popped it out last time (no not my penis)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
No PM for me then?!
£30 and I'll do the fronts for you mate.

Will be about £10 in fuel here and back so £40 all in isnt bad at all.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
i need to actually get hold of my springs first, 60mm will be ok wont they, i dont have the money for coilovers

mk4 golf gttdi180
i woill fit springs on the front and back for £40.00 i did amitash's for him and he came from london saved him 100£££££££

Yozza'd Titanium 182
I don't mean to be a whiner, lol, just wanna do the right thing, im going to get some springs, do the back, then look at my options. so if anyone knows were i can get some 60mm for a 1.6 any websites, etc id really appritiate it

so what if the gearbox oil leaks out,just make sure you have a big container to catch then you can just pour it in,the driveshaft will only go in one way so you dont need to worry,change the oil while your there?it is supposed to be changed after 5 years according to the haynes manual

clio 1.2 16v dynamique
k-tec racing do 60mm springs apex not sure if they are any good
and just do the fronts yourself its not that hard i done mine with no knowledge of how todo them just bought the tools and done it.

no harm in trying!! also it saves money for all that beer us binge drinking britain consume!! :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I can just imagine tbh....... PMSL!!!! The dude needs a good shake imo ;)