ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scooby To 182

My first post on the site! The deal is this. Ive had my 1999 Impreza Turbo for 19 months now and I have enjoyed every minute of it! However recently Ive had the urge to swap it for a new 182 mainly because of the increasingly ridiculous insurance quotes (im 24), poor mpg and 6 month servicing costs. Also the 182 looks mint, not expecting it to be quite as fast but probably a more enjoyable drive all round. Ive done a bit to it including 17s, full decat, DV, boost gauge. Eibach springs etc and it should be good for 235bhp. If im gonna do the deal im gonna go to motorpoint as they do the 182 for £11699. Im aware they will only give me something like £7-7.5K but it saves hassle. My problem is this - would you:-

1)tell motorpoint that the car is fully decatted and therefore would not pass the MOT and risk them giving me less for the scoob

2)not tell them anything and hope they dont notice or care

3)go to the expense and trouble of re installing the downpipe cat and then do the deal

Anyone any experience of Motorpoint p/x or similar? Any suggestions?

Cheers Mike.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

2 ! they probably wouldnt even notice !

With the 182 you should get lower insurance, MPG 30+ at least during normal driving, and 12,000 mile/2 year service intervals.

Downsides, they dont hold their value as well as other cars so make sure your gonna keep the car for atleast a couple years to get best value.

I am tempted to go for option 2 as its the least hassle! I know what you mean KDF but even people you get in car supermarkets would know it aint standard from the near 100db exhaust note! Just dont want to do a deal then some muppet ring me moaning bout the cats etc. Was thinking of putting the standard cat in the boot and just say there you are if you want it on get your guys to do it!Not bothered about depreciation as I plan to keep it a while.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

A few people on here have had issues when theyve ordered a car through Motorpoint. The general concensus seems to be that if they have the car in stock on site then you should be ok, but they have a way of fobbing off people who have placed orders with them. Just something to be aware of. Its happened to a few people.

You really should be looking at the price to change, not how much Motorpoint will give you for the car. A main dealer might charge you more for a car, butgive you a better PX.

Another point to consider is that a Motorpoint car will not have the Cup bits, which are essential for resale, plus make it a better car.

Ive had quite a few Scoobies, whilst you will miss the grunt, the car can be just as much fun as long as you dont spend your life on a Motorway.

Jonathan

Purchased my 172 from Motorpoint Derby in Jan this year - No problems at all, apart from the part ex price and the feeling that your queing in a doctors surgery come pick up day... But you cant argue with their prices.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

Hi I changed from skoob to williams this year,and am well happy with my choice!mpg is soooo muchg better and i havent missed the extra power-finding the clio anit that much slower on the road cus of its nimbleness!Id put the cat and pipe in the boot and say nourght-if they then ask wot the bits are ,say they are the standard stuff,they cant moan bout that.I can imagine how loud it is though,does bring back a few memories of mine burbleing along........

Cheers for the replies fellas. Gonna investigate both dealer and motorpoint options tho cant see dealer making up the £2.5K price difference on the p/x!

What is the Motorpoint price ? and does that include the alarm ? By the time you have bought the car with a 3 year warranty whats the price ?

Bear in mind you can buy a std 182 from a dealer for less than 13k, so my guess is your probably looking at a 1k difference to make up.

Jonathan

VaVa

Motorpoint car will be an import which means it will need a CAT1 alarm. Motorpoint will try and sell you one for £300 notes. Provided the car was manufactured for sale within the EU (ie not Cyprus) you are entitled to a full three year Renault warranty, the same as UK cars. You will not get the AA assistance, although in all fairness you could probably get that yourself for a couple of hundred pounds.....

The main thing, for me personally, is that you cant specify any options, Cup or otherwise. Also, although you may be saving a couple of grand by buying an import you will not get as much for it when you sell it, compared to a UK car. So in the long run you may not be saving as much as you think....

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 11 July 2004 at 3:48pm]

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Have a sniff at Virgin Cars, Im sure that they had something in the paper for 182s at about 11,700...or thereabouts

http://www.virgincars.com/newcars2.asp?CID=6991link

Although that would be without the cup options...but at least youll save yourself a few quid, dependant on the PX value of the Scoob...Good luck

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 11 July 2004

Motorpoint car will be an import which means it will need a CAT1 alarm. Motorpoint will try and sell you one for £300 notes. Provided the car was manufactured for sale within the EU (ie not Cyprus) you are entitled to a full three year Renault warranty, the same as UK cars. You will not get the AA assistance, although in all fairness you could probably get that yourself for a couple of hundred pounds.....

The main thing, for me personally, is that you cant specify any options, Cup or otherwise. Also, although you may be saving a couple of grand by buying an import you will not get as much for it when you sell it, compared to a UK car. So in the long run you may not be saving as much as you think....

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 11 July 2004 at 3:48pm]
AFAIK Cyprus are now part of the EU so you shouldnt have any problems with the warranty these days, the only thing that would stop me are the cup options which i feel are essential not only for resale but for the full enjoyment of the car!

I would be inclined to leave the cat wrapped in a bag in the boot though I am guessing that (like most people) they arent going to be overly surprised at a vocal Scoob.

As said the price of change is the only figure that matters so I would hunt around for the best deal for you. I changed from an RB5 Scoob to a Cup back in March and havent looked back. The running costs could not be more different and for the most part the Cup really is not appreciably slower (excluding traction in the wet..). As with many others on here I am sure you will get on just fine with the switch to a Clio - they really do make a lot of sense for the money.

Cheer sfor that BossCup. Its good to get the views of someone who has done the same thing.BossCup - what was the deal when you sold the RB5? P/X? Private? Dealer? Car Supermarket? What mods had you done?

Do you ever see another scoob now you have the 172 and regret it?

Mike

GTiR 394bhp

Put your aftermarket bits up for sale on an exchange basis on Scoobynet.That way you get a bit back towards the cost of the new car.

skiddusmarkus - that does make sense but its waitin around to p/x all the bits plus all the hassle and cost of replacing the cat in the downpipe etc. Cost me £100 labour to get the damn thing on! Dont fancy spending another £100 to put it back on for the sake of the p/x.

Quote: Originally posted by MikeGG on 11 July 2004

Cheer sfor that BossCup. Its good to get the views of someone who has done the same thing.BossCup - what was the deal when you sold the RB5? P/X? Private? Dealer? Car Supermarket? What mods had you done?

Do you ever see another scoob now you have the 172 and regret it?

Mike

I p/xed the RB at the local Renault dealer after Subaru had offered me £8k for it (99 T plate and a non WR model). The annoying thing is that if I could have managed to sell it private I would then have been able to pick up one of the many bargain new Cups that I have read so much about and had a new car for the same (or most likely less) than I paid for my year old example.

Believe it or not my Scoob was standard apart from some 130 watt driving light bulbs - mainly as I never had the money to really do anything to it. Id regret parting with it were it not for the fact that I was not getting to really stretch its legs as often as it deserved (I mainly used it for the work run and occasional weekend outing). I actually miss my old 106 GTi that I had before it loads more but then I had owned that for around 5 years and spent loads making it (go) the way I wanted it. I never got emotionally attached to the Impreza in quite the same way. I do still have huge respect for what the cars (pre bug eyed at least) represent though. Annoyingly I have a new unused cover for the car that the g/f bought before I decided to get shot.

Sounds like a pretty similar story to mine! I sometimes miss the nimbleness and pure driveability of my old Saxo VTR. Perhaps i just prefer small cars!

I hope to get to a Renault dealer tomorrow. Do you reckon I should just tell them bout the mods or leave it to them? Will come back with the results tomorrow!