ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

scratch and stonechip removal (with pics)

clio 172
ill be honest pics dont realy give the true quality of this repair, but basically its s method i use to remove swirls, chips, deep scratches thorugh to basecoat and light 'matted' scratces where the paint has not fully cut through to basecoat but become matt and scored.

ok.. the scrtches.. this cae its the bootlid, 2 deep scraches through to basecoat, and 2 paint 'matte' scratches
IMAG0301.jpg

polish the area first, witha cutting polish, i.e autoG super res, then wipe panel wipe, or alcohol wipe over the area to remove any films/grease

the paint.... and lint free cloth, soak the cloth so its driping wet....
IMAG0304.jpg

wipe the paint over the scratch.... leave plenty of excess paint but not too much ( deeper scratches allow to dry and re-apply paitn till the depth has been filled)
IMAG0305.jpg

polish the dried paint, in this case the scratches were horizontal so the polishing and cutting has to be done vertical! again with a soft cutting compound

IMAG0307.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

re-do the process as many times as you want, til the paintwork is belmish ree... seal with a wax or a anatural polish! zymol works great in this case!

clio 172
these are other parts of my car which i have done, and to be fair some scratches were deeper than the example iv done for you!

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

on this last picture ( bare metal key'd scratch) put masking tape around scratch, build paint up 10-15 times till depth is made, remove tape, cut/polish till smooth, and re-start the process without tape liek fistly descibed, it will not remove it completly... you will eb able to spot it, only cos you know where it is, but no one else wil!!!! :) real deep scratches liek this can be 99 % hiden but takes many stages to build the depth of paint back up

IMAG0218.jpg

Last edited:
  clio 172
also forgot to mention, if you use the same cloth for polishing the paint off the cloth will turn to the colour of the paint. i.e my cloths end up very red, this is good as as your constantly polishing the colour back in

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
looks good to me :approve: will give this a go on the other half's golf (currently got blobs of grey primer over stone chips)

clio 172
id probs remove the rpimer first, iv never done it over primer as guessing as you polish thru youll end up with gre primer specles/marks lol

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I've been meaning to do something like this for ages!

Clio 172 Cup
The pic of the lip of the bonnet (pic 2 in post#2)

Is that finished result, or just a building up stage?

clio 172
just build up stage that pic fella... thats on stonechips just blobs dotted over them a few times to thicken i up ready for polishing

clio 172
2 pics below this was finished item... but taken from oppsosite side of car to catch the sunlight to show how much its blended in, on my next car i wil do a full amount of pics taken froms tart to finish

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
2 pics below this was finished item... but taken from oppsosite side of car to catch the sunlight to show how much its blended in, on my next car i wil do a full amount of pics taken froms tart to finish

Can we have pics of said tart first? ;)

1.2 16v dynamique
A few questions mate...

Do you use a machine polisher to cut the paint off.. or do you do it by hand?

Secondly, how long do you let the paint dry for before polishing?

Thanks!