ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Searching for buying guide and owner experience of the 172 and 182 FF

Fiesta ZS & Passat
Hello guys,

I am new to the forum and hope you could help me. At the moment I am driving a Fiesta ZS but I am looking to get something with a bit more power. That's why I think about buying a Clio Sport. Through zsoc I found accidentally this site. My problem is here in Germany the Sport is not common car so it was a bit difficult to find informations and experience reports about it from owners.
I am looking for something like a buying guide and reports about the weak points of the car. I am just interested in Phase 2 models as 172 or 182. Sadly the cup versions were never sold over here or to be exact only as Ragnotti Edition which seems to be a mix of the FF and the Cup with no rear screen wiper. So my interest concentrates on the full fat version. Thanks in advance for your replies and your help.

Fiesta ZS & Passat
Yeah I already informed myself about the differences. I am mainly looking for a 172 FF cause they are atm sold at good prices over here and the 182s are rare on the used car market. As said above the cup and trophy were never sold in Germany. The only chance to get something cup like is to buy the Ragnotti edition which seems to be a cup with climate control and the other electronic toys from the full fat, the turini wheels, blue instead of silver dashboard inlets and without a rear screen wiper. But these cars are really rare. I heard of just one in the whole country.

I want to know what is wrong with the car. The fiesta for example has rust problems and on earlier models problems with cylinder head gasket. In a german forum I was told that the clios have often problems with the electric windows or electric problems in general. But how serious can I take this comments when only people with 1.2 or 1.4 answer my questions. I hope u understand what mean. It would be great to have something like list of things to which I should pay attention when checking out a car at a dealer.

Mk4 .:R32
A lad I know reckons his zetec s with no mods other than decat and IK beat a clio sport. How fast are they, what bhp and 0-60?

1 Series Coupe
A lad I know reckons his zetec s with no mods other than decat and IK beat a clio sport. How fast are they, what bhp and 0-60?

iirc they are 110bhp as standard... my mate has got one, great fun, and quite quick! i doubt he is telling the truth, he just rekons he can play with the big boys ;)

Mk4 .:R32
They are quite nice actually. ST is obviously better, but even the fiesta ST is slower then a 172 standard.

With only 103 bhp on tap, the Zetec S will never compete with, say, the Renault Sport Clio, Peugeot 206 GTi or Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport. But viewed as a mid-range alternative, it compares well with the Clio RSi or 206 XSi. Out-and-out power's not really the point of this car, though what there is can be used to the full for maximum effect.

the zetec s ????

Fiesta ZS & Passat
If you look here that are germany's to biggest internet car trading sites.

http://www.autoscout24.de/List.aspx...=U&um=True&sort=price&rfde=True&pool=9&zipc=D

http://mobile.de/SIDiahFvl.J72sZTK-..._advertiserType=-2&doSearch.x=40&doSearch.y=8

As you could see there are not much CS for sale. The ZS is nice little car with great handling but a bit more bhp would be great. The ST is in my opinion a bit slow for its output. Even a 6 speed Lupo GTI should be as fast as the ST.

@pettsi
Your mate is right. In whole Germany are just 900 ZS registered so the car is always underestimated. It is nice to play with low powered TDI's or other 1.6 engined cars on the autobahn or in the motorway junction :)

@kully
The Fords, like the zs, st and st170, have all a bit less power so they can't compete with the competition in a straight line. It is sad but for the germans exists only one hot hatch and that's the golf gti :/

Last edited:
Hey CK I Can Answer Your Question . I have upgraded from a Fiesta Zetec S to a CLIO 182 last month . The Zetec has really great handling for its price , and is pretty easy to fix / and parts over here for it was dirt cheap .

However the Clio 1*2 is a completly different class . The ammount of grip it generates and speeds you can take through the bends are just insane.We also didn't receive cup / trophy versions in my country , although strangely you could spec get cup rims / tires on the 82's.It is much much much faster in a straight line than the fiesta zetec s , if that's your thing . The fiesta can match it in the tight stuff up to about 8/10ths where superior grip , acceleration,brakes and suspension of the 1*2 makes it's difference felt.

I have to admit it, it took me much less time to get used to the fiesta with organic steering , brakes and seating position.The clio has millions of settings on the seats and steering wheel , but it just never feels quite 'right'.

Although I have only had it for a month or so now , here are some things that I have noticed

1)Doors Rattle --> This can be easily fixed by using silcone glue on the yellow plastic nipple connectors so that they stop rattling around.You can fix some light rubber mats on the insides of the doors to make them sound more like a quality item.

2)Lots Of Toys --> Not really my thing , but yes it does have more toys than my zetec-s

3)Requires a re-examination of your driving style ; Remember you are dealing with a car that was sold to petrolheads and people using them as trackday tools ; A mistake in the fiesta would mean I would jsut push a bit wide , however a mistake in the Clio would mean meeting up with the scenery.I'm not saying it's tail happy , or it unpredictable , I'm just saying you are dealing with something that is miles faster than your Zetec S and any mistake , will be a mistake at fairly highish speeds.Concentrate when driving !!!

4)Not as well built as the ford . I've had a bit of paint peeling on the drivers side , door as well as well as the steering wheel leather also sort of feeling a bit wonky

I have to admit , the Clio is the perfect upgrade from the Zetec S.I have driven the Fiesta ST , and was really dissapointed with the crappy chassis and the dumb "drives like a rock on cement" 17" wheels.

Sorry about the rant , there are a bunch of ppl on this board that have had their cars longer that I have , that could help you with any reliability concerns.

Fiesta ZS & Passat
Thanks for your comprehensive post drastic. So where are you from? Most of the things you metioned I have already heard of. In a german forum I got the advice to buy the car with esp so I don't have always to pay so much attention to driving.
The driving position is a bit odd that's true. Something that annoys me a bit is that it feels that you are sitting as high as in a van compared to the fiesta. Maybe you only need some time to get used to it. The rattle issue was also a topic when top gear tested the 182 cup ;)

Would be great if some people could comment on the reliability of the car.

I am from South Africa . I unfortunately can't comment on the reliability on it yet , although this is my 2nd clio . The only things that I had go wrong on my old 1.4RT was the coil packs at about 40000 km and the engine mounts at about 70000km . I'm sure some of the guys on the forum might be able to help you on long term reliability of the car.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
C.K - best of luck finding a 182, m8!

As for reliability, I use mine everyday too and from work and also socially. I've managed just over 29,000 miles so far since buying it from new in December 2004 and it's never let me down.

The things that have gone wrong have been three punctures (bad luck, I guess?!) - one of the sidelights has failed twice and I've also developed the weeping headlamp washer problem, that seems to be very common on the 182s.

I also had the common steering knocking problem that a lot of people get - that the Renault garage sorted out for me.

Aside from that, it's been faultless. I regularly change both the oil and filter approximately every 6,000 miles and never drive the car hard from cold.

D.

Fiesta ZS & Passat
Every 6000 miles? Thats quite often. On the ZS I have to change oil and filter every 9375 miles/15000 km or once a year. Renault Germany says that the Cliosport should be serviced by a dealer every 20000 km or 12500 miles. That includes an oil and filter change.

Aren't there any other ppl who would like to share their experience with the car with me?

@edde
When I click on your link I only get this message:

C.K., you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Every 6000 miles? Thats quite often. On the ZS I have to change oil and filter every 9375 miles/15000 km or once a year. Renault Germany says that the Cliosport should be serviced by a dealer every 20000 km or 12500 miles. That includes an oil and filter change.

Aren't there any other ppl who would like to share their experience with the car with me?

@edde
When I click on your link I only get this message:

You have to be a member to read those pages.

6k /6month oil changes are a worthwhile idea on the cars not necessary for warently in the Uk etc but is ideal.

Fiesta ZS & Passat
Member to the board? I am. How else could I write posts. But every six months would be very short time periode. How much oil including filter volume does it take at every change?