ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Secondhand 172 - common faults

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

Hi everyone,

Iam looking to buy a 172 within the next few months. I havent seen any yet but will be going to see two at the weekend. What I really need to know is if there are any common faults or general problems that I should look out for.

Also need to know when the 172 Mk2 was introduced.

One of the cars Iam going to see is on a Y plate and is advertised as no.17 of a limited run. Can someone shed some light on this - is an early car being only no. 17 or did they do a limited edition version?

Thanks

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

is it a mk1 172?

If so its most probably the 172 Exclusive....green in colour, different wheels.

Was produced at the end of the mk1 run (I think only 172 were produced)

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

Yep its green and with full leather. Like I said I havent seen it but I want to find out as much as possible before I do.

When did the Mk2 come out?

2001 i irrc depends what you want from the car i personally dont like phase 1s at all dont like the look of em look like any other clio imho.

320d

Mark 1 = 1991-1998 (3 phases)

Mark 2 = 1998-2001

Mark 2 facelift model = 2001 onwards

Thats a basic clio history.

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

I like the way they look - the same as the other clios..............but with lots of power.

Cant be any worse than my current car..............a Saxo VTR.

I have had some good insurance quotes for the 172 and I think the Saxo is losing value so quickly so Iam going to get rid of it. Its done 65000 miles and it feels like it might start to give me trouble soon lol.

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

Just another quick question is the Cup version worth more or less than a normal 172.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Well I drive a mk1 and love it...actually prefer the look to the mk2...also as a drivers car its more raw...

more toys than a cup, but less toys than the newer mk2s

I think when it comes to things to look for, just use common sense...

Faults I had on my mk2, now no longer with me:

Airbag light - connection under passenger seat

Clunking from front suspension - strut top modification needed but not a guaranteed fix, I didnt bother and it seemed to make no difference to the handling.

Clunking engaging 1st gear - engine mount under battery needs tightening.

4k rpm buzzing - mid-silencer needed replacing, easier to replace with a cat-back after market exhaust, also drowns out any rattles..

Leaking h/lightwasher jets/missing balls - cant remember the fix but no big deal

Seats rattle in their runners - new runners?

Renault locking wheel nut adapter is a bit feeble and can distort.

ECU bracket can snap at the top right, where it is bolted to the body - had a washer welded onto mine and painted it black.

I found 3rd gear got a bit sticky when *absolutely* hammering it changing the gearbox oil seemed to solve this.

Good luck - youll love it. :)

ak_uk what did the cluncking noise sound like, mines making a right racket when cornering one way hard :(

Danny