ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seized slider

Mk3 dCi 88
Yes I have searched the other threads...OK so I'm changing pads and discs on a '99 1.6 16v.

Noticed that the pad wear was uneven and it turns out one slider is seriously welded with rust into the carrier. It's not all the way in and it's been in the bench vice, soaked with penetrating stuff and hit with a big hammer and it's not shifting.

Anything else I can try? Heat on the carrier? or is it too far gone and time for a reconditioned carrier?
If it's time for a replacement do I need to get a whole caliper and send the old one away for a rebate or are the carriers available on their own? The piston pushed back in OK so that part of the brake is not a lost cause.

Mk3 dCi 88
Well, blow torch + vice + big hammer + force + gravity got it out finally :)

Any tips for cleaning up the hole for the new guide pin? Can I get away with a slow drill to clean it or must I get hold of a thin wire brush attachment for the drill? Should I soak the hole with anything? Am in no hurry, car is off the road...

Cheers.

Clio 172 Cup
Drill is certainly one way and it shouldn't pick up if you get the right size, but does seem a bit risky. An appropriate brush shouldn't be too tricky to find, but perhaps some emry wrapped around a pencil or such might be a little more controlled?

Mk3 dCi 88
Thanks Jimbo, I think emery wrapped round something - even a slow small drill would be a good plan.

Other remaining problem is a snapped wheel bolt that is flush with the hub and not enough sticking out the back to get hold of. I currently have a hole in it but it's off centre - I'm thinking the blow torch might be my friend again here - anyone had success with heat in these circumstances?

I've tried to tap it round with punch and hammer and it's been soaked with WD40 overnight and also tried easy outs with no success - I'm persistent though :)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
clean it up as much as you can, then use some valve lapping paste and a nut driver/impact gun to work the slider back and forth. Flush it out with wd40 then brake cleaner, then regrease it and put it back together

172 cup
My snapped wheel bolts I drilled out, used an increasing drill bit size until it was just below the size of the snapped stud- then uncoiled what was left in with a screwdriver :)

I had the same issue with easy outs/tap etc but this method worked and didn't take too long.

172 cup
Mine did this when me and Gaz changed my discs and pads, we ended up snapping the bolt head off it was stuck that much, bought another caliber from cliospares.