ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sell up all my DSLR kit for a Compact System?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
  981 Cayman
Looking for opinions from those that have tried both.

I got quite into the photography but my interest has tailed off over the last year or so, and I think it's mainly because I don't want to carry around an SLR sized camera when I go places. I recently went to Europe, and took the camera kit, but it stayed in the boot the whole trip because I just couldn't be bothered carrying it around.

So are these compact systems a worthy replacement?

I'm thinking of going for the Nikon 1 but open to other suggestions if there are better alternatives?

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 120D M X Drive
What do you have?

In my opinion, it's not worth it - yes, you can get decent compacts but none will rival the quality of a DSLR.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Why not just keep the Dslr and 1 lense, no tripod crap etc.. It's the same hassle carrying around 1 little camera bag compared finding somewhere to store the compact.

Really good compacts can be a little chunky also.

Im interested in this cos I had very much the same problem. I tried Gallys suggestion of just using 1 (relatively) compact lens but it just seemed a waste of a DSLR. So I sold it. The trouble is that I've still to decide what to replace it with. A huge part of me wants to buy another DSLR cos I do actually miss it but then I remember why I sold it in the first place.

I came damned close to getting a Canon G12 but again, as Gally says, its actually quite a chunky unit and I wasn't convinced that it would scratch the photography itch I had. At this point I still own a couple of lenses and assorted gear (tripod, bags etc) so could easily get back into DSLR's but am still vaccillating wildly and daily between the different options.

^ Absolutely no help to you whatsoever I know. Just letting you know you're not alone ;)

Saying none rival DSLR's is a bit wrong - a lot of them these days actually use DSLR sensors and easily equal the quality. The "old" style bridge cameras like the Canon G10/G12 that use cmos sensors do suffer a bit from quality but they are quite cheap.

I had the same issue with my DSLR kit so I bought a fuji X100 - the quality is insane and it's lovely to have a camera I can walk around with in my hand - but at £750 they aren't cheap and they have a fixed lens. The fuji X1-Pro looks fantastic but trouble is it's not much smaller than a DSLR lol

What do you have?

In my opinion, it's not worth it - yes, you can get decent compacts but none will rival the quality of a DSLR.

Many like the NEX 7 will improve on most dslr's in the quality stakes.

I roll with a csc and a slr, happy days :D

If I were you, I wouldn't sell up. I'd just get a snap and shoot aswell, if you can.

Best of both words and almost limitless in what you want to do/acheive.

Also, using a snap and shoot for a few months may make you appreciate the quality of an SLR... However, if you do finally decide that you just prefer the smaller camera, you can then sell up. I certainly wouldn't sell up before making the jump...