ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sensor cleaning..

106 GTi
Interested to know how you get on Pete as I really need to sort mine out over the winter.

Oil Burner
the glue sticks/spatulas that you use in school with the end trimmed to make sure its flat and sharp edges removed.

Glue%20spreader.jpg

Rally bus
Plastic spatulas are sold in Ikea, 50p I think. Trim the end to your sensor size and wrap the pad around the end.

A red missile
I use a plastic spoon and cut the bowl off, smooth it and wrap a section of pec pad around that, works just as well as the 30 quid jobs. I use eclipse as well, f**king expensive but definately worth it, still only do it sparringly on lenses though, mostly the Nikon lens pen does the job.

Megane Mk4
I use cotton ear buds. I find they are small enough to get into all the corners. In worst case scenario's I use lens cleaning fluid on the cotton bud on one end, clean with the damp end then dry off with the dry.

But like I said, worst case scenario..

A red missile
Sensor pen? sounds interesting, any pics/links to have a nosey at please :) Could be worth investing in.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Can you actually take the camera into a shop and get the sensor cleaned?

yes but dont take it to jessops, go to a t4 cameras or london camera exchange in chelt they will do it and they are good...

cotton buds are a really bad idea they tend to malt and will leave little bits of cotton on the sensor and could scratch it...

other option is to send your camera back to nikon and they do it free of charge, well i have sent a couple back and got them done free of charge and had a service at the same time, cleaned the viewfinder too...

106 GTi
Can you actually take the camera into a shop and get the sensor cleaned?

yes but dont take it to jessops, go to a t4 cameras or london camera exchange in chelt they will do it and they are good...

cotton buds are a really bad idea they tend to malt and will leave little bits of cotton on the sensor and could scratch it...

other option is to send your camera back to nikon and they do it free of charge, well i have sent a couple back and got them done free of charge and had a service at the same time, cleaned the viewfinder too...

Ta- London Camera Exchange was going to be my choice, where is T4 Cameras ?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

Ta- London Camera Exchange was going to be my choice, where is T4 Cameras ?

swindon, newbury or witney bit out of your way i guess....

ukaskew- why not contact nikon... they are normally pretty happy to help and fairly cheap if they charge...

Thanks for all the responses.

I feel none the wiser though, so many options. May just splash out, 12 swabs should last me bloody ages, only need to use one on the 350D then I can sell the thing!

Will keep a look out for a Plastic spatula though!

Update:

Kit lens @ F/32 @ 55mm with Auto Contrast added after, no prizes for anyone who can tell which one is the after shot..

IMG_7448-PS-S.jpg

IMG_7449-PS-S.jpg

Might have a crack at those last few specs later but rather happy, can sell the thing now!

R.I.P Zonda S
Either would work I guess, just need to make sure to give it a right good scrub to get all the crud off it.

*Disclaimer* This will work on the sensor only ! Dont be an idiot and try this on the mirror ;)