ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SERIOUS TROUBLE!

My friend has a major issue on his Daihatsu 1.0 TD

He removed the turbo. And drove mile down the street to buy some parts...

So he turns the car on....parks...turns the car off....car is still running....pulls out the keys....STILL RUNNING.........gives pedal to the floor...throttle stucks at max rpm.....cut off the fuel pump.....car still screams!!!!!!!!!!

eventually after 5 mins, cooler exploded, car stopped....maybe somethings broken, we dont know....

WHAT HAPPEND?!?!?! Hes still in depression, he wonders how else could have we turned off the engine...

If you were being serious tho, you could have slapped the car into 5th and just dumped the clutch - it would have stalled.

Tho you dont think of these things when in a panic.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

No keys in ignition and engine still runs... VERY VERY SPOOKY.....

And the purpose of removing the turbo was?????

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

This happened to my mates Mum in her diesel 4x4 and it does happen...

She just put it in gear and stalled it!

silver valver/hybrid

seen it on a sierra, used to tick over on 2 cylinders when the ignition was switched, off, a good kick and it would stop!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Blue Mule on 12 November 2003

What would happend if he plugged out cables off distributor cap?
err... its a diesel mate... :oops:

Leon Cupra

A mate put a new alternator on his nova a few years back and somehow fooked up the wiring. He put the big wires back on but there was three little wires with spade connectors on to go back on and couldnt remember which way round they went back on. Anyhow when he tried it out the alternator it worked fine but when he took the keys out of the ignition the bloody thing wouldnt switch off, we were all rolling about on the floor laughing.

What would happend if he plugged out cables off distributor cap?
If it was a petrol you would risk giving yourself an electric shock! but it would stop the engine!

Thats made my night, reminds me of a mate of mine who used to do the same, take his car apart then think about buying the parts he might need!

with it being disel if im thinkin rite as long as the glow plug stays hot the engine runs on? i carnt see removing the turbo causing that.... but then again why remove parts then use the car. I quite often need parts half way thro a job but use a different car to get them. wish the guy good luck from me. thinkin bout it is the glow plug only there to heat cylinder mixture up so aint used after startup

the only way to shut off a diesel engine is halt the fuel flow. old diesels have a habbit of running on after the keys have been taken out ignition. it wud be a fuelling problem, injection pump, sumthin like that

jimbo

should of been able to pull the lead off the cut off valve and it should have stopped. it is a funny story though.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

My friend has a major issue on his Daihatsu 1.0 TD

He removed the turbo. And drove mile down the street to buy some parts...

So he turns the car on....parks...turns the car off....car is still running....pulls out the keys....STILL RUNNING.........gives pedal to the floor...throttle stucks at max rpm.....cut off the fuel pump.....car still screams!!!!!!!!!!

eventually after 5 mins, cooler exploded, car stopped....maybe somethings broken, we dont know....

WHAT HAPPEND?!?!?! Hes still in depression, he wonders how else could have we turned off the engine...

it is a deisal ,isnt it(you put td)
with no turbo on it oil would have pissed every due to the turbo oil feed not be connected to anything.this oil was probably sucked into the engine and then it run up on its own oil.the only way of stopping them is by trying to stall it(let the clutch up in gear with the brake pressed).it will either burn the clutch out or stall the engine.deisal engines love there oil,after all thats basically what they run on.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 14 November 2003

but if the feed wasnt connected it would simply be on the floor, not inside the cylinders.
the oil feed has the capability of supplying a lot of oil under high pressure,so that will be spraying out+the wind caused by you driving it about will be blowing it about+the inlet will be sucking air into the engine.there is ever chance all the oil vapour/particles blowing around would get sucked into the engine.you dont need much to get into the engine before it runs on its own.

that theory is clutching at straws, especially since it was parked up, and the pressure/aperature combination would need to be something special to particulate/vapourise oil so that it could travel through the inlet & filtration system.

I have no idea why it did it though.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

as soon as the jet of oil hits something under the bonnet it going to spray everywhere.He said they cut of the fuel and it still kept going.it had to be running on something other than just fresh air.have you ever fitted a turbo and forgot the feed pipe or fitted the pipe wrong-oil goes everywhere!

yea, but what im saying is that for it to really spray everywhere that it can fuel an engine on vapour/droplets then its gotta have some really special aperature wise rather than spurting out a 1/2" fitting or whatever that car has.

Then youll shortly have problems with the engine seizing to a halt rather than the cooler blowing.

Like i said, i have no idea.........dont touch diesels

p.s. you sure it isnt running on air alone! lol

Diesels might be called "oil burners" but they havent burnt oil as we know it for about 80 years! The engine speed is controlled by the amount of fuel going in.

The more fuel you inject, the more air it sucks in, and away it goes. They run about 120:1 AFR at idle up to about 20:1 at full throttle (hence - no cat). Turbo diesels have a pressure sensor which monitors manifold pressure and gives feedback to the ecu to tell it if its putting the right amount of fuel in as asked for. If theres no boost pressure there, it thinks "oh sh*t, I havent revved the engine to spin the turbo", so it injects some more fuel, which revs the engine some more, but no pressure again. It just gets carried away revving to full engine speed until all that oil has pissed out everywhere and seized the engine.

Its still quite funny though!

PS - Ben R is right - the fuel has to go in at approx 2000bar ifs it direct injection so I dont think the turbo feed can muster that somehow.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you squirt some oil down an intake pipe on a deisal and you will see what i mean.have had them at work where a turbo leaked oil into the inlet(bearing seal) and where people over fill them with oil and it reaches the inlet through the breather system.both cases they revved up like f**k on the oil.the more oil in there the harder it revs.the only way you can stop them is by stalling it and if its a big deisal engine your lucky if you can(burns the clutch out first).if you ever seen one go you would see what i mean.modern deisal engines do have cat converters along with an egr system.modern deisal injection systems dont work like that the manifold sensor is so the computer can control turbo operation(either wastegate or variable vanes).the deisal is injected at high pressure to give more accuracy(injection duration,timing,spray pattern and to enable two stage injection) and to make it quiter(due to the combustion chamber being in the piston crown rather than in a separate chamber in the cylinder head like on old deisals).most modern deisals have a max injection pressure of about 1500bar but thats at high revs and full throttle.they only inject at a pressure of about 300bar at idle.

I agree that large low speed diesel engines will run off virtually anything that is combustable (after all they use to run on coal before they went over to the dual-combustion cycle), but I find it hard to believe that a 1.0l turbo diesel would run on engine oil. It certainly wouldnt rev to max engine speed as described because of the time taken to stratify the charge - not to mention the pumping losses to compress the mixture. Fuel can still be injected as the injection pump is still mechanical.

Since I wasnt there when it happened I cant be 100% about anything, so Im not saying Im right, Im just giving my opinion on it. This car must be at least 11 years old if Parkers is to go by so I doubt it has a modern style ECU with EGR or a particulate filter (it is impossible to have a cat on a diesel - they burn very lean which oxidizes the platinum on the inside of the cat). Direct injection does what you say it does but the main reason its used is to increase the cycle efficiency/BMEP by reducing the work required to compress the mixture (it takes less energy to compress "pure" air).

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you started the subject of ecus.yes a car that old would be a coventional pump set up(with an electrical fuel cut off solenoid).NEW DEISAL CARS DO HAVE CATS.Deisal engines can run on there own oil ask any half decent mechanic

hush hush now children......its only a diesel and its really only a charade........i forgot anyways lol.