ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Setting camber yourself...

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I'd look into this to see if it was possible. Using something like this:

4e5d_1.jpg

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/ind..._id=87&zenid=a44936758438b8d6dfe943af72ec798f

It can be used for castor and camber. Say if I got that and was able to make a decent job of it, would there be any disadvantage as opposed to taking it to a place that could setup the suspension for me? Without corner weighting that is.

Could even knock up a home made camber gauge pretty easy I guess, but for the price of this I may as well buy one.

Thoughts?

172 & RSi
How can you measure the camber with a spirit level? Or is that just for getting it a 0deg? Wanna know cause I want to have a go at mine so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

TrackCar & F30 330d
It depends how flat you floor is. The race team i work for have 4 metal plates which are on little feet. We set the floor up to its perfectly flat then we use a didital camber gauge which goes into a triangle frame which we place up to the wheel.

It depends how flat you floor is. The race team i work for have 4 metal plates which are on little feet. We set the floor up to its perfectly flat then we use a didital camber gauge which goes into a triangle frame which we place up to the wheel.

Indeed, I find getting the floor flat to be the hardest job. I will one day set up a true flat patch in my garage....

btw, most digital gauges aren't that accurate (I wouldn't trust one beyond 0.25 deg), they are prone to errors that just can't occur with a bubble.

stand level vertical with the bottom edge against the rim at the bottom, hold the level vertical and measure distance from top of rim to level. I used to work out the angle, nowadays I just work in mm.

I use toe strings to set the toe, 2 poles with grooves cut at the same width, a length of fishing line, and some tyraps to attached the poles to the car front and rear.

106 GTI
Indeed, I find getting the floor flat to be the hardest job. I will one day set up a true flat patch in my garage....

btw, most digital gauges aren't that accurate (I wouldn't trust one beyond 0.25 deg), they are prone to errors that just can't occur with a bubble.

stand level vertical with the bottom edge against the rim at the bottom, hold the level vertical and measure distance from top of rim to level. I used to work out the angle, nowadays I just work in mm.

I use toe strings to set the toe, 2 poles with grooves cut at the same width, a length of fishing line, and some tyraps to attached the poles to the car front and rear.

Want to do mine?

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
If you've got an iphone or itouch there's a digi angle finder app that's very accurate. Of course, the flat floor is the tricky part.
Adjusting camber will affect toe, so you need to adjust toe after setting camber. I got mine done by a guy specializing in race and track car set-up for £50 the other day.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a fail on my part, I wouldn't be able to really set the toe with that bit of kit lol whereas obv a setup place will do.

Will see who's local that could do it I think.

alien green rs133
if you can get an iphone to acurately tell you degree's from north you can set toe at home???

i use tracking gear at work and spirit level for camber :D