ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Setting up a home VPN

Is it possible for free? If so how do you go about it? My dad wants a kindle fire to use at work he has an external HDD connected to a computer at home which has data on like wiring diagrams and such he wants access to them from which ever site he goes to if he has wifi connections.

Cheers

Nick.

Just thinking that I have a dynamic IP in which I've heard ill need to use the likes of Hide My Ass to keep track of my IP and give me a static one?

Drop box could be one didn't think of that bit not sure how big all his work data is (there is a lot!)

SQ5
Just call your ISP and get a static IP. If its not free, as usually only is for business users, then google dyndns.

You'll get a proper address too and the software will constantly update it for your ISP IP address.

SQ5
Yea, dyndns basically gives you a dummy static IP in a URL form. The software on the PC will the constantly update it with your actual IP address.

So say you set up an account your address could be Chapster.dyndns.org.

You then setup the VPN on your PC and router and then log in through the above address.

FF Clio 182
I have my own VPN server I host it off a MacMini just register with no-ip.co.uk and they give you a domain name, there is free ones or paid. Install a little app on whatever device you hosting the VPN server and it talks to there server allowing you to keep a dynamic IP address but still using your domain name. As your networks IP changes it tells there DNS server what it's changed to. Very good idea for security in my mind.