ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sh**ing bricks about cambelt etc

Clio 182
Mt 182 is on 41k miles and is an 05 car, sat on the drive right now and about to have the standard exhaust replaced tomorrow with a ktec supersport. The cars booked in to have cambelt, dephaser pulley and other belts changed done on monday. Would you guys just not drive it till Monday? Read so many horror threads on here about it snapping.

Opinions?

Cheers
James

Impreza Wagon
The cambelt could fail on the way to the garage on Monday? If you need to drive it then go for it, if not just leave it until next week.

Golf GTD Mk7
if you live your life thinking "what if", you'll get nowhere. These things are not an exact science. The belt might be good for the life of the car, but then it might go all of a sudden. You'll never know, you just need to assess and minimise the risk. Just drive it, you'll be fine, maybe just don't rag it ;)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Why would it all of a sudden snap...? Think how many people whith clio sport's who arnt on a forum...do you think they have ever heard about the belts snapping and get it done on low mileage

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Just drive it, there is not much chance it will go, a lot of cars never have theirs done, yours is only over by 1 year.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Mines an 05 182 on 52k and I don't no if its been done - bought it salvage with no history. If its goes it goes. I've just not had the time to get it done. TBH it will probably cost nearly the same to replace the engine as it would to get the cambelt done so i'm not too arsed.

And my 172 is the same, its got 90k on a 02 plate, no idea if its ever had the belt done, bottom end is knocking so I'm going to be doing the shells soon on that, for what the car cost me its not worth me spending the money getting the belt done.

Luck of the draw if it goes or not.

I'm not saying this is 100% the case but the traders on here have an interest in getting people to have there belts done as they make money, its often them telling you to get it done. (In no way am I saying this is bad - were I a trader I would try anything I could to get legitimate work.) Please traders don't take that comment in the wrong way.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Really? A new engine will be over £500 in itself, let alone the cost of other replacement parts and labour.

If you shop about you can get them for 300-400, and what parts? Service bits is all you would need really. I don't mean to say it would be easy or ideal obviously it would be easier to get the belt done. But if you are handy yourself with the old spanners its not the end of the world if the belt snaps its not going to cost you thousands.

Mk5 golf gti
if at 5 years/72k the belt was on a verge of snapping

renault would have reccomended getting them done alot earlier

make of that what you will :)