ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shift light.....

Hey all!

The missus has recently bought a 172, and I must say that it is probably the most fun car I have ever driven:D

We were wondering what the score is with the shift light that its suppoesed to have:oops: Does it just come on when you are on the limiter?

Fank you!!!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Its supposed to come to tell you your optimum gearchange has been reached.If you notice it comes on a bit earlier if you thrash from cold to save a bit of engine

ian

172cup

isnt an optimum gear change.... its more a warning to tell you your fuking your car driving like this. It comes on 500rpm before the limiter

cock mobile.

Have you hit the limiter?

Keep revving all the way to the limiter to see if it comes on. If you hit the limiter before you get a light then its busted.

Quote: Originally posted by d.brown on 30 August 2005
isnt an optimum gear change.... its more a warning to tell you your fuking your car driving like this. It comes on 500rpm before the limiter

What makes you say that? The engine is more than capable of revving higher than even the 7250 redline without damage.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

its more a warning to tell you your fuking your car driving like this.

I doubt driving a Renaultsport up to its limiter or less is fuking the car up :confused:

Is there any way of adding a light on top of the dash, I prefer to look at the road than my speedo when going that fast, I dont really think its in the best place.

clio 200

just dont even pay attention to it, you should be able to tell when to change gear by engine noise and the feel of the power curve

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 30 August 2005

What makes you say that? The engine is more than capable of revving higher than even the 7250 redline without damage.
Not a lot more than 7250.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Rev counter does the job for most people...lol no need for a fast & spurious shift light.;)

Cheers for the info!!

Tried noting large tonight and it came on just before the limiter, but as said above, cannae see the point in it myself. If it comes on, then youre way past the optimum revs for changing up on a standard engine......

RS-1, Bebop, CTR

Actualy, in my experiance, the optimum revs for shifting up are just somewhere near the limiter...

If you shift at 7250/7000 the revs will jump back to 5500, to the point of peak torque, thus the engine will rev on with its full potential...i could be wrong, tho...

All 172s should have it a number dont though Ive no idea whay maybe a bunch of broken LEDs were fitted most owners dont even know it should be there though.

Anyway its not an optimum as stanted above so its no huge loss.

Abarth 500

i luv that its a green warning not the usuall red, this says to me, your doing a good thing by reving so hard lol

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 30 August 2005

All 172s should have it a number dont though Ive no idea whay maybe a bunch of broken LEDs were fitted most owners dont even know it should be there though.
The ones that dont have it werent supposed to have it... there is physically no hole/space for the light.

Its not because they were fitted with a broken LED. lol

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 30 August
All 172s should have it a number dont though Ive no idea whay
I heard a rumour it was because everybody was crashing when trying to make the shift light come on :eek:
I doubt thats the real reason though!

172 Exclusive

Mines a Mk1 172 2001 and i dont have a shift light :confused:

Or at least not that ive seen while bouncing off the limiter.

Scirocco GT 210

Quote: Originally posted by Andy_M on 31 August 2005

Mines a Mk1 172 2001 and i dont have a shift light :confused:

Or at least not that ive seen while bouncing off the limiter.
Mines a 2000 172 and I have a shift light :eek:

172 Exclusive

Haha, youve got to luv renault.

Not like i need a shift like to know when to change gear, but i feel like im missing out now haha

Ziel Nurburgring

Peak power is 6500rpm on a 172/182, they rev to 7250 when warm and the shifty is about 6800 or something. If you see it, you should have already changed.

Ford Fiesta

its on the right hand side at the bottom, of the clocks not left. little green gear stick symbol.

I rarely catch sight of it, its not exactly in an obvious position, much easier to see the whacking great rev meter not far from it if you want a visual clue to stop yourself hitting the limiter.

Clio 182 Trophy no. 235

Just reading the manual, it is referred to as a Over-Revving Warning Light. Description is - Indicates that you need to change gear.

106 GTi

Easyist way to see this light is when you turn the ignition on and most off the dash lights come on.

When it comes on for real its just there to say change now or you will hit the limiter!

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by freefly on 31 August 2005

Just reading the manual, it is referred to as a Over-Revving Warning Light. Description is - Indicates that you need to change gear.

I thought the red on the rev meter means change gear ?