ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shift Light??

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I have read that it was a bit of a gamble with the kit you got on your Clio, and one of these is a shift light.
My 172 is from 2001 (X reg) and it is the one with the aluminium bonnet too. The shift light is on the instrument pannel, along with a tyre pressure light, but the shift light doesnt work....not that I have tried to get it to work and been no-where near the red line.... honest ;)

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I am wrong on the tyre light. I is a round circle with a wiggly flat bit on the bottom with a ! in the middle. It doesnt look like the standard light like this tyre-pressure-warning-light.jpg so no idea what it is!!

Rusty Cup
No 172 came with shift lights! a number did come with Over Rev Indicators if thats what you're referring to.

Kudos for tackling such a grey area on your 4th post :p

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
That has cleared that up! It is just that there is the icon for it but doenst do anything, even when I have redlined it. Still confused by this other light though :-/

This is a picture of my dash
IMG_0314.jpg
Top left is the mystery one and the one below it is the one I thought was the shift light.

Well, start off big with the topics! My friend was showing off with his shift light that he has in his 182

Rusty Cup
Shift.. I mean Over Reving Indicator is located inbetween the two dials not on the side (well it was on my 182 ive never owned a 172)

i have this on my phase 1...everyone knows it as a "shift light" but it is in fact a light that will come on if you are over-revving the engine,it's a bit of a stupid idea really because by the time it would come on if you didn't know you had to change gear you shouldn't be driving lol.

I tried mine once when i first got the car to see when it came on and it was way into 7k rpm...i didn't try again as i don't want my engine to leave the engine bay;)

Just to clarify on the ph1 172 it's a little green gearstick symbol,on the left of the clocks

clio 182 trophy
i have this on my phase 1...everyone knows it as a "shift light" but it is in fact a light that will come on if you are over-revving the engine,it's a bit of a stupid idea really because by the time it would come on if you didn't know you had to change gear you shouldn't be driving lol.

I tried mine once when i first got the car to see when it came on and it was way into 7k rpm...i didn't try again as i don't want my engine to leave the engine bay;)

Just to clarify on the ph1 172 it's a little green gearstick symbol,on the left of the clocks

Take it to 7250rpm you pansy, that's what they were made for!:p

Mondial Blue 172 Cup
Well its a picture of a gearstick which comes on when you need to change gear and is green. Green is good so I'd say its a shift light. :p

FF Clio 182
^^^ this is true. But if you are taking your car to the limiter when cold then clearly you don't appreciate your engine.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
No 172 came with shift lights! a number did come with Over Rev Indicators if thats what you're referring to.

Kudos for tackling such a grey area on your 4th post :p

my ph2 172 has one, I assume it's a shift light, as it changes colour, orange, green, red.
Only discovered it pulling away on some ice last winter with a heavy foot

Shift.. I mean Over Reving Indicator is located inbetween the two dials not on the side (well it was on my 182 ive never owned a 172)

bottom right hand corner for me, by the magical 160mph mark on the speedo