ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SHIFTLIGHT IN 172’S

Does the shift-light in the instrument cluster work on uk spec cars?

if so, does anyone know the wiring solution to get mine working.

or has anyone fitted and after market one (omex,micro dynamics etc)?

any help please.

Silver Fabia vRS

Some of the MK1 172s came without this. It coincided with the removal of the alloy bonnet too.

Do a search for this as it was discussed in depth about a year ago!

bloody hell that was quick!!!!!!!!!!!!

errmmm what alloy bonnet?.......they came with an alloy bonnet?? oooohhhh.how can you tell if you got one.

geoff ive looked back over the last 21 pages and done a search but nothing.could you enlighten me if you can remember?

cheers Grant.

Some UK spec Mk1s (upto Oct2000 I think) came with gear change light and a light weight alloy bonnet. The easiest way of telling whether the bonnet is alloy or not is how heavy it is. I believe the gear change light is related to the ecu and therefore no easy activation solution is available.

Cheers towser.so how do i go about fitting one then?

what ignition systems do 172 s have,(ie:cdi)?.

any help.

Rusty Cup
I wonder if Grant ever got his shift light to work.. part of me hopes so, i do hope he didnt harbour a deep resentment towards his dash on the grounds that the so called optimum gear change indicator simply refused to indicate the optimum point to which to change gear resulting in a thoroughly tainted Cliosport experience.. Im sure it was all fine..

VaVa
It's an over-revving warning light. Not an 'optimum gear change indicator", btw. It's just to warn you that you're close to the limiter.

Ph 1 172
The rev limited is to let you know your over revving it, it is a optimum gearshift changer light, also has anyone weighed the alloy bonnets my car has one and it's proper lightweight

Phase 1 Clio 172
i was wondering if the shift lights can be switched on if its an ecu problem can it not just be switched on with the aid of a laptop like the vw golfs have lots of tricks that are locked out all you do is plug the laptop in and switch them back on would the clios not be like this?

320d
The rev limited is to let you know your over revving it, it is a optimum gearshift changer light, also has anyone weighed the alloy bonnets my car has one and it's proper lightweight

The alloy bonnet is so light isnt it. I went to open my mates Clios bonnet and though the catch wasn't undone because it was so heavy compared to mine. My 172 had the shift light too, it was cool when it lit up, I'm impressed by small things like that lol

VaVa
^^^ Im affraid renault do not agree with you Mr Laingo as page 4 of this document clearly references a 'Gearchange optimization indicator light' the idea of an 'over revving warning light' is nothing short of sheer bolshevism.

http://www.renault.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Communiqu%C3%A9%20de%20presse/en-EN/Pieces%20jointes/3799_Clio_Ragnotti_gb.pdf

I was searching for info on failed shift lights and found this thread. Then I read that you dared to say I was wrong. It seem Renault do actually agree with me.

Question is, what do you believe? A press release converted into pigeon english? Or TFM?

01062008366.jpg

Either way... imho... if it is the 'optimum gear change indicator' as you say, it's f**king set wrong. lol.

j26

Clio 197
i have one of these on my 2002 clio 172, wondered wot was gunna go wrong when it came on!!!!!!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Why are people looking for a tiny light on the dash when accelerating hard?