ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shopping list - Any advice or am I good to go?

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Evening,

I own a filthy car. Properly minging. :smile: I've decided to get into this shiny car thing and see how clean I can make it. I've got literally bugger all in terms of car cleaning stuff as I just stick it through the tesco car wash when it wants doing (which I know is awful to do but I'm lazy and it's cold :smile:).

I've done my research etc and this is what I think I need. The polishing stuff isn't a major priority as Knuckles is going to do that for me later in the year once it's warmed up a bit but the rest of it is stuff I think I need.

Any opinions? Also, best towels for cleaning glass with?

AoTAmNz.png

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Not a bad starter kit, it's all about finding products that work for you really. What some like, others don't which I guess is the beauty of detailing.

You will want a Tar and Glue remover which I couldn't see on your list, something like AF ObliTARate or CarPro Tar-X will be fine. An APC of some description for arches and shuts etc also a Quick-Detailer for a little added protection after washes is a good idea. They also remove drying streaks etc.

Of course, you can add to your collection over time.. Just start with the basics, I would get your washing technique sorted before you even think about DA's etc.

I personally use MFMadness Cloudbusters for cleaning glass.

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
You need to break it down a bit into the different types of washes. The full correction detail that is done once a year maybe less where everything is used, maybe what your getting knuckles to do, the protection details where you're cleansing and re waxing anything between every 3 to 6 months, and the routine maintenance washes done every week or two dependant on how often you choose

Start with the basics, your maintenance wash;
A pre rinse with something like VP citrus pre wash applied through a spray bottle or snow foam lance then rinsed with your pressure washer
Wash with 2 bucket method method with lambs wool mitt and a nice shampoo
A microfibre drying towel
A quick detailer for wiping down afterwards
Glass cleaner and tyre dressing

Your protection washes;
After the wash process as above before drying, the use of tar and iron removers followed by a re wash and claying the car. This ensures the paint is as clean as possible, then prepare it with lime prime or another, and wax on top, trim dressings

For you're correction details, you've only got cutting compounds and pads, you'll need a finer finishing compound and pad to refine like megs 205 and hex logic white and black pads

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Not a bad starter kit, it's all about finding products that work for you really. What some like, others don't which I guess is the beauty of detailing.

You will want a Tar and Glue remover which I couldn't see on your list, something like AF ObliTARate or CarPro Tar-X will be fine. An APC of some description for arches and shuts etc also a Quick-Detailer for a little added protection after washes is a good idea. They also remove drying streaks etc.

Of course, you can add to your collection over time.. Just start with the basics, I would get your washing technique sorted before you even think about DA's etc.

I personally use MFMadness Cloudbusters for cleaning glass.

Yeah, I gathered a lot of it was opinion, but then I suppose it's like everything else. What 1 person likes, somebody else won't.

I'll add in the tar remover, an APC and a quick detailing spray as well. I wasn't going to buy it in one hit (although it'd be nice!), which is why the polishing stuff wasn't really a priority.

Where do you get those towels from? Can't find them on Amazon or CYC.

You need to break it down a bit into the different types of washes. The full correction detail that is done once a year maybe less where everything is used, maybe what your getting knuckles to do, the protection details where you're cleansing and re waxing anything between every 3 to 6 months, and the routine maintenance washes done every week or two dependant on how often you choose

Start with the basics, your maintenance wash;
A pre rinse with something like VP citrus pre wash applied through a spray bottle or snow foam lance then rinsed with your pressure washer
Wash with 2 bucket method method with lambs wool mitt and a nice shampoo
A microfibre drying towel
A quick detailer for wiping down afterwards
Glass cleaner and tyre dressing

Your protection washes;
After the wash process as above before drying, the use of tar and iron removers followed by a re wash and claying the car. This ensures the paint is as clean as possible, then prepare it with lime prime or another, and wax on top, trim dressings

For you're correction details, you've only got cutting compounds and pads, you'll need a finer finishing compound and pad to refine like megs 205 and hex logic white and black pads

Cheers for the run down - I wasn't planning on rewaxing twice a month but still nice to have a run through of what should be done how often :smile:
Knuckles was going to do a full decontamination, wash, polish and wax for me but he doesn't have a covered working area so he wasn't particularly fond of doing it in January :tonguewink: Can't say I blame him!

Thanks again anyway, appreciate it!

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Yeah, I gathered a lot of it was opinion, but then I suppose it's like everything else. What 1 person likes, somebody else won't.

I'll add in the tar remover, an APC and a quick detailing spray as well. I wasn't going to buy it in one hit (although it'd be nice!), which is why the polishing stuff wasn't really a priority.

Where do you get those towels from? Can't find them on Amazon or CYC.

If you get a basic kit together for maintanence and protection washes you should be able to keep on top of Knuckles hard work.. The key is to get your wash technique on point and then in then it turn it will reduce the need to correct the paint as often.

If you want to do it in stages, get your maintenance kit sorted and then add the decontamination bits at a later stage.

Polished Bliss stock Microfibre Madness bits, they aren't cheap but they are lovely towels and last really well if you look after them. They also post FOC if you just wanted to order those separately.

I noticed you have Iron-X down as a wheel cleaner, technically it's an iron remover so shouldn't be used as a 'go-to' wheel cleaner during maintenance washes. For this you could either use a shampoo/water mixture if your wheels are protected or a dedicated wheel cleaner such as AF Imperial or VP Bilberry.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
So by basic kit you mean the prewash/wash/wax stuff, with claying being done every 6 months or so?

The polisher was more for my headlights, they're dreadful and need doing ASAP. Never mind crappy bulbs, I could have the sun in each headlight and it wouldn't make a difference :smile:

I'll have a look for those towels and wheel cleaner anyway. Thanks for the advice.

If you buy 105, you arguably want 205 too, as that's the finishing polish. (in cases where there's hardly any correction required you should just be able to use 205 only - that's what I've done, not actually used my 105 yet!).