ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Short Shift for 172 & Cup

Anyone any experience of short shift kits on 2002/03 model cars? Any opinions/supplier info and prices would be appreciated :)

Renault Laguna Coupe

... yes the k-tec one works well. Roamer has it on his car - I tried it last weekend, took a mile or so to get used to it then no problems at all.

Mike - you should feel privileged ;) youre the first person who Ive let drive my car apart from me, apart from the k-tec guys and the Renault monkeys - but I watch them like a hawk.

The quick shift is great, makes it much more precise a gearchange then the original (imho), and on a mk2/cup its easier to fit as well as you dont have to drop part of the exhaust down as you do with the mk1 (apparently).

Clio RS 200

Just fitted one to my Mk2 172. Was easy to do only 4 screws for a heat shield, one conecting bolt then a large circlip. Took under an hour to fit. The gear changes are alot more pricice now and there feels alot les slack in the linkage. Cost £170(including postage and vat) from K-tec.

if only i had the $$$ for it...postage plus material cost must be quite steep to get it to singapore where i am...skint skint skint...especially with christmas around the corner :(

Out of interest, does anyone have a photo of the k-tec kit? Does it come with a new gear nob or can you just whack the original onto the linkage?

Cheers :)

telford_mike where were you thinking of a beer.. I might pop down and say hello ;-)

y0z

y0z2a@thebigsleep.co.uk

OK, I got my act together and called them! Works perfectly, easy to fit on the cup (as with the mk2) made by B&M and k-tec are cheaper than demon tweeks :)

bla bla... what for??... from 1st to 2nd gear if you pass it too quick with stock shift, youll scratch the box..

talking about this.. anyone got a solution for this?? (scratching from 1st to 2nd?)

I am the only one here, by the sound of it, who doesnt recommend it. I have now had it on for a couple of weeks, and once it was re-adjusted, it at least changes relatively ok. However, IN MY CAR it is no better, or more precise than the original linkage was, and I find the only reason the throw is somewhat shorter is that they have shortened the actual lever, which makes it even more awkward to reach. I am quite pissed of that I spent 200 squid on one of those. Which is the reason Ill buy anyones original linkage... If anyone has one for sale...

Hmm, interesting! I think its the old adage of "if it aint broke, dont fix it!". The std gearchange is perfectly smooth/fine for me and I cant really see how much more you can improve on it, especially for £200!

For those that are happy with the kit, Id be v.interested to hear details of the benefits....

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2

Pillesnoppen it sound like the lever was not fitted correctly as no adjustments should be needed once the lever has been installed. It is impossible for the gear change to feel the same as the standard lever as it is not the length of the lever that is different it is the pivot point. We have 2 172s one with the lever and one with the standard lever and the difference between the 2 is huge. We have also fitted a few to Cups and they are no different to a standard 172 or any other Clio 2.

David.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

lo, i have short shift and there is a big difference its a lot better than the standard. reverse is the same lift up but instead of pushing forward it sort of bends round to the left ever so slightly. same with 5th but if ur a decent driver ul be used to it in about 2mins. :cool:

David!

I will make an appointment to come in and see yourselves when I am next in Bournemouth. I had it fitted at a local garage, after which I couldnt engage first gear. So I took it back( ?! ), and they spent ages adjusting the linkage( not the actual mechanism, but rather the bolt at the end of the lever that changes the gears, if you see what I mean ). The result is that it now changes fairly ok, but very hard, physical changes are necessary, and speed changing on full throttle acceleration is virtually impossible.

To change the subject, have you any further news on the bucket seats for the Cup?

Cheers!

Andreas

Renault Laguna Coupe

Pillesnoppen - Im sure k-tec can sort that out. As I said I drove Roamers last weekend and the changes were nice and precise. K-tec fitted it themselves.

My experience of short shifts is nothing but positive (bad pun!). I spent £700 on the Schnitzer kit for my E46 S3 and it was worth every penny!

K-tec will soon be receiving my order.......