ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should A 172 Feel Faster than a 182...?

Mini Cooper S sport
My 182 doesn't feel much different to my 172, I really couldn't say which felt faster. The 182 does handle much better though.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
prob ppyschological, but i too think my 172 now with 78K on it feels quicker than it did when i got it at 19K

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
next time we have a meet deb ill give u a side by side run down the m25 see whats quicker only way to find out

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
There fealt like there was no difference going from my 172 to 182 when i got it.Although once the miles went on it ,it was better.Probably just a nicely loosened up one

Clio MK 4
But if I remember back to the test drive I was smiling like a cheshire cat. I think you get used to the power.

I was thinking this the other day. Thought my car wasnt that fast but when i thought about the day i test drove i was amazed. (this is coming from a 1.2 8v corsa lol)

VaVa
If both cars make manufacturers figures, the difference is circa 8 bhp and about 20kg. Which to all intents and purposes is absolutely f**k all.

20kg is about half a tank of fuel.

b/g 182, meg tourer
My Vee feels sluggish until ima passenger.!!!...its your car you get used to it... more likely exactly the same..... bearing in mind there the same car.!!

totally agree here. me driving my 182 can seem slow. i let someone else drive it and im the passenger and im scared! seems much faster!

Mines just ticked over 38k and it's going like stink. That might also have something to do with a regular diet of 100RON and freezing cold weather :evil: :evil:

There might be good and bad examples of each, but overall I'd think the 182 is slightly quicker if anything, rather than the other way around?

fad

Clio 182 FF
I think its down to the fact the engines are mass produced and at the end of the day variences occur throughout the manufacture.

For example I have seen stock engines vary by as much as 15-20bhp. Also it could depend on the running in process as mentioned above.

My 182 doesnt feel as quick as my mates 172 with more miles but he hammers that left right and centre.

There are too many variables here to factor.

The moral of the story here Deb is drive it like you stole it and it will get quicker ;)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I should let you out in mine Deb. I've driven Clares 182 quite alot and the Cup always feels quicker in comparison.

Then again it feels quicker than FF 172's as well....must be a weight thing.;)

LY V6 with Recaros
Looks like a little lunchtime race is the answer then ;)

Dunc if you join in I'm sure to want an R26 even more, so no! :p

Titanium 182
Well as the 172 is peakier it seems faster as the powerband is a little more pronounced, but the 182's spread of torque accross the rev band means it's also slightly quicker in the real world.

But in practice there's nowt between 'em especially if you value your licence/health!!!!

RS Clio 172 Ph1
... depends on the Road and how much sleep I've had the night before! 90 seems to feel quicker on a 40mph road than a motorway!!

I always find music changes how slow i think my car is. Listen to something quick and loud, like the old bloc party stuff and the car feels faster, yet listen to something slow such as get cape, wear cape,fly and my car feels slower....

Or is that just me being a weirdo?

Yeah music does tend to influence my driving style sometimes. There was no music on while I was driving though lol.

MCS R56
If both cars make manufacturers figures, the difference is circa 8 bhp and about 20kg. Which to all intents and purposes is absolutely f**k all.

20kg is about half a tank of fuel.

I've heard not many 182's make their power.