ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

should I buy a clio sport?

Astra Sxi
Hi all

Hopefully in about a years time I should be able to get my self a new toy :)
The budget will be around 2k-2.5k
The question is should I get a 182. My 1st car was the clio and I did have alot of trouble with it but it hadn't been looked after well at all. Iv had vauxhall ford vw and toyota since but im after a small hot hatch that doesnt cost the earth to run. Ill only be doing 3k a year and probably only use it in the dry weather. I was hoping to keep what ever car I get for a long time and ideally would like a car thats abit special so maybe a potential future classic. What are your guys thoughts on the situation?

Thanks arron

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
Weekend toy = PH2 172, £1500 fora decent one, spent £500 on exhaust and eibach springs and buy a PS4 with the change. Win

Astra Sxi
Weekend toy = PH2 172, £1500 fora decent one, spent £500 on exhaust and eibach springs and buy a PS4 with the change. Win

My problem with the 172 is its down 10bhp from the start and im guessing these cars are hard to squeeze out the extra bhp for cheap. I know there not made for straight line speed but I still feel like im being robbed lol.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
My problem with the 172 is its down 10bhp from the start and im guessing these cars are hard to squeeze out the extra bhp for cheap. I know there not made for straight line speed but I still feel like im being robbed lol.

172's and 182's are pretty much the same performance wise. None of them make book figure anyway.
I'd get a mint 172 if I was you with your budget.

It's lighter than the 182 though so has the same power to weight as the 182 iirc.

If it's just a toy buy a 172 cup or as already a mint phase 1 172

Renaultsport Clio.

Renault Clio Renaultsport.

Maverick-and-Goose-Tom-Cruise-Top-Gun-Inverted-With-Mig-1280-Wallpaper-1.jpg

Astra Sxi
So am I best to just get hold of the 172 cuz its cheaper to buy? Did they do any limited editions or anything? Oh and how much does tax cost?

Fiesta ST2 MP215
£146 for 6 months, i think I should have bought a 172 CUP,mainly as they look better, best wheels and minimal exhaust problems compared to the 182, they are half the price too.

Yes they have Pov spec seats but people on here sell 182 Interiors for under a ton so I wouldn't worry about that, once that's in you have the best looking one.

I'd stick with the 172 CUP imo, unless you really care about having AC, belt jobs are cheaper on a 172 CUP too.

Astra Sxi
Ac wont bother me because its a toy and only adds further weight, problems and cost. So what is different about the cup and what are these engines good for miles wise. Also how do I tell its a cup? Are they numbered or anything?

Phase 1:
2335058984_af2f1f3600.jpg

Phase 2 (non cup):
clio.jpg

Phase 2 172 cup:
Clio172Cup.jpg

Notice the cup spoiler and the front washers are blanked along with the cup turinis. Thats the difference from the exterior anyway.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST2 MP215
See the Blue 172 CUP is the one to get on looks alone, or if you can get a PH1 Sunflower but so so so rare now and probably cost more than a Cup. Engines are Solid if they have been looked after, plenty on here well over 100K

Yeah forgot to mention the engines, I started posting and work picked up again so was half arsed lol.

As long as the belts, dephaser has been changed recently along with regular service then they are cracking! Fraser on here got his on about 140K

Astra Sxi
That 172 cup looks stunning. What else is different on the cup. Are they officially called cups like on the log book ect. Would hate to buy on to find out someone has just put the stuff on.

I would assume so yeh, I got a normal 172 so wouldn't know 100%.
If you got any questions when looking at a cup and you aint sure, just PM me or post in here.

Off the top of my head, no aircon, no xenons, no washer blanks, apparently thinner glass but still not 100% on that, Non sport seats as said before. My brain is taking a fart right now so hopefully someone else will comment with the complete difference :)

Fiesta ST2 MP215
CUP is on Log Book, but they will NOT have AC and will have the crap seats, best way of telling and I wouldn't get one that hasn't got the Turinis on.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Don't forget the cups are that blue :) it's pretty simple to distinguish one then. Unless you find an iceberg silver cup

Astra Sxi
Ok cheers for all the help guys. Its going to be a while yet anyway cuz im getting a house so this time next year should have the cash saved.