ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I carry on with the Clio?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I've said this on the other forum, but meh:

1. Your tyres are not track orientated. The name 'RainSport' would suggest that they arent an awesome tyre when really hot on a trackday. Get some decent tyres.
2. You've changed all the suspension & not had it setup - for example, i changed the springs on mine & the camber/toe was out by miles!! Get it setup.
3. Wheelspin, in a standardish clio? SRS? Learn to control the throttle better. Get some tuition.

A clio, when setup well, with a decent ish driver, will keep up with most things on a trackday. In fact, your clio used to, when i owned it ;)

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Reading this thread it makes me LOL even more at the thread talking about spending £2000 on mods for a Clio 172.

Basically Mark, you've spent £1300 and all you have achieved is a buggered Clio that is worth less 2nd hand. You're a smart guy.

Listerine & Poledo
Fresh semi-slicks all round
Full geometry reset

hell, if you still smoke away all your HP, get an LSD

Stripped yozza'd cup
Reading this thread it makes me LOL even more at the thread talking about spending £2000 on mods for a Clio 172.

Basically Mark, you've spent £1300 and all you have achieved is a buggered Clio that is worth less 2nd hand. You're a smart guy.

And he's learned from his mistake by asking.... you're the idiot here.
Once he's had it setup, the £1300 spent will make the world of difference and it will be a great track car... doesn't sound like wasted money to me?

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Mine has standard Renaultsport suspension and handles brilliantly on track and road. It doesnt spin up the inside front wheel on track at all. I had been using Toyo T1-R's on the car but now have a set of R1-R's fitted. Brakes are Ferodo DS2500 on the front with Brembo High Carbon discs, and EBC Green rear pads on standard rear discs. For trackdays I put the rear strut brace in to stiffen the rear up a bit. I just go out and drive the wheels off it. Try a session with an instructor and you'll be surprised how much they can teach you. I did it at the Renaultsport day at Oulton Park last year. Well worth it.

I've said this on the other forum, but meh:

1. Your tyres are not track orientated. The name 'RainSport' would suggest that they arent an awesome tyre when really hot on a trackday. Get some decent tyres.
2. You've changed all the suspension & not had it setup - for example, i changed the springs on mine & the camber/toe was out by miles!! Get it setup.
3. Wheelspin, in a standardish clio? SRS? Learn to control the throttle better. Get some tuition.

A clio, when setup well, with a decent ish driver, will keep up with most things on a trackday. In fact, your clio used to, when i owned it ;)

LOL it sounds like you need to buy it back ;)

Yeah I know the tyres aren't the best - they'll be gone in a month or two for R888's - They were just cheap and came with the alloys.

I think the main issue is obviously me massively underestimating how much it c***s up the setup fitting coilovers - on the 106 you just dropped it and carried on driving. It's a learning curve :D

Still seems a bit pointless when the standard 172 Cup is probably still faster than what he has now.

Firstly - who the f**k is Mark?
Secondly - £2k or £1300?
Thirdly - standard cup faster? PMSL..

It's a LOT quicker than a standard 172 cup - as it's lost about 70kg and gained 10bhp. It's just struggling to get grip which with the loss of weight and my lack of understanding on geometry setups is not suprising.

If you think it's been a waste of money though I'll be happy to take you for a spin down the bypass seeing as you're local :p

Mine has standard Renaultsport suspension and handles brilliantly on track and road. It doesnt spin up the inside front wheel on track at all. I had been using Toyo T1-R's on the car but now have a set of R1-R's fitted. Brakes are Ferodo DS2500 on the front with Brembo High Carbon discs, and EBC Green rear pads on standard rear discs. For trackdays I put the rear strut brace in to stiffen the rear up a bit. I just go out and drive the wheels off it. Try a session with an instructor and you'll be surprised how much they can teach you. I did it at the Renaultsport day at Oulton Park last year. Well worth it.

Hrmm I've been looking at the R1R's - they look a good tyre
Same discs as I've got

I've got a day booked at Brands Hatch with an instructor in september - and I agree I'm a bit heavy footed. But wheel spinning at half throttle means I clearly need to get the suspension setup first lol

Evo 5 RS
full geometry setup on practically any coilover will make a massive difference. Get that done first, along with those dreadful tyres.. might find that's all you need

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Apologies Phil, I was reading another thread about a 172 Cup with a guy called Mark and got a bit mixed.

I keep off the bypass usually, it's the **** end of the A46 farrrrr too straight (also when I had my 206 GTi I got blown away by at D5 Volvo on there :eek:), best bit is towards the Brigg end where you turn off B1434.

Also £1300 isn't really that far off spending £2000.

It's a LOT quicker than a standard 172 cup - as it's lost about 70kg and gained 10bhp. It's just struggling to get grip which with the loss of weight and my lack of understanding on geometry setups is not suprising.

There's more to faster than straight line speed, I bet it's slower around a track than a stock 172 Cup. ;)

Last edited:
Nope

At rockingham I overtook every 172/182 on track - and the renaultsport demo clio 200 and megane a few times
I was quicker than a lad from here with a cup on R888's and a cage as well!

It just understeers and doesn't put all the power down. I completely ate a set of tyres due to the wheel spin

Don't get me wrong - it's quick, I just feel it's missing a lot more potential lol

Stripped yozza'd cup
Apologies Phil, I was reading another thread about a 172 Cup with a guy called Mark and got a bit mixed.

I keep off the bypass usually, it's the **** end of the A46 farrrrr too straight (also when I had my 206 GTi I got blown away by at D5 Volvo on there :eek:), best bit is towards the Brigg end where you turn off B1434.

Also £1300 isn't really that far off spending £2000.

There's more to faster than straight line speed, I bet it's slower around a track than a stock 172 Cup. ;)

You think it's slower than a standard cup.... What the hell are you basing that on?

Just pipe down, you have no idea what you're talking about. He needs a geometry setup, then it will be very good and far quicker than a standard cup.

Yeah mate

Dash is out next week - then painting - then cage
Early september I'll go get it setup and corner weighted - then end of Sept I'm at Brands Hatch for the renaultsport day. Gonna book myself in for some tuition there :)

Stripped yozza'd cup
Yeah mate

Dash is out next week - then painting - then cage
Early september I'll go get it setup and corner weighted - then end of Sept I'm at Brands Hatch for the renaultsport day. Gonna book myself in for some tuition there :)

I'll be at the RS day at brands too :)