ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

should i decat the 172?

thinking of getting a decat for my birthday and was wondering what you guys think...
Currently running on a ktec supersport recessed system so what will the sound be like?
Does it cause any problems with the car?
Also, does it affect the fuel consumption?

Thanks (on my phone so couldn't do a search for this).

Causes it to fail emissions test come MOT
Increases volume of exhaust
Fuel consumption should remain steady except for the fact you WILL use the right foot more.

Overall you should do it, decats are a great upgrade.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Definitely worth it, but only if you don't mind putting the cat back on every MOT time. Depending on how handy you are with the tools, this might involve paying someone else to do it.

I've got the same exhaust and de-cat combo. Sounds pretty decent but it's loud.

I literally had the MOT last week so that isn't an issue. I think aslong as it doesn't kane fuel then ill probly get one with my birthday money.
Not too bothered about the performance aspect of it as its already quick enough for me (coming from a 1.2 lol).
Does it not make the engine light come on or something? Ill probly go for the ktec one to complement the zaust ;-)

I literally had the MOT last week so that isn't an issue. I think aslong as it doesn't kane fuel then ill probly get one with my birthday money.
Not too bothered about the performance aspect of it as its already quick enough for me (coming from a 1.2 lol).
Does it not make the engine light come on or something? Ill probly go for the ktec one to complement the zaust ;-)

Fuel wise mine is pretty much the same as it was before consumption wise, yeah can put the emissions light on, it's abit hit and miss if it does or not, mine never came on but the serv and airbag lights do flash at me from time to time.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Fuel wise mine is pretty much the same as it was before consumption wise, yeah can put the emissions light on, it's abit hit and miss if it does or not, mine never came on but the serv and airbag lights do flash at me from time to time.

That's the airbag connections under the seats causing that.

That's the airbag connections under the seats causing that.

It's not lol. I know it's the usual culprit because it use to do it very rarely before I fitted the decat back on. Since the decat is back on they're constantly on and off.

My car does have some strange electrical quirks by the way.

Megane RS 250
I went for the decat on mine since the original was broken.
Honestly with the superstealth, that should be quieter thant your exhaust, it's too loud.
By now I have 182 manifold+short decat, but i'm waiting to receive the sports cat bought from here.

The decat it's good if you use the car on track, but on the road a sports cat is better:
More torque a medium-low rev.
More refined sound, less drone.
Engine more regular at idle
Same power
MOT
No gas smell around the car (or inside, when you are still in summer with the windows down)

I'd say the decat is good if you have cams and use it for track, but it's better if you source 182 manifold and buy the straight pipe for 172 exhaust.

Fabia vrs tdi
I'll have a decat for sale soon, almost mot time and fancy seeing if I get better mpg with cat on.

it's worth it I love the sound :)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Gardus said:
I went for the decat on mine since the original was broken.
Honestly with the superstealth, that should be quieter thant your exhaust, it's too loud.
By now I have 182 manifold+short decat, but i'm waiting to receive the sports cat bought from here.

The decat it's good if you use the car on track, but on the road a sports cat is better:
More torque a medium-low rev.
More refined sound, less drone.
Engine more regular at idle
Same power
MOT
No gas smell around the car (or inside, when you are still in summer with the windows down)

I'd say the decat is good if you have cams and use it for track, but it's better if you source 182 manifold and buy the straight pipe for 172 exhaust.

If you think it's loud now wait till you get the 182 manifold on with the sport cat.

I have same system as you and it's loud, plenty of pops and bangs along with rasp aswell.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I gained 5mph top end with my de-cat at a local spot, makes my system so much louder though but I love it ;) I also have a Ktec Supersports, its very schlag!

Megane RS 250
J what are you saying, it's louder with the sports cat than with the decat?! I don't think so!

Maybe you got it wrong, i've already the 182 manifold on, with the short decat and the superstealth, i'm going to replace the decat with the sports cat! It's should be quieter...
Anyway the superstealth is the quieter k-tec system.

Has anyone had any problems with their decats?

Before I get one, I want to make sure that its not going to mess up the running of the engine etc (make it run lumpy or something)/.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
J what are you saying, it's louder with the sports cat than with the decat?! I don't think so!

Maybe you got it wrong, i've already the 182 manifold on, with the short decat and the superstealth, i'm going to replace the decat with the sports cat! It's should be quieter...
Anyway the superstealth is the quieter k-tec system.

Ah No I had misunderstood you I think.

I meant that the car is loud going from the 172 manifold - 182 + Sports cat... Well mine is anyway, Pops, Rasps and Bangs a goodun on over run, and is continually setting off the neighbours R8's alarm every time I pull in or out of my drive :eek:

Ph 1 172
With your system it will be crazy loud when flooring it but anywhere between 2.5k rpm and 3k rpm mine ain't that loud! I don't think the decat make any noticable difference on it's own but noise no performance increase, would defo b worth doing if you get a remap as well

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Decat usually means drone at some speed..

Took mine straight off and fitted a sport cat.

I like loud exhausts. HATE drone though.... was unbearable. Car feels no different performance wise with the Ktec sport cat but is soooo much better to drive on motorway.

big boost cup
i have got the set up you want minus the interior at the back and its quite loud but sounds nice. lots of popping and banging well worth de catting it