ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I get another clio 197?? Running costs!!

Hi Guys

I was on here a year or so ago now. I used to have a RB 197 but changed it for a diesel due to work commitments. Now I still have the same work commitments but im bored of driving around in my diesel Astra and am seriously concidering getting back into a 197!!

My job involves alot of driving, mainly motorway. Im doing 500 miles per week.

What are your experiences of average MPG on motorway runs etc and do you think its a good idea to get another??

Please come up with some great reasons for me to do this!!!

Cheers

Tom

Re: SHOULD I GET ANOTHER CLIO 197?? RUNNING COSTS!!

If you had one surely you know what mpg you were getting ?

to be honest
Get a cheap track car, if you want fun
Keep reall driving for the track.
Its cheaper, (if you dont go nuts) more fun and a Lot Safer!!!

If you had one surely you know what mpg you were getting ?

I cant actually remember!! Mine was a '56' plate, pre gearbox change, did the change make much of a difference in economy??

I loved driving it, and would love another I just wanted to find out what people were averaging!!

PH1 172

^^ new box makes naff all difference TBH - about 2mph i think for same revs!

drove new and old box and they reved hard.

doing that sorta miles i wud stray away and get a 172 for track/weekend and keep the derv.

currently doing a fair few motorway trips and getting about 23mpg average....completely standard performance wise

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.

197s are getting 23mpg on the motorway!!!???!?!?!?!??! i drove to 600 miles the other day and my 172 is getting 42mpg! its come down to 37mpg since i've been on the normal roads but even so, its better than 23!

anyways my mate has the ford focus 1.8 TDCI he bought it brand new and paid whayyyy to much for it thinking he would save the £££ on the fuel cost. Hes getting.... wait for it..... 38mpg!!!!

I laugh every time i go to fill up with him in my 2 litre petrol :)

clio trophy No56

Trophy! Round the doors i get approx 31mpg. Combined approx 38mph. And purely on the motorway between, 49 and 51mpg.

Turbo LY R27

^^^^23mpg on the motorway? Were you cruising at 90+ or something?:eek:

My R27 is the old box, i fill up on the v-power and i get about 380miles on the motorway, cruise control at 70 mph. Best i have ever had is 410 out of a tank.

Dunno what the mpg figure is.

Dont see why people complain about the 197 economy. I get the same miles out of a full tank if not more than my old 182 used to, if you drive at a normally then its the same as any other car imo. My car has got better with miles tho, its on 27k now.
I still get good range even when i go out and rape it, id say do it, but just dont expect it to be as cheap as you oil burner.

if you want mpg + fun then you need a 172/182

i average 38mpg over a tank in my 172, on average 20mins motorway and 10mins hard driving. a 70mph cruise will easily see over 40mpg

cant see a 197 matching that tbh

Focus ST

500 mile a week will seriously depreciate the car aswell

Titanium 182
Should have just kept your old one tbh, in swapping cars then swapping back your going to have lost more money that just running that 197 the entire time.

I'd stick with the diesel and get a weekend toy.

Trophy #490
1*2's are a great balance between performance and economy. I average around 30-35mpg and it gets booted just about everytime i'm out in it. If I had a 197 and drove the same way I doubt i'd see 25mpg from the sounds of it! :eek:

Why are 197's that poor on fuel economy though? I mean I know they are overweight, but still.....;)

Renaultsport 200

^^ new box makes naff all difference TBH - about 2mph i think for same revs!

drove new and old box and they reved hard.

doing that sorta miles i wud stray away and get a 172 for track/weekend and keep the derv.

currently doing a fair few motorway trips and getting about 23mpg average....completely standard performance wise

Bollox!! - If your doing motorway miles there is noway your getting 23mpg. If you are its broken mate. I went on a 500mile round trip over the holidays and averaged 29.8 mpg in my R27 and that was at 90mph most of the way with 2 passengers.

Are you driving in 3rd?!?

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.

Bollox!! - If your doing motorway miles there is noway your getting 23mpg. If you are its broken mate. I went on a 500mile round trip over the holidays and averaged 29.8 mpg in my R27 and that was at 90mph most of the way with 2 passengers.

hahahahaha agreed :) its bust

Golf 7R

+1

s1 williams/106gti
did you see the evo issue with the rs megane run on lpg ???
better mpg than any diesel they tested and no loss of power
...........worth a look

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Balls this imo. Ive owned a 172 (3yrs) and a 182 before my 197. Imo it costs about a tenner a week more on petrol. Hardly going to ruin you is it?!

Its come down to Clio 182, 197, Focus ST or Golf GTI, which one would you lot go for (without being biased)?!?

Ive heard the Golf is quite good on fuel, however, more expensive to buy.

Im edging towards another 197 or Focus ST!!

The idea of a weekend car would be great, but I cant really afford to run 2 cars at the mo, what with 2 lots of insurance, tax, Mot's etc!! Plus, I couldnt really justify it. It would get used often enough

thoughts???

White clique

mikeclio182 - You may have got the same amount of miles, but the tank in a 197 is 10% bigger, 55litres, the 182s have a 50 litre tank, so its 10% less efficient.

I get 29mpg combined, so motorway driving should be mid 30's if you drive in the right gear.

All I can say to the OP is, you sold the 197 for a reason, if that was down to economy, then its not the car for you. A 182 will give better economy. The premium on a golf GTI (dependent on age) will take too long to recoup. Focus STs are nice - but only you can answer which you prefer, you havent told us what you want out of a car other than good fuel economy.

mikeclio182 - You may have got the same amount of miles, but the tank in a 197 is 10% bigger, 55litres, the 182s have a 50 litre tank, so its 10% less efficient.

I get 29mpg combined, so motorway driving should be mid 30's if you drive in the right gear.

All I can say to the OP is, you sold the 197 for a reason, if that was down to economy, then its not the car for you. A 182 will give better economy. The premium on a golf GTI (dependent on age) will take too long to recoup. Focus STs are nice - but only you can answer which you prefer, you havent told us what you want out of a car other than good fuel economy.

Sorry if I didnt!!! Ok well, the main things I want are something fun to drive, as I spend so long in the car. A car that I have the urge to look after, clean, pollish etc. Something I can really enjoy, rather than just something that returns decent mpg. For example, I would rather get 25mpg from a car I love and enjoy every minute with and love the engine note rather than a car I get 40mpg from but feels boring (my astra CDTI SRI)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

197s are getting 23mpg on the motorway!!!???!?!?!?!??! i drove to 600 miles the other day and my 172 is getting 42mpg! its come down to 37mpg since i've been on the normal roads but even so, its better than 23!

anyways my mate has the ford focus 1.8 TDCI he bought it brand new and paid whayyyy to much for it thinking he would save the £££ on the fuel cost. Hes getting.... wait for it..... 38mpg!!!!

I laugh every time i go to fill up with him in my 2 litre petrol :)

There is something wrong with his car then,either that or he thrashes it everywhere

Fuel Cost pence/Litre 95.8
Total Spend pounds 50
Distance miles 550

Your real-world MPG average is 47.91, covering 550 miles using 11.48 gallons of fuel

White clique
have you driven an ST? Does it excite you more than the 197? If so then buy the ST. You sold a 197 previously for a reason, maybe its time for a change. Follow your gut instinct.

BMW M3
I'd get the Golf Gti every time. Far better built car, better mpg, and great to drive. It won't be as fun as a 197 and won't handle as good but it is just a better all round package.

Focus ST's; I used to like these but they are as as cheap as fook (build wise) and are depreciating like mad. Great I guess if you intend to buy one on the and keep it for 3 years mind when hopefully the prices have slowed down.