ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I get this car or .......

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by GPRIM on 15 July 2003

i would only buy it if they were to throw in the warranty for free, especially if you are trading in your 172 that has some warrenty left. if it is unregistered surely it should still have the three years warranty left. after all a tv sat in an electrical store still has its 12 months when you buy it even if it has been there for years and years
Mine still has 18 months warranty left on it.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Who cares? Go with your heart GR. This isnt the first time youve posted about a V6, you know you want one, and this is probably your best chance to get hold of a new Supercar for £20k.

JFDI.

GR7

Shiny red R32

I have just found this on the Internet so it looks like I will go ahead and buy the car as it looks as though it is covered for two years. I dont see why I should have to pay for any more. this might be useful for others on here.

How Warranties Work

Under EU legislation, all cars are supplied with a manufacturers 2-year warranty. This is a pan-European warranty, which means that all the manufacturers franchised dealers throughout the UK and the rest of the EU are obliged to honour it. Some Japanese cars actually come with a 3-year warranty.

But my local dealer offers 3 year warranties

If you buy a car from your local dealer, it will usually come with a 3 year warranty. The dealer achieves this by taking the manufacturers 2-year warranty and adding on what is known as a bolt-on 1-year warranty. This extra year is usually not as comprehensive, and is often provided by a bespoke insurance company - not the dealer or manufacturer concerned, but rather like the extra insurance you can get on an electrical item.

If you choose an imported new car and it only comes with the 2 years warranty, you can usually choose to pay a little extra to get the extra years cover. UK sourced cars will usually already have the 3 year warranty.

It is often a deep concern for potential buyers of imports that they will encounter difficulties at their local dealer. Thankfully this is seldom the case, and we know of no instances in recent years. If you do happen to be unfortunate enough to encounter any difficulty, then a quick reminder to the dealer of his obligation under EU law should suffice. Also, any manufacturer would be very displeased to learn that any franchised dealer was not providing a courteous and comprehensive service for someone who is basically the manufacturers present, and hopefully future, customer.

:D

its a beautiful car - theres no taking away from that!!!!

Its just whether you feel rushed into it or not? If you do..........then try and buy some time with the sales guy. However if you dont feel rushed and think you are making a sensible decision - buy it!!!!!!!!!

It looks soooo good as well.

martin

GR - the warranty started when it was first registered abroad. The additional period of warranty applies to cars originally sourced in Europe (ie if it was first supplied in Cyprus for example, it would only have a one year warranty from the date it was suppleid there )

ak16V and S-Dee - there are no Mk 2 V6s at any Dealership in the UK

GR7

Shiny red R32

Jeremy I wished that you might have come on here sooner for some advice straight from the horsess mouth - so to speak -

Please tell me your pros and cons about whether or not you think I should buy it. It has never been registered here and it came from Belgium.

Apparently the garage (not Renault) bought three of them and possibly thought people might want them desperately as they were in fairly limited supply but now the Mk2 is heading for the show rooms, people are obviously preferring to wait and the garage still has this one, but Iam not sure exactly how long it has been sitting there, obviously quite a while.

When cars sit for several months, what happens to things like oil which is going nowhere? I am open to advice from anyone like yourself.

Thanks Jeremy.

GR you know my opinion, its a great car, but there is a greater one on the way. The price is excellent, but seriously think about this, the new vee is only round the corner now!! As for what dash said about a mk3 vee i think his wrong, as far as i know, Jeremy you maybe able to help here, the new hot hatch is going to be the Megane (3.0l v6 24v).

GR7

Shiny red R32

Thanks Steve for your views, and I realise that the new V6 will be faster etc but as I am not a boy racer (not even a girl racer - despite the nickname given to me by the guys at my local garage!!) the speedy acceleration to sixty isnt too relevant to me as I am not in the habit of track days etc - but occasionally when I get a certian look from young lads at lights, I zoom away from them as I know what they are thinking!!

I suppose that when the new V6 hits the show rooms the Mk1 might lose a lot of money and there might be quite a few for sale, but I have to say that although I havent seen a Mk2 in the flesh, I really love the Mk1 but I will wait for Jeremy to come back before acting hastily, or anyone else who might have anything to add.

This is where forums like this are a great thing as it is good to discuss with other like-minded car owners the pros and cons of buying and selling cars and other relevant car related things.

Steve I see you have a Scenic. Personally I am not a fan of cars like that, but yesterday I saw a brand new Scenic, at least I think that is what it was, unless there is a smaller new Espace, and I have to say that in a very dark silver it looked really lovely, very very modern and makes others in that class look so DATED. Had it been parked I would have had a good look at it but it drove past where I was standing, so I saw it at about 30mph.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

GR, I know that whenever I see the MK1 V6 I have to catch my breath as it is stunning, I do prefer the MK2 but as you would pay £7000 less for that one then it seems a real bargain if you have the money. It should not matter how fast you drive or how many miles you put on it, all that matters is that you love it and look after the car as you have done with your 172.

I believe the V6 will be the true replacement to the Williams something that the 172 didnt manage.

Everyone has one car that they wished they had bought when they had the opportunity but didnt, is this that car?

*Will he let you test drive it*

Girlracer you shouldnt pay extra, its not like theyre in demand, do you know how long the cars been there?

To make you feel better i picked up my centre caps with no problems! A pleasant suprise is that my dealership is now open for an extra half hour.

-Rob

GirlRacer - why dont you take it for a wee drive and then make up your mind? From my viewpoint, it still looks a lovely wee beastie and Im sure youd get lots of pleasure from it - its the kind of car you buy with your heart anyway, so try not to over analyse the whys and wherefores - if you like it, and are sure youll keep on liking it, then go for it!

And if you do, please please bring it along to one of our ClioSport meetings! :)

GR, bought the scenic with my head, not my heart, its for moving the baby about in when it arrives!

Wasnt a major fan of it myself, and the misses is still kicking me for making her get rid of her 172 but, unfortunately you cant have it all in life.

Having said that its well specd, got all the toys, and was an excellent price, just wish we had bought a bigger engine, 1.6 is alright around town but a bit dead on the motorway!

But you on the other hand are looking to buy with your heart, no other reason for having a vee other than you love it!!:D

GR - Id like to be sure where it originally came from and when, how old is it actually ? If its fairly recent, and was originally supplied in Europe and therefore has most of its warranty left then there shouldnt be a problem. As for the price, its a lot less than the V6 255 will cost !

7.6cc :D

Sylvia.

Dont worry about it not being a mr2, as I dont think you will loose *that* much money on this car, perhaps in 2 years you could sell it for £14k or £15k and buy a mr2 when they are cheaper?

and as you say, you like the looks of the mr1 anyway, so you get to enjoy them for a few years.

I hope they have offered you a bloody good price on your 172, its the best colour plus you have sexy wheels and done hardly any miles, dont let them rip you off in that respect.

Sylvia - have you driven a Mk1 V6? I drove one recently, in torrential rain alas, and loved it! Even in such poor conditions, it felt much better than my 172 and that engine note is hugely addictive, as is the kick in the back from all that torque.

Sure, theyre no quicker on a track, but as Dash says, on the road theyll see off most things!

Why not consider a cheaper one, and respray it black? Theres ones on Autotrader for £15-17k with 2-4k miles on them. Add £2k for a proper respray.

project 254 is also in the process of costing a Mk1 to Mk2 rear suspension conversion.

Mk2 V6 Clio for £18,995? I dont think so
I do think so, tear drop head lights, yes...... been driving past it for the last week almost every day......though like I said I didnt see it there yesterday.....but who cares right:cry:

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 16 July 2003

GR - the warranty started when it was first registered abroad. The additional period of warranty applies to cars originally sourced in Europe (ie if it was first supplied in Cyprus for example, it would only have a one year warranty from the date it was suppleid there )

ak16V and S-Dee - there are no Mk 2 V6s at any Dealership in the UK

It wasnt brand new, it was in the used car section, Im telling you it was there because I see It with my own bloody eyes ILFORD RENAULT DEALER!!!!! £18995!!! it was a blue colour, now I sup:cry:pose you cant buy them in blue either

GR7

Shiny red R32

ak16

Did you see what Jeremy said earlier that there arent any Mk2 V6 Clios in any show rooms yet? He should know as he is the Product manager (?) at Renault.

It is more than likely that Mk2 was a misprint, or there purposely, possibly to atract attention!

Have you seen the V6 vs 911 review in Autocar this week?

Amusing that theyre obviously using one of the two French demo V6s, yet theyve chosen to put an English nos plate on it on the front cover!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 16 July 2003

JJ172 - yes and flip the picture to make it look right hand drive

ak16V - sorry but you must be mistaken, there are no V6 255s at Dealers
Jeremy

He doesnt believe you!! It was possibly a misprint or done on purpose to attract buyers!!

Have you any more questions I should ask the dealer when I phone him soon please Jeremy?

Ad

MK2 FRS

GirlRacer this is torture and I dont know you really. I keep logging in to see whether you made a decision. I always think throught things and then end up going with my heart not my head.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Ooooh the suspense of it all!

I have to say that I have just had a telephone conversation with one of the ClioSport members!!!!!!

Clue - he has a cool name!

LOL, I saw it parked on the forcourt with the price tag on it, jeremy phone Ilford reno dealer Im sure they could could confirm this, 100% sure it was a V6, what other clio would cost £18995.....

Though youve put doubt in my mind if it was a mk2 but im pretty sure it was as it was a lot moer curvasious then the mk1....

OK its registered 29/05/2002

VIN VF1C61A0626682

When were mk2 first registered?

Ok then my be that blue colour made it look more curvy then it was LOL....

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Anyway theres another one in Watford Mk1:)oops:) Grey colour with 8k on the clock also for £18995, but Jeremy knows that;)

I was blinded by the blue:oops:, though I must say that is a mint colour if any...

My apologies to everyone for my false info...especialy to girlracer:oops:

Quote: Originally posted by White16valver on 15 July 2003

Im sure that someone (probably BenR!) will work out a way to change the Mk1 suspension to Mk2 settings, so then you can have the looks you want from the Mk1 with the slightly less wayward handling of the Mk2!

(Not that Id know of course - merely going on what his Highness J Clarkson has said ;))
I can do all the changes to make the MK1 to the MK2 mechanical spec.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by ak16v on 16 July 2003

I was blinded by the blue:oops:, though I must say that is a mint colour if any...

My apologies to everyone for my false info...especialy to girlracer:oops:
Thats OK apologies accepted. I would have hated to have paid £1,000 more for a Mk1 than your Mk2!!!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by ak16v on 16 July 2003

Ok then my be that blue colour made it look more curvy then it was LOL....

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Anyway theres another one in Watford Mk1:)oops:) Grey colour with 8k on the clock also for £18995, but Jeremy knows that;)

Phew! Thats lucky for me finding a brand new one for only £1,000 more than the one with 8,000 miles on the clock!!