ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I put original 172 Cup springs back on?

ClioSport 172 Cup
Fitted some progressive springs on my 172 Cup about a year ago. Its getting to the point now where my back is slowly giving in. The car seems to be really harsh when travelling over any dips in the road(especially sudden declines), it will just drop like a ton of bricks. Also if I`m not careful going over speed humps, (the red square ones are the worst) it rips at my exhaust and is very rough. The car handles beautifully in the corners being lowered 40mm but the worst bit is just when I drop down dips in the road, the car just slams into them and there is no give at all! I`ve never really compared though the difference in handling between the original springs and these progressive springs(I`m still running on original shocks by the way and I have the Kam racing solid top mounts fitted). Should I put my original springs back on, or will it handle rubbish? Maybe it was a bad idea putting the progressives on?, maybe they make no difference at all over the standard springs? Apart from giving me a sore butt!! I dream of getting some Gaz coilovers, but they are a long way off yet! haha

Sam :approve:

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
The car wont 'Handle Rubbish' with Stock Springs back in, It will handle as Renault intended and the 172 cups handling is far from 'Rubbish' ;)

If you need a bit of comfort back then pop the stock springs back in, the ride will still be pretty firm though, as it was never exactly 'soft' from factory.

As for Dreaming of owning som GAZ Coilovers, I have no personal experiance of them but from the vast majority of people who post on here I suspect your dream will be more of a nightmare ;)

ClioSport 172 Cup
I assumed that good aftermarket shock and spring packages would offer comfort as well as better handling, i.e be an improvement over stock.

Ph2 172
THe way I'd look at it is Renault have to compromise between comfort and handling. Coilover and after Market spring tend to be aimed and fast road/ track use. They are better....if you want performance. If you want comfort and handling I'd go back to stock

ClioSport 172 Cup
Ok. Well with progressives on the car feels like it has blocks of wood between the wheels and chassis. It makes some horrible clunking sounds from the back when it drops down. The whole car sounds like a horse and cart clonking around if it hits any bad parts of road. I still want my car to handle really well but be able to come away without my skeleton shattered. :)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Ok. Well with progressives on the car feels like it has blocks of wood between the wheels and chassis. It makes some horrible clunking sounds from the back when it drops down. The whole car sounds like a horse and cart clonking around if it hits any bad parts of road. I still want my car to handle really well but be able to come away without my skeleton shattered. :)

Then Standard Shocks and Springs are the way to go IMO for comfort and handling, Spend the extra you wanted to spend on 'After Market' Springs etc on a rear ARB that will give you the improved handling you are looking for.

none of the clios have a rear arb as standard do they?

Erm... yes!

It goes through the centre of the torsion beam... which itself is a form of anti-roll bar.

Sammy - it sounds like something is wrong if your car sounds so clonky. Are the springs damaged? can you bounce the rear up and down with your bodyweight - it should move a bit but nice and smooth.

ClioSport 172 Cup
Yes I was sure the 172 Cup has a rear anti roll bar, I recall seeing it when fitting the rear progressive springs.

ClioSport 172 Cup
Hi Jengis, I will find out I guess when I come to take the springs off. The car bounces like a b**ch and drops like a ton of bricks into any pot hole or sunken drains. Feel like I`m riding a bull sometimes.