ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I use high octae fuel

Clio Sport 172, CBR 600
Hello All, I feel this is a foolish question, but anyway:
Is it worth using High Octane Fuels (i.e. BP Ultimate) in a Clio 172? I understand it can help clean the engine clean, and is potentially more environmentally friendly, but does it make the car perform faster? Or do I need a Fezzer for that?
Many thanks,
p

Megane R26, R21 Turbo
i only put v power once in while for a clean i used to run mine on super but now its 95 depending on wether i see super at a decent price.... unlikely

RENAULT CLIO SPORT 182
i use v power all the time its £1.19p a litre the same as normal unleaded at my local tesco"s

E87 118d M Sport
so there is no downside to going from different types of petrol, say 95 one week, 99 the next, 97 the next???

the sainsburys next to work has super unleaded for 1p per litre more than regular. so only 40odd pence extra per tank.

You're not going to do any harm by using standard 95, but I think quite a few people find Renaultsport Clios run a bit smoother on super.

Megane R26, R21 Turbo
so there is no downside to going from different types of petrol, say 95 one week, 99 the next, 97 the next???

the sainsburys next to work has super unleaded for 1p per litre more than regular. so only 40odd pence extra per tank.

nope not at all its already been covered in a diffeent topic, only differences noticeable if you have a turbo charger slightly anyway.

p.s you dont need a months worth of vpower to clean it vpower isnt good for the engine to use all the time i could go into a big debate but i wont i have good reasons not to use vpower the fact it can be expensive has nothing to do with it either ;-), there are big differences between 95, 99 ect where i live unfortunatly :-(

Renault Clio 172 16v
To be honest mate, I tried a few different types of fuel, i.e. tesco, asda, sainsburys etc... and I find that my 172FF runs much better on shell v-power.

The thing I noticed with v-power is that I get more mpg out of my car, plus my car runs smoother on this compared to the other petrol stations due to the higher octane.

Like someone mentions above, shell v-power isn't that much different in price compared to the other super market fuels at the moment.

Hope this helps

Clio 172 mk2
Doesn't make that much difference, onkly worth running high octane fuels on turbo cars which are imports or highly tuned turbocharged motors

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Only ever Optimax/V-power for mine.

Idles like a bag of nails on 95 RON and refuses to drag itself along in-gear in traffic on tickover.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it takes a good tankful or so for the ECU to work out how best to use a new fuel? If that's the case continually chopping and changing means it never gets used to any one diet.

172 A Cupwork Orange™
Only ever Optimax/V-power for mine.

Idles like a bag of nails on 95 RON and refuses to drag itself along in-gear in traffic on tickover.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it takes a good tankful or so for the ECU to work out how best to use a new fuel? If that's the case continually chopping and changing means it never gets used to any one diet.

+1
Agreed Mine is exactly the same if i put 95ron near it it spits the dummy out , dont like it at all, then again i am running a groupe_n remap and 98ron cal so could have something to do with that, but even before this the car idled loads better on vpower

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Should I use high octane fuel

112RON Sunoco race fuel only for mine. Managed to nudge 196.45bhp on the dyno.*

(*= above comments may not exactly be true and may even be interpretted as total and utter bulls**t.) ;)

BMW F21 125d
Sainsburys Super is only 97 Ron, but i've always run my 172 on it. Idling nots great on any 172, I had a tank of Tesco Super (which i think is 99) and it wasnt much better! Sainsburys is by the far the cheapest Super round here at 120.9p

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Sainsburys Super is only 97 Ron, but i've always run my 172 on it. Idling nots great on any 172, I had a tank of Tesco Super (which i think is 99) and it wasnt much better! Sainsburys is by the far the cheapest Super round here at 120.9p

Ive just changed to a Mini Cooper S ( Yes I know people on here generally dislike them ) however-
Im running close on 260 HP - the tuner I use ALWAYS recommennds either V-Power or Tesco 99-
However it depends how your driving it ( This is irrepective of MPG differences)
If you cruise along all day in the safe power bands of the car, & its not revving close to the maximum or rev limiter then your fine on 95-
If, though your often dropping down gears pushing the car to the red line, or around the 6/7k mark then you need a higher grade of fuel to ensure the mixture is good & you not damaging the engine...

S

A couple of occasions i ran mine on 95ron - but only because there was a fuel shortage.

Other then that i use Tesco's finest.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
i havent got a choice (scoobsti) but i find shell runs better and i get more mpg.

but im sure i read somewhere they are very very similar petrol anyway.

Black Ph2 172
I put a similar post to this about a month back. Since using V-Power my car runs much smoother but much more importantly i get around 3mpg better round town and 5mpg on the motorway - well worth the extra imo!

Trophy 265/500
Johnnies 97 or Tesco 99. Actually cheaper to use too, better mpg means it actually costs less. Ignore all this tat about only turbo engines benefiting. Any car with an adaptive ecu and any degree of tune will see some benefit. Forget anything out of a 1.6 Focus, but any Renaultsport will see better response and mpg.

RB Clio 182
only the v power for me, good stuff! it doesn't really make a huge difference but it is noticable the car can be a bit more reactive with the higher octane fuels and your meant to get better mpg

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Mines only ever been run on V-Power/Optimax in the 3 years i've had it, apart from the odd tank of 95Ron up in deepest Scotland where its harder to find.

I'd say its one of the main reasons why the engine in mine is so sweet.

182 has now gone!
I was using Tesco 99 but mpg was quite poor, with V-power I get an extra 2/3mpg and it runs alot smoother.

I always used to use Tesco 99 as well. Have been using V power and find it lasts longer and getting more MPG out of it..

Lots of Alfas
I cant tell any difference with acceleration, mpg or idling. Even after using a couple of tanks of v-power after a long stint on 95ron.