ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shouldve got a CTR

Yaris Hybrid

Waited since mid June for my 182. Was getting it this afternoon. Just had a call saying that when they went to load it on the transporter to deliver it to me the engine management light came on!

Gonna be delivering a hire car to me now. They cant tell me when I will get the 182.

Breaking down before it has been delivered is not a good start and somehow I suspect this is a sign of things to come....

:mad:

320d M Sport

sad but true mate.

imo thats the thorn in the 172/182 side, reliability just isnt good enough.

i wouldnt have another...

Yep, unfortunately the dealers really let the side down, I could cope with the problems if the dealers were half decent and repaired them properly.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

It happens! When I picked up my CTR and went to fill it up the fuel filler cap wouldnt come off!

I cant imagine it will take too long to sort. The 182 will be bags more fun than the CTR even if its not as reliable.

Yaris Hybrid

Tell you one thing, when they do deliver it if I find so much as a pin prick on the paint or a blade of grass on the carpet I will reject it. I will go over it with a magnifying glass.

My worry is that after a few days a light will come on again. Then what? Wait 2 week before a Renault dealer can fix it!?!?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Yeah well the paint it better on Renaults than on CTRs. After 6 months with the CTR I had more stone chips in the bonnet than I did after 2 years with the 172.

hey Im trying to look on the bright side! :D

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 30 September 2004

Tell you one thing, when they do deliver it if I find so much as a pin prick on the paint or a blade of grass on the carpet I will reject it. I will go over it with a magnifying glass.

My worry is that after a few days a light will come on again. Then what? Wait 2 week before a Renault dealer can fix it!?!?
Stop worrying - youre getting all stressy mate. Engine Management light after a trip on a transporter is common. Anything that tips the car up at a weird angle can cause this - mine was on after a recent choppy crossing on the Seacat. Goes away once everythings settled down. Cant imagine why the dealer worried you over this though :confused:

Yaris Hybrid

Hmmm

Now I had two 1.2 16vs that never had a single defect. A mate of mine has an Extreme and in two years it has been back and forth to the dealers a good half dozen times.

Guess where his car is now? Yup you guessed it.

I am getting stressy because there seems to be a trend that a car either has nothing go wrong with it in the first 3 years or it constantly has warning lights and electronic failures...

They have been playing with my mates for ages and replaced all sorts of electrical parts yet it still keeps going wrong. There is obviously something wrong with his car that keeps causing all these failures because there are far too many things going wrong with it to simply be bad luck. I am worried that my car will follow that trend.

Either that or the Cars not available and theyre fobbing you off with lie about the Engine Management Light, so they can get some time.

I am so glad I didnt bother waiting for a 182 now, sounds like Renault are having a shocker.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

ECU light is kinda in the middle of the dash, it comes on if the ECU detects a problem/incosistency in its readings/sensors

i have a 182 never had any troubles with it i am now selling it though because of child on the way its only 3 months old .... my other half is selling is CTR too if your interested

The car is fun and enjoyable if the car breaks down just send it back to renault its not good enough

dk

911 GTS Cab

it amazes me the number of people that are surprised when their renault is faulty after being on this forum and reading about it every day.

If you have been reading the forum though, which you have you will also know that all of this is outweighed by the fun you are going to have with it.

It is all worth it in the end and the im off to buy a CTR line is getting a bit tiresome now, you chose the car in the first place so it was obviously your first choice, just stick with it, these things happen to all manufacturers, you only hear about the clio ones becuause you are on here!

Thats my piece anyway.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Its how Renault keep you entertained. You drive along on the edge of your seat thinking "whatll go wrong next"

Paddy, it aint just 172/182s mate trust me!

Not only do they go wrong a lot they are a fcuker to fix.

Good fun, if can afford it then fine but if your tight for cash and have to have it day in day out get a Honda.

Yaris Hybrid

No idea phunkey, they just said early next week. So thats another holiday day im gonna have to use up!

I now have a citrus dci on my drive!!! Not sure what model it is exactly but it has big alloys, digital climate control and these weird digital fuel and temp guages. Obviously a diesel but I dunno which diesel engine. Very impressive though, quicker than any of the petrol models I have driven and very responsive. Its doing 61 mpg as well and being a courtesy car I doubt its been driven for economy! Mind you I have been driving a 15 year old 950cc 205 for the last 3 months so the dci would seem like the dogs bollox.

I hear what your saying dave182, I didnt expect it to be reliable but to break down before its been delivered must surely be a record!!!!!!!!

bear with it! same thing happened to neighbors merc sl55 amg it wouldnt start up on the transporter they took it back and the ecu thought it had been in a crash and cut everything off. probably due to angle and bumps or something.

13k of being caned 90% of the time for mine and bar the dealer breaking it twice mine is trouble free!

Just be lucky what happened to the MX5 I saw a couple of years back didnt happen to your 182 on the transporter. The car came loose, from the top deck of a transporter, while motoring up the M6... Imagine having to tell the expectant owner that their cars been written off in transit.

Ive never heard of the ECU doing that before on the back of a transporter (although I can believe what others are saying), but give the car a chance. If something does go wrong again soon after you eventually get it, reject it then.

Might as well enjoy, i.e. thrash, the courtesy car in the meantime :)

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I think you are over reacting in my opinion.I know what a downer it is not getting your car on time,been there and done that and its frustrating but take heart from the fact they refuse to hand over the car until its checked out and sorted,you would be more pissed off if it happened the next day or in the first few weeks.

As has been said many times,you only tend to read about problems on forums,we dont come here and post "Today my car had no problems"

Relax a bit mate in the knowledge you are due to get probably the best all round hatch on the market, speaking as an owner you will not be dissapointed.Ive had other makes and had worse problems.Its a "Car" thing and not a "Renault" thing.

Chin up and look forward to it :)

I had airbag warning light on when I picked my Clio Cup up 2 years ago. Thought "ere we go" after hearing all the stories. It went off by the time we got home and never blinked since. I would give it the benefit of the doubt first off.

Yaris Hybrid

I believe the light came on when they started the car up this morning. They were going to deliver to my house on a small transporter (the sort breakdown companies use) and the light came on before they even tilted it up on to the trailer. Guess its been sat in a compound for a week so the problem was not caused by tilting etc.

Renault Laguna Coupe

My cars being delivered to the dealer next week. They told me from the outset that theyd want at least 3 days to make sure everythings fine with the car. Theyre obviously concious that there may be a few niggles that need sorting out. Im giving them a week, should be long enough, fingers crossed!

Hope yours turns out ok anyway.

Yaris Hybrid

My old man just pointed out that they have had the bleedin thing for a week and only now discover its busted!!!

Its only the fear that this could be a sign of things to come that bothers me. I am not too worried about not having the car today as I think I could happily live with this dci for quite a while. If the 182 pulls that well from low revs I will be in for a treat! The little bugger appears to torque steer as well!!

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

im lucky im only getting mine as a car to muck around in, so reliabilty shouldnt be to much of a issue. getting a td for work use :D

My old man just pointed out that they have had the bleedin thing for a week and only now discover its busted!!!
Its only the fear that this could be a sign of things to come that bothers me. I am not too worried about not having the car today as I think I could happily live with this dci for quite a while. If the 182 pulls that well from low revs I will be in for a treat! The little bugger appears to torque steer as well!!

torque steer? you aint seen Nothing yet my freind :0)))

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 30 September 2004

Yep, unfortunately the dealers really let the side down, I could cope with the problems if the dealers were half decent and repaired them properly.
what he said, dealers really let the car down, simple jobs turn into a nightmare situation.

Waited since mid June for my 182. Was getting it this afternoon. Just had a call saying that when they went to load it on the transporter to deliver it to me the engine management light came on!

Gonna be delivering a hire car to me now. They cant tell me when I will get the 182.

Breaking down before it has been delivered is not a good start and somehow I suspect this is a sign of things to come....

:mad:
Sure its not the emissions light? Mine came on when delivered. Told it was OK to drive & should go off after 20 or so miles - went off after 30 something.

Never been on since.

As for the CTR - I nearly bought one when they came out. Ive had a few performance Hondas in the past and always been a big fan, but the civic left me cold. I dont think you can compare them on handling, the cupd clio seems much more resolved IMO.

I now have a citrus dci on my drive!!! Not sure what model it is exactly but it has big alloys, digital climate control and these weird digital fuel and temp guages. Obviously a diesel but I dunno which diesel engine. Very impressive though, quicker than any of the petrol models I have driven and very responsive. Its doing 61 mpg as well and being a courtesy car I doubt its been driven for economy!
No car is error free my parents have had a Merc a and E class (both from almsot new) and there were both problems.

Get the dci instead you know you want to imagine how mcuh £ youll save.

Easy to find out what hp it is if it has the dci lets in silver its a 65hp one if it has a red i then its a 80 if it has a two letter coloured red its a 100dci.

Yaris Hybrid

Drove the old 205 into work today as I had to give it back to my boss.

Will look on the side strip of the dci when I get home. Tell you what, if it turns out to only be a 65 then I am definitely rejecting the 182 and getting a dci 100!!!

Dunno how much these dcis cost in relation to the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 petrol models but if they are anywhere near the same price I dunno why anyone would bother with the petrols.

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 01 October 2004

Drove the old 205 into work today as I had to give it back to my boss.

Will look on the side strip of the dci when I get home. Tell you what, if it turns out to only be a 65 then I am definitely rejecting the 182 and getting a dci 100!!!

Dunno how much these dcis cost in relation to the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 petrol models but if they are anywhere near the same price I dunno why anyone would bother with the petrols.

hahahahaah sorry but i find that quite funny :D :p

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 30 September 2004

The 182 will be bags more fun than the CTR even if its not as reliable.
Agreed...

Ive had both a 172 Cup and a CTR, both were great cars with the Honda being better made, totally reliable, faster, better gearbox, etc... however the Cup was more fun to drive!

If I could somehow combine the 2 cars Id be a very happy man. ;)

insignia

The dci may seem quick but on paper there as poor as piss compared to the 2.0 16 FZR engines.No comparison can be made,without saying that the dci may seem quick but when the 2 cars are put together the 182 will blow it straight into the ground.Not just a little bit.By loads.

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 01 October 2004

Silver "d"
Silver "c"

Blue/green "I"
dci 80 then they make about 85hp in real life.

Go for a dci spend the money you save on coilovers, remap some proper driving practice on the track and youll be quicker than a 182. And a lot better off.