ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Silver cup

My fiance has just bought a silver cup and I think they are far better than the blue ones and the fact is that there are only about 20 that have ever been made so its far better having a silver one because it will be worth more and its not something that many people will get the chance of having.

Got to agree - had my silver cup for about 2 weeks and it strikes a balance between attracting people in the know without standing out like a RS.

Ive always prefered silver cars particularly when fully colour coded.

Does anyone know the reason why the silver was introduced and not some special one off colour?

Clio v6

No special reason really, its done all the time by car makers.

Renault had a batch of silver paint which had some luster problems, and it didnt conform to 2004 coding standards, so they had to use all of this up sharpish.

A small run of silver cups used this up.

;)

172, Tiguan

Im trying to find out how many Silver ones were actually made. There are now 4 on here it would appear.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Foxy617 on 21 December 2003

My fiance has just bought a silver cup and I think they are far better than the blue ones and the fact is that there are only about 20 that have ever been made so its far better having a silver one because it will be worth more and its not something that many people will get the chance of having.
Think youll find there are a lot more than 20 silver ones...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 22 December 2003

Not huge amounts more though Rich.

Made from July to November.
Be quite a few more than 20 though mate... ;)

Thats 5 months worth of production and they bang them out at a fair old rate!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 22 December 2003

Made by RenaultSport, not Reno though. Im thinking 200 ish.
Ask Jeremy Townsend, he will know for sure...

nuch nicer in blue, sorry but when i think of a cup i straight away think blue, dont know why you would go for a silver one, but i guess its horses for courses. if your happy with it thats all that matters

320d M Sport

i reckon about 500 were made, 499 of them with 4K rattles, 498 of them with alarm problems, and 497 of them making 142 bhp.....

Remapped derv Golf

So what! The Modial blue is an exculsive colour for the CUP. The silver ones just look like 172s with nicer wheels

VaVa

A Cup HAS to be Mondial IMHO. Silver ones look just as good, but blue is the colour of the Cup!! Imagine a silver Williams - it would probably look OK but all wrong at the same time!! Just my 2p.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Foxy617 on 23 December 2003

The silver ones are far better especially when theyve been chipped.
When all the silver paint chips off?! ;) :p

172, Tiguan

Cant believe people are getting there knickers in a twist over a colour.

I prefered the Silver. IMO it looks better. Hence why i bought one.

If it had only been available in the blue, i would ve got a blue one.

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 23 December 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Foxy617 on 23 December 2003 <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">The silver ones are far better especially when theyve been chipped. [/QUOTE]When all the silver paint chips off?! ;) :p

How can the silver ones be better when chipped than a blue one when chipped? Thats tosh, sorry! Also - I might be wrong here - but dont most of the silver ones have climate control, this making them heavier, and therefore slower, and therefore, not really a true Cup, which theyre not anyway because as said a million times above the Cup is Mondial Blue - its an exclusive (well not that exclusive now ;)) performance Clio, and one feature of the car is that it is the only Renault you (the layman) can afford which comes in Mondial Blue.

Therefore, to conclude my rant, the CUP is Mondial blue with no air con, no ABS, no multi-changer, no leather. The silver ones - esp those with air con, are lame imposters.

In years to come, people will say "See that really nice-blue coloured car... thats a Renault Clio Cup. It was the Daddy of its day." Just as they say the same now of the Williams which ALL came in dark blue with gold wheels.

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Foxy617 on 21 December 2003
the fact is that there are only about 20 that have ever been made so its far better having a silver one because it will be worth more and its not something that many people will get the chance of having.

Yeah, who told you that? Him? The dealer? More likely the dealer... and most of them no nowt. The choice of having a silver one wasnt even made available to me. I mentioned it to the dealer when I picked up my new car, and he said "oh yeah its just become available" - there had been people on here with silver ones for weeks.

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by Jon1978 on 23 December 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 23 December 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Foxy617 on 23 December 2003

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">The silver ones are far better especially when theyve been chipped.
When all the silver paint chips off?! ;) :p

How can the silver ones be better when chipped than a blue one when chipped? Thats tosh, sorry! Also - I might be wrong here - but dont most of the silver ones have climate control, this making them heavier, and therefore slower, and therefore, not really a true Cup, which theyre not anyway because as said a million times above the Cup is Mondial Blue - its an exclusive (well not that exclusive now ;)) performance Clio, and one feature of the car is that it is the only Renault you (the layman) can afford which comes in Mondial Blue.

Therefore, to conclude my rant, the CUP is Mondial blue with no air con, no ABS, no multi-changer, no leather. The silver ones - esp those with air con, are lame imposters.

In years to come, people will say "See that really nice-blue coloured car... thats a Renault Clio Cup. It was the Daddy of its day." Just as they say the same now of the Williams which ALL came in dark blue with gold wheels.
Fair point Jon. Though on the V5 mine still says CUP. I just fancied being different. And i think its safe to say mine was the first Silver one in the country as i ordered it on the day Silver became available. Im more than happy with mine so I dont think ill be swapping for a Blue one just yet.

Probably just swap with something that has 4 rings on the front.

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Probably just swap with something that has 4 rings on the front.

Nooooooo not Vorschprung Deutsch Teknik or however you spell it!!!! Get a Noble M12 GTO or something else that has class and style... and doesnt stop working all the time like TTs.

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Jean Ragnotti on 23 December 2003
Not sure, but I believe the Silver "Cup" was marketed in France as the PS2, related to the Playstation 2 sponsorship of the S1600 rally car.

Cest vrai - absolutely true. The silver Cup in France IS the "PS2", and as your name suggests, the proper Cup is the "Jean Ragnotti"

Sorry I missed off the second 0. I meant 200 but they dont even think there will b that many.

Anyway its what you like best that counts and I think the silver is great. Passed 2 blue cups one after the other yesterday on the way to Derby and you wouldnt have much chance of passing 2 silver ones in a row.

Quote: Originally posted by malcup on 22 December 2003

your dreaming if you think the silver ones are gonna be worth more, silvers so 1999.
Of course the silver cup will hold its value better than the blue ones, itll be worth more as its limited. Unlike the false claims of renault when they said the mondial cup production will be limited to 500. haha try 5000!!

Silver cups come with gloss finish on the side strips - i think the same as the std 172.

I prefer it that way as it easier to clean and polish and works well in silver.

Quote: Originally posted by 172gal on 04 January 2004

Quote: Originally posted by malcup on 22 December 2003

your dreaming if you think the silver ones are gonna be worth more, silvers so 1999.
Of course the silver cup will hold its value better than the blue ones, itll be worth more as its limited. Unlike the false claims of renault when they said the mondial cup production will be limited to 500. haha try 5000!!

There is NO WAY a silver Cup is going to be worth more than a blue Cup, and how is the silver one "limited" going by that logic surely the blue is "limited"? How much more do you think someone is going to pay for the privilege of buying a silver 172? :p

I imagine youd have to persuade any potential buyer that your car really was a CUP and not a silver 172 with CUP wheels. Just like you will every other person that doesnt read forums like this and still doesnt know they made them in silver.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Well the original thread poster prefers his silver one over a blue one... shock horror not everyone prefers the blue. And the silver cup is more rare than the blue.. shock horror again.

Sidenote: I think its quite easy to prove its a silver cup oweing to the fact it doesnt have 172 interior !! has cup wheels and 172 cup stuck on the b pillar.

Its down to personal choice, silver will be more sought after for some ppl and blue for others. But to say they will be worth more is complete and utter tripe. Just like for 172s some ppl will pay more for a red one over say a black one but then some ppl might do the opposite.