ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sim City (5)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Quite a lot of eta gameplay on YouTube at present. Obviously the beta is limited but gives a good insight. Looks very promising.

Few more videos on the official EA simcity YouTube page too.

04BGFF182CLIORS
I really want to get this is OSX, but the only pre-order options are both limited editions and £45+

Will there be a 'normal' edition at a normal price? (i.e ~£30)

Released a week today chaps (iirc).

Really looking forward to this, watched a load of videos from people playing the closed beta, looks epic!

I've even installed windows on my iMac as I don't want to wait for the OSX version which comes out much later.

Clio
As noone answered me before... Am i likely to be able to run this on my shitty 5 year old laptop or not? 2.1ghz processor and 3mgb of ram?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
What will my Windows PC need to get SimCity running so I can build the best city in the world?

Operating System and Programs:
SimCity will run on Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7, as well as Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

Internet Connection:
To experience SimCity, players will need an Internet connection of at least 256 kbps download and 64kbps upload or faster.

CPU:
Intel players will need, minimally, a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo, while our AMD players will need at least a an Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+.

RAM:
Players will need a system with at least 2GB of RAM.

HARD DRIVE:
Players will need at least 10GB of hard drive space free, though more is always recommended for smooth and easy playing.

OPTICAL DRIVE:
If players opt for the physical disc version as opposed to a digital download, they will need a DVD-ROM drive in order to play SimCity.

VIDEO:
Players will need at least a 512 MB video card featuring either an nVidia 7800 or better, an AMD chipset of at least an ATI Radeon HD 2x00 or better, or an Intel Series 4 integrated graphics or better.
***NOTE: All the above-mentioned must also have a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.
It is essential to the game’s performance and stability that the latest possible drivers for your video card are installed at all times. Maintaining diligence toward your drivers will allow you to maximize on the SimCity experience.
What will my Mac need to get SimCity running so I can build the best city in the world?

Operating System and Programs:
SimCity will run on Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

Internet Connection:
To experience SimCity, players will need an Internet connection of at least 256 kbps download and 64kbps upload or faster.

CPU:
Players will need an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better.

RAM:
Players will need a system with at least 2GB of RAM.

HARD DRIVE:
Players will need at least 10GB of hard drive space free, though more is always recommended for smooth and easy playing.

OPTICAL DRIVE:
If players opt for the physical disc version as opposed to a digital download, they will need a DVD-ROM drive in order to play SimCity.

VIDEO:
Players will need at least an nVidia 9400M or Intel HD3000.
It is essential to the game’s performance and stability that the latest possible drivers for your video card are installed at all times. Maintaining diligence toward your drivers will allow you to maximize on the SimCity experience.

probably, graphics card may be your issue.

Clio
Ta Seb, if she didn't want to try for a baby soon I'd be turning the spare room into my cave and getting a desktop. We could negotiate a new laptop though!

ibtl.

Signed up to a VPN service today, so should be able to download this tomorrow as its released in the US.
It'll come handy when I'm abroad too when wanting to watch iplayer etc

Clio 1.2 16V
Just put Windows on the Macbook:approve: shame we've got to wait for the Mac version :(. Anyone know if the licence for the Windows one will cover the Mac version when its out?

It seems as though yet again an 'only online' launch has got horribly messy. 30 minute server queues just to log in and play the game! Good job they only launched in one country today...

FFS doesn't sound good.
I can't stand EA, anything to do with them and its bound to be s**t. Just hope the game lives up to the hype.

I've read a lot of people complaining about the small size of the map, and that you can't have massive cities like you used to be able to do.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
FFS doesn't sound good.
I can't stand EA, anything to do with them and its bound to be s**t. Just hope the game lives up to the hype.

I've read a lot of people complaining about the small size of the map, and that you can't have massive cities like you used to be able to do.

EA/Origin is s**t granted, but im afraid to say it but they do have some awesome games, bf3 for example. Ill get getting Sim City, not for the Origin price though!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
FFS doesn't sound good.

The focus is more on interconnected cities, rather than massive ones.

There have been rumours of much larger maps coming as DLC

I'm really not looking forward to waiting while my shitty Internet connection attempts to download the 12GB file!!
I might even wake up very early in the morning, start it off then go back to bed lol!

Lots of early impressions doing the rounds, it sounds as though even though you can play completely on your own (looking after more than one city in your region), the game really isn't geared up for that, it's much better playing with other people in the region. The main issue from the people who have had press access for a while is that if somebody just leaves their city (but doesn't officially abandon it so someone else can take it on) it has a massive knock on effect to the other cities in the region to the point where it pretty much runs the other cities into the ground with little you can do about it. The city size just compounds the problem as there is very little room to dig yourself out a hole.

Tonnes of bugs as well, lots of messages about cities not being connected to the main transport links (even though that's the first thing you do in a new city), random buildings not receiving water despite being connected to a road in a city with massive overcapacity etc.

I'm waiting for the Mac release, but it sounds like pretty much the ultimate single player game has gone fully multiplayer.

Yup and that's a mighty shame.

This was the sort of game I'd love as a frequent traveller. Get it out in the hotel and have a blast for an hour or so. But if the hotel hasn't got wifi, I can't play it!!
I'm really excited about this game, I can see myself really enjoying it for a bit, then just leaving it after I get fed up with all the limitations.

But EA won't give a s**t, they've got my money, which is all that matters to them.

Complete s**t storm by the sounds of things, the review sites can't even review it!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/05/gamers-line-up-to-play-simcity/#more-144319

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Orig...ease-and-Digital-Deluxe-Editions-334343.shtml

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/04/simcitys-always-online-functionality-trips-up-the-review-process/

http://kotaku.com/5988286/simcity-won-and-broke-my-heart-in-just-three-days

"More problematic (for me) was my home network set-up and a wi-fi router that has taken to dropping connections of late. If you lose an internet connection while playing SimCity will most likely stop and you will be forced back to the loading screen. Sucks to be whatever sims you may have been trying to help or rescue. If you do not have a connection when you try to start playing, the game will not start.While I did have one brief experience of being able to continue playing the game offline in a private server environment with no other invited players, in all other cases (about 8 separate times, over the course of three days) the game simply halted and waited, politely, for connectivity to be restored."

Fiesta ST
No doubt a hacked/pirate version of the game will be released soon which you can play offline and thus be far superior! making a mockery of DRM system.

I may have asked this in the past, but what is the advantage or reason why they make it on-line only?

Officially their servers are actually processing quite a bit of the game engine, so it simply won't work without being connected. They are selling the whole 'multiple users in a region thing', but I honestly don't understand why they couldn't have a single player offline version, surely the server side calculations aren't that taxing for a decent PC? It's going to take some serious work to hack it, as far as I understand.

Obviously everyone else just believes (probably correctly) it's a cynical attempt at blocking piracy, as well as being a nice way of tying it to an online marketplace.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm waiting for the Mac release, but it sounds like pretty much the ultimate single player game has gone fully multiplayer.

I don't understand this obsession with multiplayer in games? Just as DanPhoto says - at times its great to simply fire up the PC, have a blat for an hour and then shut it down. It your time choice and you're not buggering up the game commitments for the other players by dropping out early.

I partially blame the media for this. It's almost a given red-card when a pure single-player game gets released. The rather excellent Hard Reset is a prime example of this. A graphically great FPS game - but slated by the media for its lack of multiplayer. MP has its place - Forza, BF3, Company of Heroes, etc. But equally, so does SP. And to hinder an established classic like the SimCity franchise with that, is just plain stupid imo.

What next? No single player option for Civilization VI??

D.

You will never stop piracy. Fact.
I've paid for this game, but if a cracked single player version comes out ill download it. EA can f**k off frankly.

Fiesta ST
You will never stop piracy. Fact.

Well you can if you make it On-line only like MMORPG's, with the servers doing some of the work. Which is what they are looking to achieve I reckon.

It reminds me of most MMORPG releases - massive server queues and bug ridden gameplay.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Very retarded that you can't preload it. This online DRM s**t really pisses me off, it hardly ever works properly for the first week and ends up down randomly at times, surely these company's making millions should get their fingers out and put some more resource in getting it to work first time!!

£50 or whatever it is to sit and look at this...

u4DVg94.png

Clio 1.2 16V
Think their excuse is because its being developed natively for the Mac and not just a "port". In two minds wether to bother getting this now :dapprove: don't mind the online stuff, but if its going to cause 30 min queues because the severs are busy then f**k that.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
standard release day issues of servers. never goes to plan.

Fiesta ST
I may have to get this! although I want Tomb Raider, FC3 and Arma3 alpha as well so not sure which to go for.