ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Simple electric question ...

ClioSport 182
I have a GPS unit (Garmin Nuvi) which comes with a 12v cig lighter charging cable.

My question is: is this cable transforming the voltage/current in any way or just passing whatever the cig lighter specs are (12v, ? amps) straight through to the GPS unit?

The reason I ask is that I am thinking to cut cig lighter end off the cable and "hard wire" it directly to a power feed. Is this asking for trouble??

KnightAzul

Golf GTI 1.8T
No wont be any problem with this, just hard wire it to the cig lighter wires, I'd put an inline fuse in to be safe though.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
It is highly unlikely that it will be doing any sorta voltage conversion, but it should say on the gps unit next to where you plug the power in what voltage it runs on.

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
what i did for mine was rewire another cigarette lighter behind the dashboard, as i plan to recuperate some of the cost of the GPS unit when i come to sell it, and its unlikely the buyer will be impressed with your slicing and dicing of the power source cable! the cigarette lighter ports are cheap as chips 2

ClioSport 182
DeanJ said:
what i did for mine was rewire another cigarette lighter behind the dashboard, as i plan to recuperate some of the cost of the GPS unit when i come to sell it, and its unlikely the buyer will be impressed with your slicing and dicing of the power source cable! the cigarette lighter ports are cheap as chips 2

Now that is a good idea! Did you have to solder wires onto the cigarette lighter port? I'm shite with a solder gun ...

Thx,

KnightAzul