ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Simple Battery Isolator

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Looking to fit a simple battery isolator into my Phase 1 clio for times when its lying in storage unused to prevent the battery draining and also incase of any electrical issues

Anyone recommend a simple method, would it be ok just to tie into the positive feed to the battery somewhere and wire it in there? Or is there simpler area where I could tie in?
I have had a search and most threads I have found are for wiring in a proper kill switch which is obviously linked to ignition etc which is a bit more than the simple solution I require

Apologies if this is a simple question, electrics isn't my area of expertise so always prefer to ask first and find out as much info as possible

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Last link will do you fine about as simple as your going to find. Just place it on the negative side!

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
The neg terminal is a rubbish fit anyway, I found that before on a dci clio aswell. Is it a common thing or odd sized terminals?

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
On both cars its been the negative earth clamp that has been poor, fully tightened up and it can still be rotated easily and probably pulled off if enough force is applied

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Does where you store it have power? If so i'd rather leave something like a C-Tek charger connected up...

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
There is power, but being on a farm in a shed Im a bit wary of leaving a battery connected and a constant power supply connected up just incase.
Will throw a charger on it every wee while when Im around to keep on top of it.

And definately no bear strength here when tightening battery terminals haha

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
You could try a solar trickle charger to. Not sure how good they are though!!
Had read a lot of people use them and feed back in via cigarette lighter. Problem is I'll be trying to store the car inside as much as possible (granted it did spend most its time outside this year but that was till I got some space cleared that I could use and leave it without being in someones way. Unless I was to extend the wiring and mount it outside

MINI-R32-integrale
The ctek is designed to do this, I know @J333EVO has one permanently on his integrale..

As Jamie says I've been using a Ctek charger on my integrale for years, after a recommendation plus I think they are supplied as standard on some Porsche and other high end cars that are not expected to be used all year round.

It is meant to be left plugged in and is supplied with a permanent connection to the battery terminals that has a waterproof plug to simply plug the charger into when in use. This is what I do, it also has a winter option so with colder weather it gives it a bit more power. Some even do this automatically now.

Also has a recovery option which I was dubious over at first, but revived a battery that was dead and had been replaced 12 months earlier and had sat flat in my garage, as I hadn't got round to disposing of it. I thought no harm is seeing what the charger would do, not only did it charge it up but the battery then held a charge thereafter something it wasn't doing when I had replaced it.