ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky Broadband

Nissan Jewk
My parents have this at home, got given a Sagem router too. I tested it the other day, middle of the afternoon, managed a peak speed of 3.6Mbps. It's not been much better than this morning or night either.

The router itself is poor. I can maybe get decent wifi in half the house, but not in the other half. The house is a new build, so the walls are pretty thin - not very impressed! I looked on the sky website to see if they had upgrade options. It seems there's only 2 options - capped or uncapped. Both with speeds of up to 20Mbps. Not likely!

I've not yet tried, but have heard dabbling with a netgear router instead of the factory Sagem, causes a few problems as Sky won't give you their login details? Anyone else have similiar problems with Sky broadband and weak speeds?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
3.6mbps is about average isnt it? i cant get more than 5/6mb.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Sky used to dish out white Netgear routers, instead of those shoddy Sagems. My Sagem was black and looked like a mini Sky box. My Sagem caused me nothing but grief, to the point where I was gonna change to BT. Had a look on ebay for a Sky netgear, got one for about a tenner, straight swap, broadband been sound since, that was about 3 years ago. If you search net, loads of tales about Sagem router been complete tosh!!

2014 Focus Titanium
Sky used to dish out white Netgear routers, instead of those shoddy Sagems. My Sagem was black and looked like a mini Sky box. My Sagem caused me nothing but grief, to the point where I was gonna change to BT. Had a look on ebay for a Sky netgear, got one for about a tenner, straight swap, broadband been sound since, that was about 3 years ago. If you search net, loads of tales about Sagem router been complete tosh!!

Bear in mind Sagem rolled out an OTA firmware update about two months which VASTLY improved 99% of these routers. I was ready to toss mine in the bin but waited for the update and it has been completely faultless since then.

Also, Sky now use MER authentication (which they are rolling out to all their accounts iirc) which as I understand it means you cannot use another router as the Sagem you are given has a unique ID assigned to your broadband account, it doesn't use a username and password. I could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure that's the deal.

https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

F
ollow the instructions and it will give you your username and password. I'm under the impression you may need to spoof the Sagem's Mac address on another router for it to work properly.

Also the new Sky router has 802.11n so that should improve range and are about £35 to buy from Sky. It's also been updated for fibre if/when Sky announce they will be doing it.