ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky HD

Lee

BMW M2C
I was just having a quick look at the Sky HD site.

Anyone know what they are going to allow you to connect to the USB port on the back? I notice it also has a serial ATA port so I assume you'll be able to add additional storage space with an external hard drive?

Octavia VRS
I could ask the gf as she works for Technical in Sky at the mo. From what she says I think there will be a lot of angry customers as false promises have been getting made.

Monaro VXR
They probably stuck all the ports on and they will never be used.

The old normal boxes had a port on the back that was never used and the extra card slot which was never used either.

Octavia VRS
wozzaa said:
They probably stuck all the ports on and they will never be used.

The old normal boxes had a port on the back that was never used and the extra card slot which was never used either.

kinda waht the gf said last night. She said that ports are there for 'future development'. Sky+ boxes have a couple of ports on the back as well

Citroen DS3 DSport
'Future Development' - that's the same old line they used with Sky+ and the standard digibox when I worked there for 4 years. Don't expect any use for these connections as they have never utilised them in the past.

replacing the hd inside the sky + box was a piece of piss anyway very very simple so fingers crossed this will be just as easy

Renault Laguna Coupe
Got Sky HD installed today - the sata and ethernet ports don't do anything.

The pic on the telly's great though !

Renault Laguna Coupe
Chris K said:
A noticeable difference?

What tele you got though?

noticeable? It's absolutely night and day mate. Toshiba 42WLT58. Dolby 5.1 surround on Sky Sports is awesome too.

Renault Laguna Coupe
At the moment yes. The World Cup is the showcase for the start of the service. It'll become mainstream after that.

No kidding, if you have an HD Ready TV, 32" screen or bigger, it's simply amazing.

Clio Mk1 1.4RT
Play an Xbox 360 on HD and you'll be amazed even more!! I've got my 360 but no HD TV at the mo as I'm skint from buying my 1st car. Videogames have come such a long way now since stuff like Pong & Space Invaders!

Renault Laguna Coupe
Tarmac Terrorist said:
Play an Xbox 360 on HD and you'll be amazed even more!! I've got my 360 but no HD TV at the mo as I'm skint from buying my 1st car. Videogames have come such a long way now since stuff like Pong & Space Invaders!

^^ correct :approve:

Clio Mk1 1.4RT
It's so much smoother aswell. I play my 360 then play my PS2 and there is one hell of a noticable difference between them! Xbox 360 gets most of my time as I love playing Xbox Live

wozzaa said:
..................... and the extra card slot which was never used either.

It can be used with a Sky credit card to check you balance, spend points on your subscription etc.

I've gotta get SkyHD linked up to our Panasonic 42" PV500. How much is the SkyHD box?

Telford Mike - You sold the vee??

Do you still have to pay £10 a month even if you have the full Sky world package? (sports, movies etc)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Tarmac Terrorist said:
Videogames have come such a long way now since stuff like Pong & Space Invaders!

<grumpy old man>
Give me MAME any day of the week. I'd much rather play treasure island dizzy than halo!

I feel so lucky to have seen that whole generation of computer games and not the rubbish that we have to put up with today!
</grumpy old man>

Running costs then.......

£60 a month to sky? £720 a year! (HD subscription + Sky world package)

£300 for the box

£1500-£3000 for a decent HDTV

Then if you want to go further you'll have to get an HD compatible DVD player and again they wont be cheap £5-600 at a guess?

And all to watch the usual shite with breaks every 10minutes and repeats every other day!

£60 a month to watch sky is ludicrous money. Its garbage!

Last edited:
  Renault Laguna Coupe
Jay said:
I've gotta get SkyHD linked up to our Panasonic 42" PV500. How much is the SkyHD box?

Telford Mike - You sold the vee??

Hiya Jay, yes the Vee is gone, now have a fat-arsed Megane F1.

telford_mike said:
Hiya Jay, yes the Vee is gone, now have a fat-arsed Megane F1.

:eek: :(

how much did you sell for if you don't mind me asking?

sorry if I'm highjacking the thread.

Renault Laguna Coupe
Costs for Sky HD are £299 for the box and £52.50 a month if you have all the channels (Sky World). You can spend as much as you want on a telly (or projector) - £1,000 to £10,000! And yes Mitchy is right, once you've got this you'll want a HD-DVD or BluRay player which will be at least another £500.

How quickly can they install sky hd? if I order now will I get it in time for the world cup?

Mitchy said:
Running costs then.......

£60 a month to sky? £720 a year! (HD subscription + Sky world package)

£300 for the box

£1500-£3000 for a decent HDTV

Then if you want to go further you'll have to get an HD compatible DVD player and again they wont be cheap £5-600 at a guess?

And all to watch the usual sh*te with breaks every 10minutes and repeats every other day!

£60 a month to watch sky is ludicrous money. Its garbage!

its £52.5 per month £630 per year ( I was sepending £1750 on Cigs a year, so £630 is nothing now)

We needed a new TV anyway, ours was 10 years old. £1800 40" Samsung LCD HD ready, thats only £180 per year over 10 years ( paid cash, but you get the idea)

NO breaks on SKY HD MOVIES..... :)

£52.5 per month is about £12 per week, which in the scheme of things is nothing really

ROLL ON SKY HD, fitting it TOMORROW......if all goes well :) :)

Will buy a HD DVD player as soon as we know which one will be a dominant player? ;)

I'm sure when Colour TV's first came out some people where moaning, "Colour, why do we need to spend money on Colour, black and white is fine...its just a rip off".......lol ;)

Simon

Jay said:
How quickly can they install sky hd? if I order now will I get it in time for the world cup?

Not a chance. They can't keep up with demand.

We ordered 7 weeks ago or something, and it's not being installed until the 15th June. Sky rung up and delayed the install by a couple of weeks (should have been installed Friday just gone).

:rolleyes: you might of thought Sky would get a few more boxes in? people want them ready for the world cup!!!

Yep not very good forward planning is it?
Mines been put back from the 25th of May to the 5th of June, just in time for the World cup :)

Simon

Jay said:
:rolleyes: you might of thought Sky would get a few more boxes in? people want them ready for the world cup!!!

They did. The company making them can't keep up I think.

Serious amount of interest in HD :)