ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slick wax for a sliver car.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hi all,

This has probably been done 1000 x but i am going to ask anyway.

At the moment i am using AF Soul i find its ok but a little bit hard to remove and gives off a bit of dust. (i have used it on a black car)

It also does not give the wet look shine that im after, yes i know that sliver cars are not the best to start with but i did have my car detailed by Scrooge and used AF Passion.

What i am after is a good finish a nice shine, i don't use the car day to day and i do clean it alot as it sits outside under a bloody sliver birch tree. Its a Sunday sunny day car.

The wax does not have to last for months, if it does then that's good but im not to worried.

Budget wise, i don't want to spend anymore than i have to but no way anymore than £100. £50 would be nice.

So whats my options, what do you guys recommend?

One last question, do i go for AF Tough coat or Gtechniq C2v3?

Thanks for your help

​Scott.

Last edited:

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Tripple, Tough coat then Illusion ... looked super on my titanium of one month :eek:

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I've been testing out a few different waxes on silver over the last few months and personally its between bouncers 22 and auto finesse illusion. Illusion has the edge on looks and b22 has the edge on water behaviour and durability.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Well worth trying for £13 and just so you know how much you get I've been round my car twice and there's easily another 3 - 4 goes!

BMW E46 330i Touring
I used Bouncers Capture the Rapture yesterday on mine and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Nice and glossy but it really does get the flake popping in sunlight:

IMG_1027.gif

IMG_1025.gif

IMG_1028.gif

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Whilst I really liked the sample of CTR Gally sent me it wasn't as easy to use as illusion, and B22 still has the edge over CTR due to the durability and ease of use.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I think im going to go with Illusion, i already have Tripple.

So you go over the car with Tripple 1st (after washing of course) then Tough coat and last the wax?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Whilst I really liked the sample of CTR Gally sent me it wasn't as easy to use as illusion, and B22 still has the edge over CTR due to the durability and ease of use.

Yeah I found its curing time REALLY short for an oily wax. In the end I was doing about a quarter of my roof/bonnet at a time and just one smaller panel. Pleased with the results though and probably have enough of Gally's sample left to do the car another 4/5 times.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Tough Coat on its own applied over Tough Prep I've seen 4 months plus (hard to say as I keep topping up)

Illusion in wouldn't really expect more than a month or two max without reapplication depending on how often you wash the car.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
C2V3 really does show tough coat up. Different style products but a small bottle of C2V3 is so cheap. The protection is superb.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hopefully, I should receive a pot of ctr of Gally this week in time for CSS.

Love the wet glossy look. :)

Whats CTR mate?

Tough Coat on its own applied over Tough Prep I've seen 4 months plus (hard to say as I keep topping up)

Illusion in wouldn't really expect more than a month or two max without reapplication depending on how often you wash the car.

I wash it when im going to take it out, in winter i dont use it but in the good weather ill end up driving it most weekends.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
C2V3 really does show tough coat up. Different style products but a small bottle of C2V3 is so cheap. The protection is superb.

The car needs it tbh as it sits outside, not used very much.

Thanks Gally, ill order some tomo. :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If you're having trouble removing soul and dusting problems I'd look into your methods, how much you apply and how long you leave it to cure. With a lot of waxes it often comes down to user error.

with illusion, it is pretty user friendly as it can be over applied and let on a while with easy removal still. But get it wrong and it's just as awkward as any other, just a lot more expensive when you get it wrong

as for waxes on silver, ones Ive tried and worked well have been passion, carbon, b22, vics collectors

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thanks Dave ill look into the last 3, yes Passion was used on my car before and it looked good tbh.

​The dust has got alot better now ive used the wax a few times, i leave it for quite a while until it goes white. I that the right way of doing it?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think you're leaving it too long mate. Roughly 2 panels at a time imo on most waxes apart from Swisswax and maybe 1or2 AF ones.

Definitive also had a decent one for setting. Most however cannot be left on the car long.

Even have a look at Zymol instructions. It's like 1 panel at a time.

You'll be impressed with C2V3. I guarantee that.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I think you're leaving it too long mate. Roughly 2 panels at a time imo on most waxes apart from Swisswax and maybe 1or2 AF ones.

Definitive also had a decent one for setting. Most however cannot be left on the car long.

Even have a look at Zymol instructions. It's like 1 panel at a time.

You'll be impressed with C2V3. I guarantee that.

Cheers, well at least ive found the problem..:)

Ill place an order with CYC tomo morning for illusion and C2V3, does the C2V3 go on before the wax?

Iceberg 172
If you want something more durable (I'm talking 6+months) might be worth looking into collinite. I use this as my car is an every day and it doesn't break down through usual driving.

If you want something more durable (I'm talking 6+months) might be worth looking into collinite. I use this as my car is an every day and it doesn't break down through usual driving.

Durable, yes. But 476s will mute the flake pop on metallic cars and generally make silver cars look dull. If you want something as durable, but with better looks, try 915 Insulator wax.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thanks again JD, as ive said i don't need it to last ages its the final finish that im after so when i take the car out for a drive it looks great.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, well at least ive found the problem..:)

Ill place an order with CYC tomo morning for illusion and C2V3, does the C2V3 go on before the wax?

After. It'll seal it in almost. It's what I do if i'm using a nice show wax.

RS Clio 200
IMG_0034.jpg

This is my 200 last month when I finished it off with some autofinesse illusion.. Really does the car justice in my opinion!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers mate, your car looks great my order will arrive today so I can get cracking.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So thanks very much for the advice, Used AF Tripple and AF Illusion.

I think the results are very good, well im over the moon anyway. :D

20130621_201126_zps72a0bc44.jpg

20130621_201600_zps3cfc276c.jpg

20130621_201529_zps6c0ccfc5.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
After using Tripple and a white pad, was not waxed at this point.

20130620_203752_zps5e532855.jpg

20130620_203804_zpsa63187ee.jpg

Thanks alot guys for the comments. :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I have PA but ive used AF Soul in the passed, this time i wanted to try something different which has worked quite well....:approve:

​I also bought AF Tough coat and C2V3 but i have not used these yet.