ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Small portable hard drive

Golf R soon...
Good afternoon,

I'm getting my brother a portable hard drive for Christmas and I need your suggestions.

It needs to be small, stylish, between 250gb or more and run on USB power not mains.

Under £75 would be great.

Any ideas?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/15733334/Western-Digital-Elements-500GB-USB-Portable-Hard-Drive/Product.html?searchstring=elements&searchtype=PCSH&searchsource=2&searchfilters=s{elements}%2bc{420}%2bc{3235}%2b&urlrefer=search

Do NOT touch Western Digital. I have their 1TB drive and it's f**king s**t for one very simple reason. The new proprietary USB connector they are using sucks! Apparently they are adopting this connection on all their new drives. If this is true, then trust me, stay away.

I just recently picked up a 1TB Toshiba that works fine and was around £95 IIRC. Normal mini USB.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
Do NOT touch Western Digital. I have their 1TB drive and it's f**king s**t for one very simple reason. The new proprietary USB connector they are using sucks! Apparently they are adopting this connection on all their new drives. If this is true, then trust me, stay away.

I just recently picked up a 1TB Toshiba that works fine and was around £95 IIRC. Normal mini USB.

they aint proprietary cables, they are micro-USB.

Call them what you like. They're s**t. Look at it and it'll disconnect.

EDIT: Here's a taster of what I mean - http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/faulty-usb-cable/td-p/3695

Unless they've fixed this issue, do not discount it with thoughts of "I'll just be careful with it". They are TERRIBLE and you will do well to not end up stamping on it. Pathetic design.

EDIT 2: Oh and then there's the software that they seem to be installing. Virtual CD? f**k off. I had to actually download some software from WD in order to uninstall the software and just use it as a HDD!

EDIT 3: Ok it appears they may have resolved this issue with a new updated cable design. I'll be staying clear of all WD USB drives in future though. There are cheaper and better alternatives on the market.

Last edited: