ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smokey Clio dci 80. Any knowledge on here?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Alex W? HMS boat bomber?

I'm not very good with diesels but a mate of mine has a 54 plate clio dci 80.

It starts, ticks over and sounds perfect. Quietest one i've heard in fact.

But on boost, it horses out blue oily smoke.

It had a new turbo, intercooler and all pipework from Renault in 2011 (£1900!!!!) so it would be a bit annoying if it was a turbo again?

Where else should I be looking? Naturally, he's a bit wary of taking it to a garage. Are there any common faults that I should be checking first?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Dan have you taken the air intake pipe off of the turbo and felt for any play in it?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Dan have you taken the air intake pipe off of the turbo and felt for any play in it?

No, the silly t**t had had it running for half hour before we picked it up. I opened the bonnet, got greeted with 100 degrees of heat and just put it on the trailer.

I'll have a fiddle at the weekend but I wanted to arm myself with some facts before I go undoing stuff on saturday! lol

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I was at Freds the other week and he had a kangoo van in. It drove fine came on boost with no problems.

When he took the turbo off the impeller almost fell out there was so much play in it.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
We did an astra van last week and there was nothing left of the impeller! Just stumps! lol.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
FPMSL at HMS BOAT BOMBER :lolup:

on a serious note, my bets turbo is fudged. as scott says, air inlet pipe off to the turbo, check the shaft play ( little movement is ok )

seen it a few times when the oil feed or return gets blocked or incorrectly fitted, the seals in the turbo give up and let oil through.

not a good idea to keep running it, in the case of it desides to blow completely into the cold side and making your ear friendly run off diesel :) ( assuming its turbo )

not allot else can make the pore out blue smoke apart from stuck/ very warn piston rings BUT that would make it a b*****d to start

that kangoo fred had in was a funny one. no throttle response when warm and the it would all of a sudden pick back up.

now , ive had two turbo's on my 80, one replaced as the old shaft itself (done 150K), the second due to my stupidity and not giving it enough time circulate oil to the turbo , aaaaand buying a cheap jap crap copy off ebay

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
has it got any good service history?

you are not really going to tel if its rings unless you do a compression test.

i highly doubt it would be that tho, considering i've only worked on two dci's that have done that, down to shite servicing ( or lack of )

i have bets its gone on the hot side of the turbo, and is filling the cat up with oil. hence a load of s**t being kicked out when on boost.

i would clean those fecking egr's out whilst your taking stuff off in that area aswell.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'm betting on it being the turbo. Doesn't sound like a boost leak.

You can take off the boost pipes on the 80 easily to see what's going on and if there's oil everywhere.

Turbos do come up, end suffix 002 fairly frequently (on ebay) and are the same for the megane/scenic/clio 80. Anywhere between £50 and £100, the cheaper ones sell within a couple of hours.

Longer cranking could be due to the crank sensor being the old design

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
has it got any good service history?

you are not really going to tel if its rings unless you do a compression test.

i highly doubt it would be that tho, considering i've only worked on two dci's that have done that, down to s**te servicing ( or lack of )

i have bets its gone on the hot side of the turbo, and is filling the cat up with oil. hence a load of s**t being kicked out when on boost.

i would clean those fecking egr's out whilst your taking stuff off in that area aswell.

Good to know, thank you. Whenever we do stuff like this, everything that can come off, comes off and goes in the parts washer overnight. I'd never put it back together dirty I can assure you!

I'm betting on it being the turbo. Doesn't sound like a boost leak.

You can take off the boost pipes on the 80 easily to see what's going on and if there's oil everywhere.

Turbos do come up, end suffix 002 fairly frequently (on ebay) and are the same for the megane/scenic/clio 80. Anywhere between £50 and £100, the cheaper ones sell within a couple of hours.

Longer cranking could be due to the crank sensor being the old design

Can I buy a newer design crank sensor to cure this? Thanks for your help too graham. I couldn't remember what you were now called so couldn't mention you! lol.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've always used CR turbos, I'd never fit a second hand one as it seems a bit of a pointless effort imo.

I've had three off them quite recently and both the service and the parts have been spot on. Cheap too!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
CR turbo's i think did my hybrid turbo for me. was a bloody quick turn around and touch wood , the turbo is still going strong.

yes you can get the new crank sensor, you'll get a new sensor and a piece of loom.
mine cranks a little longer than others but aslong as it starts i wouldnt bother, you'll be forever chasing slow starts if its not that.

tel your mate, next time he has its serviced , to throw a set of new bosch glow plugs in. for the sake of a few quid more its worth it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I proper love Vince@cr. Ive used him for so many different turbos over the years. Everything from 600bhp tuned petrol to my diesel van. Always amazing service. Can't recommend him enough.

Blue is oil smoke
oil is stem seals, rings or turbo
stem seals wouldn't do it just on boost like that I suspect
my money is on turbo

clio dci , ren8
They do have a habit of eating turbos if not looked after or wrong oil is used , you don't always get play in the impels shaft low as you can get internal cracking :( is it a high miler ? worn rings is becoming more common .

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Turbo I reckon, they usually are when they do that. with the slow starting have you checked around the injectors?

Many.
Missed services, oil drain in the turbo has been filled with sludge and crap, blocking the drain and leaving the only exit for the oil to be through the seals.
Exactly what happend on my 80. Also, no play in the shaft, so thats not always the tell-tale.

As expected though, I agree turbo. It sounds exactly the same as my 80, being that you could run and drive it off boost, but once boost came in, it smoked like a gooden.

Whip the turbo off, its not that bad to do, drop the cat, decat it, blank the egr, etc.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
No worries Dan, seems the crank sensor question has been answered now.

If the injectors have a little leak around them then the copper washers are only a fiver for 4.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
definitely blue smoke?

my new one was down on power and giving out s**t loads of black smoke on full throttle, was a coked up EGR valve had blocked the inlet pipe with all the black slude of the day meaning it was getting starved of air.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mate it fills the street up with bright blue oily smoke! It's definitely blue.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So we replaced the turbo.... EXACTLY the same. May as well have burned the money! lol.

But at least I know it's done. We also smashed the cat out and turned the EGR 180 degrees.

So what's next? It's very odd, it doesn't smoke all the time. At 70mph on the motorway, no smoke! At idle, no smoke, at 30mph, no smoke but as soon as you accelerate, SMOKE!

There is a puddle of diesel around one of the injectors so we're going to remove them, send them for cleaning and fit new seals.

Where should I look next? Or should I just ebay it?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
As you know mate, blue smoke is caused by the burning of engine oil.

The only other thing i can think of is the valve guides are worn, my car has only done 49k but i had to have all 16 of my guides replaced. :(

Brand new turbo?

Did you clean out the intercooler & pipework?

How bad was the old unit?

I wouldn't touch the injectors. You just have to look at them funny and they break. Just check the 17mm nut is tight on the input pipe

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Brand new turbo?

Did you clean out the intercooler & pipework?

How bad was the old unit?

I wouldn't touch the injectors. You just have to look at them funny and they break. Just check the 17mm nut is tight on the input pipe

Brand new turbo. All the pipe work was removed (none of it had much oil in, a dribble at best ) and were washed properly in the parts cleaner.
The old turbo had no play in it at all. The only difference, was that the fan itself was slightly stiffer than the new one. Very very slightly.

Drive it with the intake pipe off on the inlet. It'll be slit your wrists slow, but it'll eliminate anything pre inlet manifold blowing oil in. If you're going to eBay it, text me a price :)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Hmmm, can't remember if you said it had a good service history...?
try what dan said , if it ain't pre inlet, then hello fun!

clio dci , ren8
Well the common thing that is occurring more on this engine is broken rings or cracked rings . I have one at the moment that starts fine , no smoke , but boot it when cold & you cant see behind it ,drive a couple of miles & it cleans up & you would never know it has a problem .

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Are you sure the intercooler isn't full of oil? The pipes may be relatively clear but the intercooler could be full from the old fucked turbo.

Run it for while and see if it starts to clear or just take the intercooler off and check.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well the common thing that is occurring more on this engine is broken rings or cracked rings . I have one at the moment that starts fine , no smoke , but boot it when cold & you cant see behind it ,drive a couple of miles & it cleans up & you would never know it has a problem .

This is exactly what it does!

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Are you sure the intercooler isn't full of oil? The pipes may be relatively clear but the intercooler could be full from the old fucked turbo.

Run it for while and see if it starts to clear or just take the intercooler off and check.

Inter cooler was cleaned out too mate.