ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoking from dash, and now a couple of problems.

Clio 172 Ph1.
Hi.
yesterday i took my car out for a spin for the first time in 5 weeks. After 2 minutes lots of smoke came from the top of the dashboard. I parked the car to get out, i seriously thought it had caught fire. After i turned the car off, the smoking stopped, and after a few minutes i decided to start the car up again. Here comes the problems. The left indicator-light is always on, both in the speedo, and on the outside. The handbrake warning light, and stop light is also on.
When the smoking was happening i managed to take the radio out (aftermarket with no clips) but there wasnt any smoke behind it.
today i have taken the top of the dashboard off, but there isnt any signs of something burned. But i found another problem.
When the ignition is on, the hazard-switct is on, and you use the windshield wipers, they just follow the "clicking" from the relay. This is really odd, and therefore im thinking the UCH?. So i took the uch out to look for signs of smoke/damage, but i cant find anything.

Have any off you guys experienced this before? Or have any usefull advice for troubleshooting?

The car is a Ph1 172.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Need to see the car to say i'm afraid but it does sound like the UCH has fried if you can't find any signs of fire damage (such as toasted wiring).

Proberbly water ingress as its fairly common but not to this degree. Have a nose (literally) around the passenger footwell and see if there are any signs of fire or an increase in burnt plastics smell there.

Mick

Clio 172 Ph1.
If anybody has a wiring diagram of the uch and the things it controls, it would be very much appreciated.

Im pretty sure that the smoke didnt came from the uch. It sure doesnt look like it.
How much of the wiring is hidding behind the lower part of the dash? Im thinking of taking it out, but it is a pretty big job to do, and if there isnt any wiring, it would be pretty stupid.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its a CPU controlled unit which non-user servicable. Its PCB based and as far as I know, no schematic exists outside of the manufacturers walls i'm afraid. I was tempted to detail one myself many moons ago but gave up as its easier to replace them than to repair them (Though I do carry out some basic repairs to them such as component replacement)

It controls all of the body control functions; indicators, windows, wipers, central locking, security and lights. Very easy to get to and inspect though.

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah it does other things to like one-touch windows, intermittent wiper delays, interior light timers... can be programmed to do more also but that depends on model/spec

Clio 172 Ph1.
IMAG0834.jpgIMAG0806.jpgIMAG0837.jpgIMAG0835.jpgIMAG0836.jpgIMAG0800.jpgIMAG0801.jpgIMAG0832.jpgIMAG0799.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That's a fairly serious overload... any idea what circuit it's from? The loom can be fixed if you can identify what was what I'd say but i'd also be checking all the fuses to make sure they're the correct ratings for each circuit as I suspect that's been caused by an incorrectly rated fuse somewhere.

Mick