ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped Cooksport spring- what next?

Whilst I was out driving a few days ago my front nearside Cooksport spring snapped. I’ve tried to get in contact with Cooksport to see what they have to say but they haven’t got back to me. I’ve had these springs on my 182 for 6 years and 20,000 miles. In the last picture you can see the anti corrosion coating has peeled off and most of it was sitting on the damper.
E9881030-2C9A-483C-B737-237F255314AB.jpeg
B96BB759-9283-47B9-93BB-B1054B41EA0C.jpeg
08983CB0-348B-411A-B2EB-83E1079423BB.jpeg

I’ve read good things about the H&R springs so I’m leaning towards those at the moment, what would you recommend and why?

Cheers

Jack

Clio 172 Cup
Hi Jack I am running the grams springs on my cup, seem ok so far nice drop and not to crashy nice and tight although getting a bit of squeaks and stuff when parking but fine up at speed

monaco 172
Surely 6 years isn't bad going for a spring? Considering how cheap they are for a set of 4.

I like how my sportlines look, although they are terrible on bumpy roads

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Only aftermarket I've heard bad things about are cooks, so much so I sold my first generation ones sharpish about 5 years ago, run H&R since then until recently changed to eibach again as I get bored

Hi Jack I am running the grams springs on my cup, seem ok so far nice drop and not to crashy nice and tight although getting a bit of squeaks and stuff when parking but fine up at speed

Thanks for the feedback, it’s always nice to have more options to look into. I have seen the Grams on Kam Racing’s website so it’s good to hear how they are performing.

Eibach Sportline.

Snapped Cooksports seem quite common news :(

Eibach Sportlines are certainly a contender. I thought snapped Cooksports were quite common on the Megane’s but now I guess we are seeing it on the clio’s as well.

Surely 6 years isn't bad going for a spring? Considering how cheap they are for a set of 4.

I like how my sportlines look, although they are terrible on bumpy roads

Yeah to be honest I’m not sure of the average lifespan of a spring and I’m certainly not bashing Cooksport or their product. I’ve enjoyed having them on my car for the last 6 years but now it’s time for a change.

Thanks for the info regarding the Eibachs ?

Only aftermarket I've heard bad things about are cooks, so much so I sold my first generation ones sharpish about 5 years ago, run H&R since then until recently changed to eibach again as I get bored

5 years ago was a good time to sell as there was a fair bit of hype surrounding them back then.

What springs do you prefer out of the Eibach’s and H&R if you had to choose one set?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I had eibach sportlines for years best mod I did to my car. Would buy them again without hesitation.
Remember when everyone was bumming cooksport on here as the best springs you can buy and "cheap"?

That's why OEMS and race teams use H&R and eibach for there springs !!.

Had cheap springs in the past they are always cheap for a reason!!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Whilst I was out driving a few days ago my front nearside Cooksport spring snapped. I’ve tried to get in contact with Cooksport to see what they have to say but they haven’t got back to me. I’ve had these springs on my 182 for 6 years and 20,000 miles. In the last picture you can see the anti corrosion coating has peeled off and most of it was sitting on the damper.
View attachment 1416681View attachment 1416682View attachment 1416683

I’ve read good things about the H&R springs so I’m leaning towards those at the moment, what would you recommend and why?

Cheers

Jack

Just look at the spring dia and compare it to eibach or H&R when you get them you will see why cooks are cheaper!

Out of the above choices I've only ever had eibach sportlines before but couldn't fault them. Compared to the stock springs, the ride quality wasn't much different but I enjoyed the improved handling and drop in ride height.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Just look at the spring dia and compare it to eibach or H&R when you get them you will see why cooks are cheaper!

Its nothing to do with spring diameter really. Theres multiple ways to make a spring to a given spring rate. You can use a thinner wire and more coilovers, or thicker and less coils. This gives different characteristics to the spring behaviour.

Its metal, when the powdercoating eventually fails due to the flex of the spring, water will get in and eventually you will get a failure on any spring
With the effects of low profile tyres and stiff modern chassis the springs get much more abuse than years gone by. Then depending on how its used also will have an effect.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
it’s always nice to have more options to look into. I have seen the Grams on Kam Racing’s website so it’s good to hear how they are performing.

We've had no failed Grams springs yet. They do a nice ride height too - lower than the Eibach.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
6 years isn't too bad imo, nothing lasts forever . I can supply H&R springs , along with OE shocks, top mounts etc etc

I had eibach sportlines for years best mod I did to my car. Would buy them again without hesitation.
Remember when everyone was bumming cooksport on here as the best springs you can buy and "cheap"?

That's why OEMS and race teams use H&R and eibach for there springs !!.

Had cheap springs in the past they are always cheap for a reason!!

Thanks for the input Davo. Yes I remember the Cooksport hype very well, cant believe it was so long ago now!

no worries, the Sportlines ride slightly better, but for the extra drop the H&R are fine and car sits better and imo corners better too, felt great at Cadwell on them

That’s great feedback, I’m set on the H&R’s and will be ordering them tonight ?

Cheers!

Out of the above choices I've only ever had eibach sportlines before but couldn't fault them. Compared to the stock springs, the ride quality wasn't much different but I enjoyed the improved handling and drop in ride height.

Thanks for your input, Sportlines are very popular and have been for so many years on here.

We've had no failed Grams springs yet. They do a nice ride height too - lower than the Eibach.

Thanks for the info Kev ?

6 years isn't too bad imo, nothing lasts forever . I can supply H&R springs , along with OE shocks, top mounts etc etc

Cheers George, a pm has been sent to discuss.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've run with standard dampers and Eibach Sportlines for years. Had a weird issue where one of the front Sportlines had snapped after about two months of them being fitted. Had to buy a new one, then send the faulty one back to get the refund.

Since then - no issues at all. They would be the top of my list for a 3rd round refresh, anyway.

So making good use of the bank holiday weekend I had some spare time to swap my Cooksport springs over to the new H&R ones. Last year I had a full suspension refresh so everything was easily removed and the car was a pleasure to work on.
5234AB1D-0885-4B8F-9B40-0D5B7368BB93.jpeg
7B1EF2B3-7D77-45CD-BAA7-C0B15E1EEC4E.jpeg
9B3DA700-1A43-44FF-9101-4673AA6874C0.jpeg
188E02E3-6564-48D6-94EA-D87878EAD433.jpeg

First impressions of the new H&R springs after a short drive are very good, the ride is smoother and more forgiving than the previous Cooksports which is something I am very pleased about. The ride height is similar to Cooksports maybe a fraction higher but nothing too noticeable.

Also to mention Stephanie at Cooksport, she did get back to me and has offered to replace my broken spring which after 6 years is very good customer service so it’s a thumbs up to Cooksport for that ?.

Cheers

Jack

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
My cooksport spring snapped, they were 13 months and 7,000 miles old. cooksport didn't want to know. all i wanted was one new spring. Changed to gaz coilovers from kamracing. 3 years and 10 trackdays later no issues. *touches wood