ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snow Foam Problem!

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Hi,

I've been using Autobrites Magifoam and their HD foam lance for a good couple of months now. I went for both these products after many peoples recommendations. I thought they worked alright-ish but after looking on DW at other peoples experiences with them, I've been left a little disappointed as mine doesn't seem to stick on for long or remove much dirt.

By the time I've sprayed the whole car with the snow foam, a lot of it has already run off the car where I first started spraying it (if that makes sense). It doesn't give me enough time to get round the whole of the car with a brush to get into all the trims, shuts, etc. Other people have been saying that it can easily stay on their car for 10 mins+ but I've found that it only sticks on mine for a couple of minutes.

I've got the setting all the way to either the + or the -, can't remember which, I'm using it with hot water and I'm sure I'm using the correct amount. I spray it onto a dry car also as I've read that that is better than spraying onto a wet car.

Any ideas on anything I could be doing wrong? :S

What pressure washer are you using? The lower the power, the less "shaving foam" the consistency.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'm using a Nilfisk C110 atm.

Would adding a little shampoo help it stick d'you reckon? Or is there a specific way to spray it onto the car, e.g. bottom to top?

Top to bottom, but adding shampoo is more than likely to make matters worse.

Are there any leaks from the lance? Is the pressure washer new or running at full felt? I have the C120 and haven't had an issue with it pressure wise thus far, but these things do break.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I can squeeze the bottle and air can go out and in when the bottle is fixed to the lance. Didn't think that would be the problem though?

Pressure washer is only a couple of months old and it was brand new when I bought it so it should be OK.

Might get a few pics when I next do the car to illustrate what it's actually like.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Normally just put about an inch of snow foam in the bottle and top up with water.

Bumder With A Buffer
HAve you tried fiddling with the setting whilst its running?? I didnt notice if you said that.

I have the magifoam it it went on like this...This was after 10 mins....

731bab78.jpg

Couldnt get it off my drive for about 5 days FFS! Was done in the middle of winter though.

Mk2 172
JD- what do u recommend as an alternative snowfoam to the I4Detailing's own? I find its not THAT foamy especially compared to a friend that uses Meg Hyper Wash?

I use Hyper Wash, purely due to the dilution ratios and therefore cost implications.

I use to use Super Snow Foam and have tried Bilt Hambers Autofoam, but didn't find either of them gave anything over HW.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I would try the above. Turn it right up, start spraying and then turn it down. That may solve it.

Yeh, think I'll give that a try as mine seems to look thicker than Richy22's but doesn't stay on nowhere near as long.

Bear in mind, the better your car is protected, the less will stick to it... So my GTechniq C2 covered car shed snow foam faster than a friends' EGP'd car.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
That's a good point actually. Lost count of the number of layers of Werkstat Jett I've got on the car now. Normally stick on a couple of layers everytime I give the car a wash.

That might be your answer. Not a bad thing. If the snow foam is dropping off that quickly, you might find it is purely down to the cleaning abilities of the Werkstat. Dirt will therefore be dropping off at the same rate, you'll be pleased to know :)

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'll still give messing around with the setting a go the next time I come to use it.

Whilst on the subject of protection (LOL), I'm unsure of the amount of layers of Jett I've actually got on. When would you strip it all back and start again? Every 6 months or so?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I have teh same set up and this is what I found when I first used it. play with the adjuster, one side with full adjustment and the other side set to minimum and you'll find a nice setting in the middle.

I found getting a thicker foam that lasted longer required less water passing through the lance meaning you used considerably less product. I did 2 cars yesterday, each had 2 coatings, pre wash and final rinse after clay/ tar etc, one was a Yaris the other a Jag XF, and I used 1/4 - 1/3 of a bottle.

Mk2 172
I use Hyper Wash, purely due to the dilution ratios and therefore cost implications.

I use to use Super Snow Foam and have tried Bilt Hambers Autofoam, but didn't find either of them gave anything over HW.

My friend uses Hyper Wash and i must admit it does foam better. Is two pumps of HW using the pump attachment enough in the foam bottle?

I'm using a Nilfisk C110 atm.

Would adding a little shampoo help it stick d'you reckon? Or is there a specific way to spray it onto the car, e.g. bottom to top?

I have a lance from CYC and some of their foam. I found I had this problem too.

Now I put a drop about the size of a pea of Meg's gold class in with it, which as a shampoo gives great suds, and really gives it some proper stick. If I have the +/- on full then it won't actually run off the car! (using about the same amount of snow foam as you). I normally set the +/- around 3/4's the way around.

Also I have the nozzle set to almost closed so I end up with a very thin but wide spray of foam, which does tend to get all over the car. Rather than have it coming out the end in one long cyclinder of **** which just bounces off and makes a mess.