ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snow socks got me home :-)

Clio 182 FF Recaro
17122010157.jpg17122010155.jpg

Just wanted to show off the snow socks that got me home whilst everyone else is stuck at the bottom of the hill ;-p
I live on a hill side in Penmaenmawr, these snow socks cost me £40 in the summer from ebay (had problems last year so i got prepared for this winter), the socks slipped on in 5 min, you put half the sock on the tyre then move the car back a little and wrap the other half over the tyre, then drive off with a smug face whilst everyone else gets out to walk :)

Clio 182 FF Recaro
No studs its basically a canvas like grip material with elastic around the back, you have to buy them to fit individual size tyres as they're a tight fit. once they were on i didn't notice the snow, not even a slight slip.

Oh b****cks.

My boss has bought some of these. I was hoping they were a monumental waste of money and wouldn't help. Now I'll have to go to work! Lol.

Clio 182 FF Recaro
Worked great, chains work better but when you've got small clearance between the tyre and arch these are perfect.

Clio 182 FF Recaro
Wait till summer to order as you won't get them in time, and they'll drop £15/20 because their not in demand.
Maybe cliosport.net should sell branded ones ;-) we only need a couple of sizes.

Interesting. I read about these recently and was skeptical. Might have to get some for Mother Dearest. My parents live at the bottom of a steep hill and she's always worrying about being unable to get to work in the morning.

I've been using winter tyres over the last two days and I have to say they are awesome. So much more grip in snow than regular summer tyres. It has to be experienced to believe it. These snow sock things seem like a good idea for the small amount of snow that the UK gets.

Clio 182 FF Recaro
I was considering buying snow tyres and keeping them on for 2/3 months of the year (Nov to Jan), but £40 snow socks for the couple of days i might need them made more financial sense. Once i get a rear wheel drive i'll get Snow tyres :)

Clio 182 FF Recaro
Don't think they tested them for speed, just grip. I think if you drove them off the snow/ice they'd just tear off.

535d / t5 caravelle
looked into these last winter, was to late by the time i wanted them, was snowed in lol, but remember reading good reports, drive on them when the snow clears up or its on its way out and i seem to remember they will be f**ked in no time!

edit: just seem the above 2 posts

172 Race Car
I've been using winter tyres over the last two days and I have to say they are awesome. So much more grip in snow than regular summer tyres. It has to be experienced to believe it.
I know what your saying, winter tyres should be made law here, even on a cold wet road they are better than summer tyres by miles and in the snow, unbeliveable. (Ive not got them but drove a hire car for a week with them on)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I have heard of a few people using these and raving about them.

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I've been banging on about them to anyone that will listen for weeks!

No-one else on our road bar the dude in the range rover got up the hill apart from the missus' Corsa with the socks on, infact we went shopping with them on and the only cars on the road were 4x4's and the councils snow plough.

Not once did they lose traction.

They're limited to 30mph on snow, I had a few tarmac moments but I was doing 10mph so they were fine.

I got mine from www.roofbox.co.uk or they sell them at vauxhall main dealers - these ones are lessin your face than the op's crash test jobbies!

vauxhall-snow-socks-26-11-10.jpg

Last edited:

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
They're great, used them to get to the ski resorts instead of chains, yet to try them on the Clio though need to check they fit.

Can anyone remember the tyre width/profile on standard 200 alloys? Could save me a walk to the cold garage...

www.autosocks.co.uk

Last edited:

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Surely these are illegal. You are driving on the road with 0mm tread? (just thinking of crash situations for insurance)

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
They are fully approved for use in snow/ice, in fact in France they have the same legal approval as snow chains.... As far as grip goes, the tread rules do not make a lot of difference once the tyre is loaded with snow.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Seem like a great idea. I need a decent run-up to get past a 50ft or so incline on the lane near us. The problem being that the start of the run-up is a 90-degree junction. Taking it too fast could plough me into any traffic coming down the lane.

For the expense, these sound like a perfect option. I had to leave my car in the petrol station forecourt Friday night/Saturday morning as I couldn't get up the lane.

Definitely going to purchase some. :)

D.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Surely these are illegal. You are driving on the road with 0mm tread? (just thinking of crash situations for insurance)

The tread punches through the fabric still - you still see the full tyre pattern in the snow while driving with them on - if anything you gain an extra couple of mm of tread with the fabric acting as an extention.

One thing I will say is if you have a lowered car they take a few more mins to put on as you have to turn the wheels lock to lock to get them on before moving the car forwards or backwards - with the missus' corsa arch gaps you can pretty much throw them on.

Just read the Auto Sock website again, They do look very good,

I was having a bit of a fun time getting up a few hills yesterday... i always shrug it off after and saying to myself its only a day or two, brave it...

But realisticly for 50 quid... i would have paid 150 yesterday just so i knew i wouldnt be stuck for many hours on the off chance .

AUDI A5 s-sline
these look very good, i may have to ivest in some of these. as we seem to be getting alot of snow this year and no dobt going to get more in the new year.

also i take it that these are price dependant on the size of the tyre? :)