ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So, I'm thinking of buying a 182

Golf MK5 TDI
Hi Guys,

This is my 1st post here but I've been reading the forum for the past few weeks.

I owned a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo running 260bhp for 2.5 years which I sold about 3 years ago. I reluctantly sold it as we needed a family car after my girlfriend went part time after the birth of our daughter because she was no longer entitled to her company car. I bought a Golf MKV TDI and have hated it since I bought it. It's been very reliable and great on fuel but it's just so dull and pretty slow.

After owning the Golf for 3 years it's time for a change. I have a budget of about 8.5k to buy another family car. That is until last week when I decided I can't put up with driving dull cars anymore so now I've decided I'm going to buy 2 cars. I bought a Fiat Idea for £2500 this week as the family car which leaves me £6000 to buy something to put a smile on my face whilst driving again.

£6000 will be for the car + Insurance so looking at about £5000-£5500 for the car.

My requirements were:

Nothing expensive to maintain so not looking at Evo's or Scoobys
Not to bad on fuel so >30mpg
Nothing older than 7 years old
Must have rear seats
doesn't have to be rapid but must be fun to drive. 0-60 below 7.5 seconds

Top of my list so far is a Clio 182. 7 seconds 0-60, handles and returns 35mpg. £5000-£5300 will get me a 2005 with FSH inc cambelt and below 50 miles on the clock.

Others I'm considering are Civic Type R and BMW 330 CI

After looking at endless amounts of clio's over the past few weeks I have decided I would like to have the Recaro front seats :cool: I know these come standard in the Trophy model but a Decent trophy is usually £6000+ Ideally I would prefer to buy a FF 182 with Recaros fitted rather than a Trophy.

Were Recaro's available from renault as an optional extra or have people bought Recaros themselves and fitted them. Im finding it difficult finding non trophy models with Recaro's. Do 182's with Recaro's come up for sale very often?

My ideal car would be a Racing blue 182 with Recaro's. If anybody is selling or thinking of selling theirs in the next couple of months let me know :)

Dan

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Clio is the best all round car i have had . Very goog at everything i dont think you would be unhappy if you went the Clio way .

E46 M3
Recaros were an option but only 89 cars had them speced and only 3 of those were racing blue!

Golf MK5 TDI
Thanks Bognor. Good to hear positive comments from somebody who has also had a coop.

Thanks Ian_S. If that's the case then I don't think I have much hope in finding a 182 with recaro's which is a shame. Especially on in racing blue.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
On another side tho i did sell the clio and get the Coupe ...................... and have just done the same again lol :)

Thanks Bognor. Good to hear positive comments from somebody who has also had a coop.

Thanks Ian_S. If that's the case then I don't think I have much hope in finding a 182 with recaro's which is a shame. Especially on in racing blue.

182 is a good bet. The seats do come up for sale every now and again. Looking around 800 for a set.

Seems like you've done your research though.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Welcome mate.

They can't be beaten for the money. Check the usuals: belts, service book, HPI etc and you're laughing.

Let me know and I'll add you to the mailing list for our meetings. We have a huge turnout in Manchester.

Titanium 182
Well thought out post, you should be able to find a good one with that sensible hat you're wearing! Have you considered a Trophy? Might be at the higher end of your budget but comes specced with Recaro's already?

Welcome mate.

They can't be beaten for the money. Check the usuals: belts, service book, HPI etc and you're laughing.

Let me know and I'll add you to the mailing list for our meetings. We have a huge turnout in Manchester.

Can I be added? Studying at Huddersfield so not a million miles away! :eek:

Hyundai i40
You will love it, great all rounder and handle well

you will get 30+ mpg infact drive it well and u will get 40+

And plenty of space for child in it too

I had a 172 when my son was 0-3

you won't get a decent type-r for 5.5k, i was looking at 7k and still found pretty crap ones to be honest, and now i've got the clio i can definitely say, GET A CLIO! :) you won't regret it :)

Golf MK5 TDI
Welcome mate.

Sounds good. Do I need to PM you my email address or anything?

Golf MK5 TDI
£800 for recaro's seems expensive? How much do you think I would be able to sell the original 182 front seats for to recoupe some of the £800 back?

I like Recaro's but if I was going to add £800 to the price of a Clio 182 I may aswell just buy a Trophy?

Golf MK5 TDI
you won't get a decent type-r for 5.5k, i was looking at 7k and still found pretty crap ones to be honest, and now i've got the clio i can definitely say, GET A CLIO! :) you won't regret it :)

Exactly. Also the car will be older and it uses more fuel and cost about £200 a yer more for me to insure which is why the 182 is looking like the best option so far

£800 for recaro's seems expensive? How much do you think I would be able to sell the original 182 front seats for to recoupe some of the £800 back?

I like Recaro's but if I was going to add £800 to the price of a Clio 182 I may aswell just buy a Trophy?

It's one of those strange things that attracts some sort of 2nd hand Clio part tax. Same with the Cup spoiler.

Standard seats you'll struggle to get £200.

Golf MK5 TDI
It's one of those strange things that attracts some sort of 2nd hand Clio part tax. Same with the Cup spoiler.

Standard seats you'll struggle to get £200.

Thanks for that. Looks like I wont be having Recaro's then :dapprove:

There's a trophy in the Marketplace which can probably be had for £5k at the moment.

It does need £500 of work done to it though... CLICK

I wouldn't say it was a bargain, but it's not a bad price. Remember it's a Press Car so it's had a hard life.

I wouldn't buy that purely because it's got a simple problem that the seller simply can't be arsed to sort. Buy another fog. Then you don't have to write that it's broken, people won't knock you down on it etc.

Really annoys me when people list such trivial things that should be fixed. If they don't fix things like that, what else don't they fix?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Yea true, didn't see that bit ;)

With the right work done to it here and there it could be a real catch.

Not really, you buy it for £5k, then need to do spend £1k on 5 year service, belts, damage, etc, then another £500 on getting the dampers refurbed. And your still driving around in a press car thats been ragged to f*ck. Might as well just buy a minter in the 1st place ... like mine lol.

I wouldn't buy that purely because it's got a simple problem that the seller simply can't be arsed to sort. Buy another fog. Then you don't have to write that it's broken, people won't knock you down on it etc.

Really annoys me when people list such trivial things that should be fixed. If they don't fix things like that, what else don't they fix?

Exactly the reason why i won't buy a car off someone who can't read or write properly, if they're too lazy to even use a spell checker god knows what they've done too their car.

Golf MK5 TDI
Your perfect car is here.

Racing blue, Recaros, Trophy suspension:

Thanks for the link Sir Dave. I think the car has been tinkered with a little to much for my taste with the black alloys and rear bench removed. The mileage is a little high for a Clio with a £6000 asking price and the bodywork is damaged and needs repairing. If it had less miles, mint body work, standard alloys etc and about £700 less I would be tempted.

:D

Fabia vrs tdi
My racing blue 182 is up for sale still £3700 now fsh both cup packs on 76k but I'm the second owner doing 200 miles a week and want a family bardge - got married on the 3rd so need to free up cash for debt

It's a bargain, few mods decat- k&n induction kit, full janspeed supersports exhaust.

Could get yourself the recaros with extra cash and pay off your insurance.

Golf MK5 TDI
There's a trophy in the Marketplace which can probably be had for £5k at the moment.

It does need £500 of work done to it though... CLICK

Cheers Fubar. That Trophy seems cheap for a reason. Like you mentioned it has had a hard life but more importantly it doesn't seem to have been looked after either. I personally wouldn't sell a car which needed so many niggles sorting. I agree that it's also a poorly writen advert. I know the Trophy model is the best 182 but other than the Recaro's I prefer the FF + cup packs 182. The suspension, other trick bits and even the red colour doesn't really do it for me. I'd be paying a premium for extra's I wouldn't need just so I could have Recaro seat's. Give me a mint low mileage Racing blue with both cup packs and a full document service history over a Trophy any day.

Last edited:
  Golf MK5 TDI
Sounds very reasonably priced Chris but as you can probably tell I'm a bit of a fussy git! The mileage is higher than what I'm after unfortunatly. I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling yours will the full MOT and service history at that price.

Congratulations at getting married.

Thought you didn't want a Cup?

No xenons. Pikey seats/wheel. No auto lights/wipers. Different climate/AC (can never remember which)

Golf MK5 TDI
Thought you didn't want a Cup?

No xenons. Pikey seats/wheel. No auto lights/wipers. Different climate/AC (can never remember which)

Oh right. I didn't know that. So are the seats different in the FF than the cup? I'd prefer the Xenon lights. Auto wipers I'm not bothered about. I had brand new Clio 1.2 dynamique in 2001 when I was 20yr old and the auto wipers always went to fast and squeaked when they were rubbing on the windscreen.

Is there a sticky or anything showing the differences between the cup and FF. This is a great forum. I'm a fully paid up member now so I can view all the content.

Rusty Cup
If i knew what i now know i would probably have bought a 172 cup over a 182, i only turn the aircon on maybe once a year when im stuck on the motor way in mid summer and the servicing costs of a cup look very tempting!!